Sony PlayStation

Sony PlayStation Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sony PlayStation President & CEO Shawn Layden

Shawn Layden

Pros
  • Fun working environment, great work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• good life work balance, fun work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a HUGE disconnect and lack of communication between departments(in 5 reviews)

• Senior management lacks vision and have really tough time driving any projects(in 8 reviews)

Format Quality Assurance

Pros-Excellent community
    -On-site restaurant quality food
    -Good experience for Sony quality checks

Cons-Low pay and virtually no path to promotion
    -Perks tend to go to full time employees, ex. its a tough pill to swallow when you see a salaried employee walk away with a stack of free games every month when you can barely afford to buy one yourself, gym memberships are discounted for full time employees but not for contractors even though you are basically Sony employees. Huge company wide events are barred to contractors as well. Nothing huge but it ends up being very frustrating when you feel like a second class employee.

Good experience for those wanting to enter the industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat campus, fun product, opportunities to see how the department functions.

ConsContract workers usually get stuck as temps for years or indefinitely. Community is very high school-like. Low pay and not getting benefits despite working alongside the "Sony" employees makes contractors feel like second class citizens.

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGot lots of free stuff.

ConsThe culture is sometimes less than professional.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Place to Work

(Former Employee)

ProsVery good benefits. Talented co-workers. Long Christmas break.

ConsIneffective leadership and poor employee appreciation. Goals are not clearly defined, and you are reviewed upon incoherent goals created a month prior. Confusing structure, long hours, and poor treatment of employees. Very little opportunities to move upward and no tools to help you grow. Talented people do not stay very long.

Elitist and very boy's club. No female VPs ever. Brilliant women have either been laid off, left, or are not promoted. VPs hire their buddies or ...groomsmen.

Does not pay competitively, HR will low-ball you so they can get their bonus. HR covers management's rears. And a handful of them act inappropriately.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate and recognize employees, support growth, choose effective leaders.

Not what I thought it would be, pretty disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsPut on projects right away. I think there are opportunities there, some people had worked there over ten years. Glad to figure out pretty quickly, it wasn't the place for me

ConsThe manager I worked under was a bit of a scatter brain, went back and forth on promises a lot. Contracting company lowballed me. While working there I was shocked at the lack of planning for the launch, like it had never happened before.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck

Sony PlayStation

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsPeople are very friendly and fun

ConsVery disorganized. No processes in place for software development, project management and product management, which makes things very confusing when you are trying to accomplish something!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease institute processes in place for software development, project management and product management!

Good experience to move foward...

(Former Employee)

ProsThe projects I was able to work on was very rewarding (personally).

Cons...It was sad to know that management did not know my daily work, and were constantly asking what I was working on every day. I thought that as a manager, this person should definitely know what I'm working on, I mean, I got hired for the specified job that was listed right?

Work Life Balance

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsFun working environment, great work/life balance. Great on site cafe and work out facility

ConsManagement, management, management. Either good manager but, not strong enough to outweigh bad popular strategies for the company or bad manager with 'power' to make non strategic or profitable decisions for the company. There are definitely some good/strong managers in the bunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeeding out the dead weight is needed ASAP for PS to thrive up to their expectations.

PlayStation is just as fun as you would imagine.

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe culture is very open and everything revolves around the consumer which is something I havent seen in many other companies. The way that management gives freedom to its groups allows for greater creative freedom to develop ideas (always taking into consideration the needs of its consumers)

ConsSony corporate policies can sometimes overshadow the PS irrelevant culture. Bureaucracy and antiquated processes create some major frustrations when it comes to executions.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prostime off, compensation bonus, vacation

Consschedules, work load, resources, growth, promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job !

Worked for Sony PlayStation? Contribute to the Community!