Sony PlayStation

Updated September 11, 2014
3.4

Sony PlayStation President & CEO Shawn Layden
Shawn Layden

Pros
  • Fun working environment, great work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• good life work balance, fun work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a HUGE disconnect and lack of communication between departments (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management lacks vision and have really tough time driving any projects (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked here for 8 years and learned a lot about the gaming industry

Former Employee - QA Professional  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - QA Professional in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Reliable employment with a focus on growth through experience.

Cons

Limited upward mobility and inadequate compensation.

Exciting place as a software engineer.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you have a good engineering skill, there are a lot of opportunities to be engaged in state-of-the-art gaming technology. There are also a lot of talented people and you can build good connections.

Cons

It is difficult to change the efficiency of the development process. It seems a bit inefficient to me.
    Because of lack of training aid, you need to improve your skill by yourself. Good external connections will help you a lot.

Overall a very good company to work for.

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are friendly, easy going and motivated. I see this when we have people volunteer for a flash mob dance at a recent event and also during a habitat for humanity outside the country. Everyone is also focused on the department goals and work in general.

Cons

For my department. No to little upward mobility and one has to check positions from other department although management has implemented some exposure (i.e. shadowing people) to other departments and other positions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mostly incompetent leadership at the C level and manager level.

Former Employee - QA Professional  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - QA Professional in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount on games and console hardware. That's it.

Cons

Lack of competency at C level and manager level. Departments are silos with managers protecting their own turfs at the expense of the whole company. Company culture is one of "I don't know what you are doing and I don't care as long as my project goes forward." Best talents leave and incompetents stay behind and walk the halls like dinosaurs.

Be honest with candidates at the job interviews. Don't paint a rosy picture just to get people in the door.

Great for Gamers!

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay, employee oriented, early access to games and beta testing. They care about the happiness of their employees and offer multiple avenues for career advancement.

Cons

Long hours, mediocre benefit packages, salaried employees will definitely earn their paycheck. Upper management has little to no knowledge of what goes on. Its all about the numbers

Take care of the little guy

Great Brand, Poor Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. For a year or so, you will love working for a great brand like PlayStation with lots of other really smart and dedicated people.

Cons

1. Much of the management embarassingly lacks basic business and management skills and follows an HR-imposed and outdated Japanese style of people managing that encourages a strong disconnection between everyone.
    2. The work culture experience varies from person to person, but there is little of it that extends beyond the walls of the building. You might or might not enjoy dealing with your co-workers, but at the end of the day, few are truly friends in real life. That's sad.
    3. There is little loyalty among co-workers and certainly none from the company to its staff.
    4. The company pays below market rate, so be sure you want to work there for the name to put on the resume, but don't feel obliged to stay more than a year or two.
    5. It will chew you up and spit you out.

If you do not have a proper business background or an appropriate degree supporting your job description's minimum responsibilities, please fire yourself. This is problematic up to at least Sr Director levels, and is an underlying problem causing many greater issues. It is not epidemic, but more common than it should be.
    HR—get a clue, not just in this, but in every aspect of your line of work.

Great place to work if your boss is not insane

Former Employee - Senior Producer  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company, great folks working there, great team spirit.

Cons

Some of the emperors have no clothes

Breakout of the silo mentality

For perms, 20% of staff, awesome. for the rest. discarded as easily as gained.

Former Employee - Game Test Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Game Test Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

New big titles free, like Uncharted 3, fun atmosphere most of the time. Cheap soda machine and free K-cup coffee.

Cons

1 perm tester for every 15+ temps. Harsh hiring transition process that often translates more into who you know and likes you as opposed to how well you work. Often, but not always, have supervisors who show up late and clearly were never good at even your job. Work is fluctuating highly, often only 6 months of the year of high work load, rest of the year maybe half the available temps are used.

Better review overtime listings for permanents on weekends, as often there were as many or more perms then temps and they often had 2-3 hour of work a day between them. Only 1 would put in a half days work, others would just be there to collect OT. In San Diego well below desired income, most employees lived with parents or a large number of room mates.

Every man for himself

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work on games enjoyed by millions of people. Flexible hours and attire (like holy Australian Nightmare you wouldn't believe the way we dress for work). Excellent facilities with numerous amenities (gym, pool, aerobics, etc.)

Cons

Our culture is heavily siloed and relies on ad-hoc individual contributions. There is a very need-to-know culture of secrecy around almost everything. I don't think anyone has spent any time developing and promoting wholesome institutional habits. So, everything falls on the shoulders of individuals and when they leave that bit of institutional knowledge inevitably goes with them.

Promote teamwork. Communicate openly (not like Layden's 2014 company meeting).

Silos, Silos and more silos

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great brand, relaxed atmosphere, cheap games

Cons

Compensation and benefits are not competitive
    Organizational structure is inflexible and more suitable to industrial manufacturing
    Things are done like in the 90s
    Free training lacks depth and portability
    Silos...everywhere

Learn from other companies, restructure and put a retention strategy in place. Staff according to operational needs in order to allow senior management to focus more on planning.

Worked for Sony PlayStation? Contribute to the Community!