Sony PlayStation

Updated December 18, 2014
3.3

Sony PlayStation President & CEO Shawn Layden
Shawn Layden

Pros
  • Fun working environment, great work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Great people, culture and generally a fun place to work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management tends to micromanage and does not allow staff to make critical decisions (in 9 reviews)

• There is a HUGE disconnect and lack of communication between departments (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Professional and laid back

I worked at Sony PlayStation

Pros

Free coffee, laid back testing environment, no stress, and lots of gaming

Cons

Low pay, could get let go at any time, some coworkers can be idiotic

I would like if there were more opportunities available

Do not work here unless you are a geek gamers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-good discounts on first party products with the exception of hardware
    -decently large company so you're bound to meet someone you like
    -expectations are not too high for employee performance, if you are a decently smart person you can pretty much flat by forever and not worry about getting let go(if that is the type of career you want), leading the the number of incompetent employees who have been around for 5-10 years. however this does not take into account the random employee layoffs due to poor Sony (parent organization) performance

Cons

-In the marketing organization, hiring is essentially based on your knowledge of the gaming industry, hence I was surrounded by a lot of incompetent colleagues who just know the industry very well. It was ridiculous some of the things I had to teach people who had 5+ years experience.
    -Management operates in a black box - very little transparency of where the company is headed or what is going on
    -You are surrounded by a lot of gamer geeks who know little of anything but gaming. Very knowledgeable on the topic but have little knowledge on other topics
    -Very bureaucratic and slow organization. Lots of work is done just for the sake of doing the work and half the reports and analysis created is not utilized and is truly a waste of time
    -They try very hard to portray themselves as a fun tech/gaming company, but in reality the organization is structured like a old slow company, it's just that folks will sit and play games so they think it is start-up like
    -Very slow and hard to get promoted. Lots of the incompetent gamers who have worked very hard to get into this company never leave, hence it's very hard to move up as openings rarely present themselves. This company does nor necessarily promote based on performance.
    -People seem to get promoted based on amount time in company as opposed to performance. Even someone was performing way beyond expectations won't get a promotion because "it has only been 2 years since you joined"
    -Review process is really a joke - it's literally a check of the box, management is very weak in this department and does not do anything to develop employees
    -This company lends itself to brown nosing. Sycophants do very well in this company even if their performance is lacking.
    -Non one in the marketing organization does their own work. They ask certain support/analytics teams and external vendors to essentially do all the heavy lifting and just package everything and present it to management as their own.
    -Pay is okay at entry level - because you start as hourly - this makes your salary pretty competitive, but once promoted, your salary will take a hit because you are no longer hourly

-hire based on better criteria
    -operate with more transparency
    -don't ask employees to do work that won't be used or be impactful
    -better review process
    -take into account employee feedback

Very disorganized and a terrible place to be a contractor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Looks good on resume, ample opportunity to network (depending on your team)

Cons

- Pay is FAR below market (I have made 2-3x more at every other job in the industry)
    - Management was abysmal and highly disorganized
    - Lots of HR violations
    - High school levels of immaturity and favoritism, tons of invented drama encouraged by management
    - No real training for many roles
    - No cohesive relationships between divisions or teams
    - Lots of technology and organizational protocols are either completely absent or several years behind competitors
    - There is NO documentation of process for most teams
    - For every 1 hard worker, there seems to be dozens of coasters
    - Negative attitudes towards competitors is encouraged
    - They treat contractors extremely poorly; hire people for one thing and change your role without discussion, they promise a role is temp-to-perm when in reality they rarely convert temps to perm, contractors are expected to carry most of the weight on a team without reward or recognition, many contractors are forced to work over-time for zero pay (illegal) during crunch time, and there is a very poor attitude among f/t staff towards their contractor peers in general.

Overall, it is not worth the hassle and low pay unless you are offered a permanent f/t role and get a very reassuring picture of how your prospective team functions.

Pay people something comparable to what they could make at any game developer/publisher in the US, if you want top level talent. Do not lie in interview/recruiting processes to lure people into a role on false promises. Treat contractors with respect. Police the immaturity and inappropriate drama that seems to be encouraged.

I wouldn't recommend PlayStation to a friend

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with my immediate team. Great, smart, talented people. But woefully under-appreciated. PlayStation has great product, from the console to the games. The product is the organization's only saving grace. A new CEO is a glimmer of hope, but it's going to take a while to get PlayStation and the larger SONY organization back on track. I had a fair amount of work/life balance, that and my team were the ONLY thing that was in the "pro" column when I was considering leaving. In the end, my career legacy is about the quality of my work and there were way too many ridiculous barriers in my way. So, I had to move on.

Cons

Where should I start... The structure of SCE (the larger PlayStation organization) is a fundamental barrier to doing business well. The silos are so entrenched and often are working at cross-purposes. If leaders don't get what they want from another function, they find ways to go around what's standing in the way, whether it makes good business sense or not! There are some creative genius/leaders in the organization (especially the studios), but they're TERRIBLE leaders and are just allowed to act like jerks and do things that NO OTHER business would or should put up with. The HR department is a total disaster! There are too many people who have been there too long. And unfortunately, they've worked their way up from the bottom to leadership positions. At another reasonably successful company, these leaders would have never worked their way past administrative assistant, or whatever entry level job they started in. Just because you're fun to hang out with after work, does not qualify you for a promotion!

Take a true assessment of your director and above talent. You have some serious problems with integrity and leadership across the organization.

Workplace

Current Employee - FQA in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - FQA in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in! The people are nice and the campus is a fun place to be when we have game releases. The shuttle from Caltrain (Hillsdale) in San Mateo drops you off a block away from the campus.

Cons

The cafe food is ok. The only problem is they cook everything prior to lunch so it is not as warm as some would like.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - PlayStation Representative
    Current Employee - PlayStation Representative

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility and work from home office. Manage your own time..great benefits and perks.

Cons

Work load overwhelming and not compensated for all time worked..mostly administrative work.

Keep employees happy..bigger bonuses and better compensation.

Not good.

Current Employee - Senior Eradication Specialist in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Eradication Specialist in College Station, TX

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Low Pay. Long Hours. No Vacation.

Lose some weight.

Recruiter

I have been working at Sony PlayStation

Pros

Love the product. Fast pace. Nice campus.

Cons

Very silo. No HR vision or plan in order to engage or retain employees. HR does not seem to care about people

Upper management is lacking

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun and exciting environment.
    Producing products with end user recognition and appreciation.
    Hard working and passionate colleagues.

Cons

Poor and uncommunicative upper management (director level and above).
    Slow career progression.
    Still disconnects and silos between groups in SCEA and with other Sony divisions.

This may sound like sour grapes but bear with me. I believe that upper management at PlayStation is severely lacking, both in communication and grooming their teams for future progression. My career at Sony I had always had meeting or exceeding goals in my reviews until my final year where I had only partially meeting goals / expectations overall and was put on a performance improvement plan with no earlier, formal verbal or written warning beyond the annual review itself. I had been told that there were concerns going back for years but none of my previous directors or even the department VP conveyed any of this to me. From my weekly and bi-weekly 1-on-1s and my performance reviews, everything seemed fine. This past year, I and my team had a lot of challenges, attempting to produce software and services for use not only by PlayStation but other products as well. We only met some of my goals but my director was not helpful in any meaningful regards. While he had "engineering" in his title, the only tools he used were project management related. I feel that I kept asking for support throughout the year but received nothing other than pressure to deliver and no honest feedback until it all seemed too late. I left disappointed in a company I had committed most of my career to. I learned later that my position was eliminated and the funds split to support another member of the group and an incoming new upper manager from Tokyo which makes it all seem odd.

My suggestions: Upper management should have domain expertise to the groups under them so that they can intervene and make intelligent decisions when necessary. If they don't, the positioning of a group needs to be re-evaluated to someone more capable, not just someone who has free direct reports or maybe a matching personality. Furthermore, while there is never ending lip service of communication being paramount and techniques like Crucial Conversations, FUEL and other buzzwords tossed about, I never saw any of these in practice by their advocates. If you want your managers to be successful, don't just advocate studying a book or taking a class once a year but actively work with the manager hands on in developing these important management skills.

Fun and relaxed culture

Current Employee - Paralegal
    Current Employee - Paralegal

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with really smart and creative people. Independent thinkers, even in the legal department people are fun, open-minded and know how to have fun while working hard and knowing their stuff. Great time off after Christmas (don't have to take your vacation hours), Pay is decent but not astounding, bonuses are good for those who do their work and do it well.

Cons

Can get competitive or weird among certain individuals who are very unique and maybe a bit off. They are a bit behind the times in tech resources for a tech company. Legal department employees use a somewhat annoying database, and the email system was backwards when I worked there. I hear they've since upgraded it.

Provide more room for growth for employees looking for challenges.

Sony PlayStation Photos