Sony Pictures Entertainment

Sony Pictures Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Sony Pictures Entertainment Co-Chairman and CEO Michael M. Lynton

Michael M. Lynton

Pros
  • Great work environment, paid internship, great learning opportunities, beautiful studio lot (in 16 reviews)

• Has great work life balance programs that help keep employees from getting burned out (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of my time there was good although there was no work/life balance in my position (all work) (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of communication in corporate policies or new policies (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company to work for in the Entertainment Industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSony is one of the larger entertainment companies and this allows great experiences for its employees and interns. All the individuals that work here love what they do.

ConsThe company is so large that you can occasionally feel like just another employee. The intern program occasionally included time consuming tasks that were not specific to our position but required.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great if more time was spent networking during the internship meetings.

Great internship experience

Intern (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsGreat work environment, paid internship, great learning opportunities, beautiful studio lot

ConsDefinitely wish I got to contribute a little more to my department, didn't get a chance to meet with other interns on a personal level.

Great internship experience that actually gave me Industry Experience

IPAX Compositing and Lighting Intern (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsGreat place to work.
    Given actual live shots that are in the movie
    Good artist training and additional education about the entertainment business
    Nice cafeteria with real food!
    Great campus.

ConsSuper steep learning curve.
    Hard to expect getting hired after the internship is over.
    Not sure how long the Sony Imageworks animation branch will last.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat internship program. Keep it up!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They've been good to me...

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsFor me they really fostered my personal and professional development over the past decade. I am a top performer so they rewarded me big and have kept giving me more and more to do.

ConsNothing is dealt with directly. Nepotism is alive and well. Group think is paralyzing at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at how decisions are being made and then how they are being executed. Group think can paralyze certain divisions especially when half the group doesn't believe in the decision. That half the group then becomes demoralized bringing down the morale of the entire group. Sometimes group think isn't the best way to go about things... To me I believe that we are missing true leaders in our company.

Machiavellian Nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, great quality of life, high-profile setting, incredible surroundings, nice perks

ConsWay too many lifers, stagnation, Dilbert-esque situations

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your reports accountable. Stop worrying about your jobs and tenure and start implementing real change. Have courage to make changes and follow Daniel Loeb's advice and remove yourselves from the thumb of Sony Corp to really find out what true innovation is.

Comfortable 15 years with a studio

Director of Finance (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat campus and location in Culver City

ConsSenior manage and investors, office culture

Great

ProsGreat Electronics Discount given to employees

ConsLike all films/Television shows - Long hours

Software Engineer

ProsGreat Compensation as a software engineer

ConsHigh layoff rates, regardless of where you are in the food chain. Your job is never stable.

Sony has an incredible internship program and provides a fantastic atmosphere for those curious about the ent. industry.

Intern (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsPAID; happy, welcoming people; relaxed, beautiful campus; learned about many different parts of the music business; had my own desk - really nice setup

ConsDidn't have many duties at all, didn't feel like the office took advantage of the presence of an intern, didn't have access to gym, didn't meet many other interns (I was the only intern in my office and there weren't many opportunities to meet others)

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure that the intern supervisors for each department have something set for interns to do; also maybe have more events for interns to network with each other - all the music interns together, all the marketing interns together, etc. etc. since these are the actual people we'll be competing against in the job market - good to know people your own age
    maybe give interns an opportunity to explore other offices within their department as well to see what the other internships in their field are like and what other internships sony offers

Great work life balance. Awesome campus.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsGreat work environment. Good salaries. Free movie screenings. Awesome gym. Subsidized lunches. Yearend holidays.

ConsLayoffs are common. Parking needs improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing great work.

Worked for Sony Pictures Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!