Sony PlayStation

Sony PlayStation Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sony PlayStation President & CEO Shawn Layden

Shawn Layden

Pros
  • Fun working environment, great work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• good life work balance, fun work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a HUGE disconnect and lack of communication between departments(in 5 reviews)

• Senior management lacks vision and have really tough time driving any projects(in 8 reviews)

As an animator, don't count on steady work, but it's a good short term opportunity

Animator (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsYou get the chance to contribute to AAA Titles
    Overall, the culture is a fun one and people get along.
    Animation supervisors seem to distribute work in a pretty fair way.

ConsThere is consistent overtime for artists.
    They tend to lay people off when projects are finished.
    There is overtime pay, but no profit sharing or bonuses for contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlmost all artists are contractors. I feel like you could redesign this to give a greater percentage of them the peace of mind of a staff position.

Silos, Silos and more silos

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat brand, relaxed atmosphere, cheap games

ConsCompensation and benefits are not competitive
    Organizational structure is inflexible and more suitable to industrial manufacturing
    Things are done like in the 90s
    Free training lacks depth and portability
    Silos...everywhere

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from other companies, restructure and put a retention strategy in place. Staff according to operational needs in order to allow senior management to focus more on planning.

Every man for himself

ProsWork on games enjoyed by millions of people. Flexible hours and attire (like holy Australian Nightmare you wouldn't believe the way we dress for work). Excellent facilities with numerous amenities (gym, pool, aerobics, etc.)

ConsOur culture is heavily siloed and relies on ad-hoc individual contributions. There is a very need-to-know culture of secrecy around almost everything. I don't think anyone has spent any time developing and promoting wholesome institutional habits. So, everything falls on the shoulders of individuals and when they leave that bit of institutional knowledge inevitably goes with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote teamwork. Communicate openly (not like Layden's 2014 company meeting).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's PlayStation...what else needs to be said

ProsAmazing environment, awesome culture, insane benefits

ConsSlight lack of overall organization

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team building exercises would be epic

Decent Place to Work!

Prosgood work-life balance, great bonuses at year end, best PTO policy & the number of days I have ever come across, fun people to work!

Consonly get promoted or moved to a new role if an employee leaves the position; depending on the manager you work for, they truly are interested in your growth and knowledge enhancement

Advice to Senior Managementif you don't have as much social interaction with clients or other coworkers for your job to get done, then you should be able to work from home because all you need is your laptop; should offer pay in line with industry standards; if you ask your employees to complete surveys for the company, then take the recommendations provided and try implementing them if feasible

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExciting place to work especially if you are into gaming.

ConsHave no clue how some got hired and can stay hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep only hard working people and don't be afraid of cutting off lazy ones.

Awesome company and GREAT NEW LEADERSHIP!!!

Human Resources/Recruiting (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsLeadership, with NEW CEO and Leadership being updated there is no limits for Sony.
    * Andrew House - CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment - This guy invented and has successful launched and built the PlayStation Brand & Company
    * Shawn Layden New President & CEO of SCEA - Progressive Studio and Networking leader, this guy knows how to lead and build games, oh ya and put the games on the network !!!
    * David Perry - CEO of Gaikai - This guy a a total Rock Star and is going to change online gaming, check him out on TED talks.

ConsSlow to update. Yep some thing internal need to be updated and Sony tends to error on the side of being cautious rather then leading the efforts, Although it seems the new leadership is not afraid to march forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to the outside world and bring in exceptional talent to help move the company forward. It's time to upgrade from your legacy people and systems and bring in Silicon Valley expertise to push SCEA to the next level.

Great place to work, but can be difficult if you are Contract

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFriendly, welcoming, fun people. Great atmosphere and a nice location in sunny San Diego. The San Diego campus works with some great companies and on some really cool IPs.

Cons75% of the jobs are contract positions, with little to no job security once the project ends, and it doesn't look like that is changing any time soon. The people at the top seem out of touch with everyone else. Since most positions are contract, there is not much room for growth of career.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider bringing on more full-timers rather than so many contract positions.

Tremendous experience in 2012-1013 as the employees rallied behind the mission to win the next gen console war.

Senior Director (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe people, the commitment, the interesting industry, the opportunities to grow and do things you will never do at another company.

ConsThe bureaucracy. You sometimes feel like you have a big challenge and it is difficult to move the support infrastructure to make it happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eyes on the big opportunities but pay attention to how cross departmental functions are working. Use your influence to improve infrastructure and processes.

Well run department and great product so fun to work there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery professionally managed department. There was lots of opportunity for learning and access to necessary resources.

ConsNot much upward mobility. The people ahead of you were probably not going anywhere.

Worked for Sony PlayStation? Contribute to the Community!