Sony PlayStation

Sony PlayStation Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sony PlayStation President & CEO Shawn Layden

Shawn Layden

Pros
  • Fun working environment, great work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• good life work balance, fun work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a HUGE disconnect and lack of communication between departments(in 5 reviews)

• Senior management lacks vision and have really tough time driving any projects(in 8 reviews)

Playstation is going downhill, rapidly

Sony PlayStation Merchandising Account Representative (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI'm a field rep and don't have to deal with all the BS at corporate office on a dailyy basis

ConsDealing with management that is clueless, unflexible in their policies, corporate wastes money, they think the impossible can always be accomplished by their field reps in accounts that are suffering

Advice to Senior ManagementGET A CLUE

Greatness Awaits?

Video Games (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsNew campus and cafeteria are nice. Good product that gamers are enthusiastic about.

ConsOutdated corporate culture, slow to adapt to new technology. Hasn't incorporated the mobile culture that now dominates silicon valley. Nepotism across the organization, candidates are hired and receive promotions based on previous business relationships. The existing workforce though qualified, stagnates. Open reqs get filled
    through the back door and then posted to 'Career Opprtunities'.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease review the 'cons' section.

Great co-workers, zero career advancement

Marketing (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

Pros- The people at PlayStation are passionate about the products we're assigned to, and its apparent in our work. We are pushed hard to accomplish a lot with little time.
    - There are many resources from within the company to manifest outward facing communication.
    - on-site gym and cafeteria.

Cons- We work so fast, that we forget about our own careers... and HR does not seem to care. Our goals for the fiscal year are written within the last two month of the year, rendering them meaningless.
    - Prerequisites for promotion are vague. When a straight answer is obtained from management, the prerequisites change by the end of the year, making promotion impossible to achieve. Some employees stay in the same position for a decade (or more) before promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees and invest in their development for a smarter, more efficient workforce.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's A Good Place To Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsFlexible hours, good benefits good PTO friendly co-workers good location

ConsBalance between work and life not good, pay is not equal to other studios culture has changed

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the way the studio was

Great place to work. Bridging the gap between corporate and playful lifestyles.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsEmployee discounts are pretty generous. The new Bridgepointe building is pretty awesome.

ConsDepending on where you are coming from, traffic can be a pain.

Accountant (Contract)

Accountant (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsNice play to work, nice building, very high tech

ConsProject ended without 2 weeks notice

Focused, collaborative, open work environment

Community Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood co-workers, responsive support staff, thorough benefits, and no shortage of resources at one's disposal (provided management can be convinced of an idea's validity).

ConsSporadic work hours, inconsistent passion / motivation levels amongst employees, a general sense of money being much more important than corporate reputation or product quality

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting passionate workers leave for other companies. It seemed to be happening a lot whilst employed there.

OK place to work but not god for long term.

QA Tester (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFun work enviroment, decent hours and pay.

ConsThey will keep you as a temp for many years so they won't have to give you benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter benefits and perks for employees. Everyone feels pretty expendable.

No room for advancement, unless you work in corporate office

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, and good perks, great hard working co-workers

ConsUnorganized management, poor planning for projects. Promote office staff that is clueless

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job planning projects

Legal

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat collaborative environment. Most talented pool of dedicated and passionate employees. If you like being a part of creative and fun work enviroment-apply at playstation :)

ConsI felt that there were limited opportunities for women. Predominantly male-centric company. Lack of internal promotability which results in attrition of key talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more opportunities to the existing employee base. Semiannual performance measurement matrix with hard and enforces goals. Encourage creativity among producers.

Worked for Sony PlayStation? Contribute to the Community!