Sony PlayStation

Sony PlayStation Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sony PlayStation President & CEO Shawn Layden

Shawn Layden

Pros
  • Fun working environment, great work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• good life work balance, fun work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a HUGE disconnect and lack of communication between departments(in 5 reviews)

• Senior management lacks vision and have really tough time driving any projects(in 8 reviews)

A great time!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsLots of fun events, perks and people to work with

ConsToo many unproductive meetings without enough time to do actual work.

Very fun internship that exposed me to a wide variety of PlayStation titles and technologies.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIf you like working with Playstation titles and/or on Playstation tech, this is the place to be.

ConsIt is a very large company, and it can be easy to feel like you've been lost in the crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value your new talent's perspective. It can be a breath of fresh air.

I enjoy the mix of responsibilities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsNew campus, nice cafeteria, discounts on playstation items.

ConsLike any company you have some bright folks and others that need handholding.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, the company is moving in the right direction

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to grow with a team.

Senior QA Engineer (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

Pros- Stable company.
    - Great benefits.
    - Good work/life balance.
    - Telecommuting possibilities.
    - Knowledgeable employees.

ConsManagement does not grow employees from withing the company.
    Very hard to move up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of the core management principles is to promote you best resources, encourage them to succeed.
    People will eventually leave the company, no matter how good the place is, as there is no room for growth there.

Meaningful

QA Professional (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsExperience in testing, free soda, up to date on all gaming trends.

ConsThe groups are clicky and group oriented. Easy to not fit in

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the high turn around and cherish your employees

Perfect if you don't ever want to advance

PlayStation Representative (Current Employee)

ProsExciting industry, cutting edge enterainment products. Flexibility to plan your schedule from Jan-October.

Get to try the products first, huge discounts on PlayStation products.

ConsDisorganized R.A.D. department that doesn't give you the tools to effectively do your job and manage your territory.

Absolutely no opportunity for advancement, as they fill 100% of the open management positions from outside the organization (within the past 3 years anyway).

Unattainable goals, too much work in too short of deadline to get completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within. Family values are on your mission statement, however a PTO blackout longer than our retail partners is unfair. Hiring from outside the company has to stop, Jack Tretton needs to take a close look at how his Senior VP's are performing...

Excellent company to work for

Senior PR Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery stimulating creative environment. Management is professional and takes an invested interest in employees.

ConsMy personal experience was that I had a 57 mile commute one way in heavy traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job and best of luck with the launch of the PlayStation 4

Fun, energetic company

Department Assistant (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsLoads of employee activities. Gym & restaurant on new campus.

ConsNo career advancement. Not much telecommuting allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees.

Talent Acquisition

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat Leadership, the whole company is on the same page with the PS4 launch, everyone seems to be moving in the same direction, Tons O Fun!!!!

Consno shuttle bus from the train station

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Great work!!

Effort seeking purpose

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat benefits
    Strong tradition
    Stability in a fluid industry

ConsThe dichotomy of purpose - serve the platform/serve the games, permeates all aspects of the business.
    The uber-traditional hierarchal structure impedes the innovation and growth they so crave.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten out; allow managers, senior managers, and directors to make decisions appropriate decisions without escalating all the way to the top. If you can't trust your leadership, address that; let your creative minds breathe in all groups.

Worked for Sony PlayStation? Contribute to the Community!