Sony PlayStation

Updated November 20, 2014
3.5

Sony PlayStation President & CEO Shawn Layden
Shawn Layden

Pros
  • Fun working environment, great work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• good life work balance, fun work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management tends to micromanage and does not allow staff to make critical decisions (in 9 reviews)

• There is a HUGE disconnect and lack of communication between departments (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Upper management is lacking

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun and exciting environment.
    Producing products with end user recognition and appreciation.
    Hard working and passionate colleagues.

Cons

Poor and uncommunicative upper management (director level and above).
    Slow career progression.
    Still disconnects and silos between groups in SCEA and with other Sony divisions.

This may sound like sour grapes but bear with me. I believe that upper management at PlayStation is severely lacking, both in communication and grooming their teams for future progression. My career at Sony I had always had meeting or exceeding goals in my reviews until my final year where I had only partially meeting goals / expectations overall and was put on a performance improvement plan with no earlier, formal verbal or written warning beyond the annual review itself. I had been told that there were concerns going back for years but none of my previous directors or even the department VP conveyed any of this to me. From my weekly and bi-weekly 1-on-1s and my performance reviews, everything seemed fine. This past year, I and my team had a lot of challenges, attempting to produce software and services for use not only by PlayStation but other products as well. We only met some of my goals but my director was not helpful in any meaningful regards. While he had "engineering" in his title, the only tools he used were project management related. I feel that I kept asking for support throughout the year but received nothing other than pressure to deliver and no honest feedback until it all seemed too late. I left disappointed in a company I had committed most of my career to. I learned later that my position was eliminated and the funds split to support another member of the group and an incoming new upper manager from Tokyo which makes it all seem odd.

My suggestions: Upper management should have domain expertise to the groups under them so that they can intervene and make intelligent decisions when necessary. If they don't, the positioning of a group needs to be re-evaluated to someone more capable, not just someone who has free direct reports or maybe a matching personality. Furthermore, while there is never ending lip service of communication being paramount and techniques like Crucial Conversations, FUEL and other buzzwords tossed about, I never saw any of these in practice by their advocates. If you want your managers to be successful, don't just advocate studying a book or taking a class once a year but actively work with the manager hands on in developing these important management skills.

Recruiter

I have been working at Sony PlayStation

Pros

Love the product. Fast pace. Nice campus.

Cons

Very silo. No HR vision or plan in order to engage or retain employees. HR does not seem to care about people

Great place to work but not a great deal of opportunity to progress

I have been working at Sony PlayStation

Pros

Great people, culture and generally a fun place to work

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to progress and can end up pigeon holed in the industry. Generally systems and technology aren't at the level you would expect. Salaries and packages aren't at the level you would expect

More attractive salaries and more opportunities to grow in the business would help retain staff

Great company to work for

Current Employee - PlayStation Representative
    Current Employee - PlayStation Representative

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility and work from home office. Manage your own time..great benefits and perks.

Cons

Work load overwhelming and not compensated for all time worked..mostly administrative work.

Keep employees happy..bigger bonuses and better compensation.

Fun and relaxed culture

Current Employee - Paralegal
    Current Employee - Paralegal

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with really smart and creative people. Independent thinkers, even in the legal department people are fun, open-minded and know how to have fun while working hard and knowing their stuff. Great time off after Christmas (don't have to take your vacation hours), Pay is decent but not astounding, bonuses are good for those who do their work and do it well.

Cons

Can get competitive or weird among certain individuals who are very unique and maybe a bit off. They are a bit behind the times in tech resources for a tech company. Legal department employees use a somewhat annoying database, and the email system was backwards when I worked there. I hear they've since upgraded it.

Provide more room for growth for employees looking for challenges.

Fun and professionally stimulating place to work

Former Employee - Business Planning in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Planning in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People, working conditions, relaxed environment, plenty of excellent people in Senior Management, Playstation makes you feel passionate about the brand

Cons

SCEE and SNEE segregation (very distant worlds). No 3rd party games allocation. Questionable pricing strategies.

Like many other businesses PS management focuses a lot on the short term results with a lack of vision of medium to long term implications.
    Very good decisions were taken on the years I have been working there although the business needs to move from finger in the air to a numbers and commercial gaming run business

Greatness truly is here

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work-Life Balance. Fun environment. Excellent Vacation and perks. Bonus shoots up when PlayStation does well in the market. The freedom to express yourself in your work. Excellent managers.

Cons

Too relaxed. People tend to not work at all and expect to be paid. Management is a bit up tight. Their budgets take forever.

High time to come up to pace with the leading technologies in the market.

Joke!

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people to work with.

Cons

Management is clueless and ego's are rentless. In addition, there is no work life balance whatsoever.

Why should I type it? They never listen anyway.

Great place, if you are passionate about gaming

Former Employee - Intern in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Lots of smart, passionate people working here
    - Marketing team is on the cutting edge and does great work
    - Friendly, informal and fun working culture where people are ready to help out

Cons

- Lots of miscommunication and logistical issues with Japanese management
    - Don't have perks like other newer gaming cos
    - You'll enjoy your time here more if you are a true gaming nerd

Pay industry level compensation so you can retain quality talent.

Fun Place to work, lack of professionalism from upper management

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time

Pros

Great industry to work for. Company is good, good benefits, and some passionate co-workers.

Cons

Lack of process and some managers they have difficulties in delegating and sharing work.

Choosing better the management team in order to have a better place for the ones that work under these managers.

Sony PlayStation Photos