Sony PlayStation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

I've been at Sony for 2.5 years

I have been working at Sony PlayStation

Pros

This is a great place to work. A lot of good perks. Gym on campus, great cafe with catering option. Friendly empoyees from executives on down.

Cons

Everyone works so hard that sometimes everyone is not recognized for the hard work they do. Sometimes the food in the cafe is to fancy

2. Happy

I have been working at Sony PlayStation

Pros

Atmosphere, management (locally, at least). Not a corporate environment. Creative, driven people.

Cons

Location in Playa Vista a bit remote. In the rare instances of having to deal with "corporate" (HR, Finance), I am driven to madness.

Advice to Management

By any means necessary, send word upward to corporate as to how their dysfunction negatively affects the company. Continue to buffer us from them to keep the local atmosphere as positive as it is. Work/Life balance is often verbally stressed, yet doesn't really take in practice.

Worst place to work for. Promote office bullies across the entire sales department.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation

Pros

Free coffee and milk. Free food and old games ocassionally.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive, and much lower than other companies in the area. Career advancement is driven by favorism, not ability, performance, or hardwork. Managers and directors abuse their power, bully, and mistreat employees. Their behaviors are unprofessional and immature like high school bulliers than working professionals. People do nothing due to fear for their career. Many support or even copy these behaviors creating toxic work environment across the entire sales department.

Advice to Management

Get rid off toxic bosses and punish bad behaviors. Promote positive work environment by treating everyone with respect. This can't be done by talking, but taking action.

Fun environment but pay has something to be desired

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time

Pros

Environment is fun even when you're working hard.

Cons

Pay is not competitive for the Bay Area. Promotions are hard to come by as the opportunities can be limited in some departments.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your top talent in each department. Many employees have left recently due to the roadblocks management has to create upward opportunities for their employees. The economic environment has rebounded and salaries across the board need to be reassessed if Sony want to stay competitive. Most companies are paying an average of 40% more for the same positions.

6. Good and Bad

Current Employee - PD Audio in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - PD Audio in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Good benefits. Willing to invest in tech. and facilities.

Cons

Disfunctional mix of American business and Japanese cultures. Business units are too siloed. Not much collaboration across depts.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for better communication and collaboration. Try to speed up the product approval process so we can keep up w/ the rest of the world.

Do not work here unless you are a geek gamers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-good discounts on first party products with the exception of hardware -decently large company so you're bound to meet someone you like -expectations are not too high for employee performance, if you are a decently smart person you can pretty much flat by forever and not worry about getting let go(if that is the type of career you want), leading the the number of incompetent employees who have been around for 5-10 years. however this does not take into account the random employee layoffs due to poor Sony (parent organization) performance

Cons

-In the marketing organization, hiring is essentially based on your knowledge of the gaming industry, hence I was surrounded by a lot of incompetent colleagues who just know the industry very well. It was ridiculous some of the things I had to teach people who had 5+ years experience. -Management operates in a black box - very little transparency of where the company is headed or what is going on -You are surrounded by a lot of gamer geeks who know little of anything but gaming. Very knowledgeable on the topic but have little knowledge on other topics -Very bureaucratic and slow organization. Lots of work is done just for the sake of doing the work and half the reports and analysis created is not utilized and is truly a waste of time -They try very hard to portray themselves as a fun tech/gaming company, but in reality the organization is structured like a old slow company, it's just that folks will sit and play games so they think it is start-up like -Very slow and hard to get promoted. Lots of the incompetent gamers who have worked very hard to get into this company never leave, hence it's very hard to move up as openings rarely present themselves. This company does nor necessarily promote based on performance. -People seem to get promoted based on amount time in company as opposed to performance. Even someone was performing way beyond expectations won't get a promotion because "it has only been 2 years since you joined" -Review process is really a joke - it's literally a check of the box, management is very weak in this department and does not do anything to develop employees -This company lends itself to brown nosing. Sycophants do very well in this company even if their performance is lacking. -Non one in the marketing organization does their own work. They ask certain support/analytics teams and external vendors to essentially do all the heavy lifting and just package everything and present it to management as their own. -Pay is okay at entry level - because you start as hourly - this makes your salary pretty competitive, but once promoted, your salary will take a hit because you are no longer hourly

Advice to Management

-hire based on better criteria -operate with more transparency -don't ask employees to do work that won't be used or be impactful -better review process -take into account employee feedback

8. Professional and laid back

I worked at Sony PlayStation

Pros

Free coffee, laid back testing environment, no stress, and lots of gaming

Cons

Low pay, could get let go at any time, some coworkers can be idiotic

Advice to Management

I would like if there were more opportunities available

I wouldn't recommend PlayStation to a friend

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with my immediate team. Great, smart, talented people. But woefully under-appreciated. PlayStation has great product, from the console to the games. The product is the organization's only saving grace. A new CEO is a glimmer of hope, but it's going to take a while to get PlayStation and the larger SONY organization back on track. I had a fair amount of work/life balance, that and my team were the ONLY thing that was in the "pro" column when I was considering leaving. In the end, my career legacy is about the quality of my work and there were way too many ridiculous barriers in my way. So, I had to move on.

Cons

Where should I start... The structure of SCE (the larger PlayStation organization) is a fundamental barrier to doing business well. The silos are so entrenched and often are working at cross-purposes. If leaders don't get what they want from another function, they find ways to go around what's standing in the way, whether it makes good business sense or not! There are some creative genius/leaders in the organization (especially the studios), but they're TERRIBLE leaders and are just allowed to act like jerks and do things that NO OTHER business would or should put up with. The HR department is a total disaster! There are too many people who have been there too long. And unfortunately, they've worked their way up from the bottom to leadership positions. At another reasonably successful company, these leaders would have never worked their way past administrative assistant, or whatever entry level job they started in. Just because you're fun to hang out with after work, does not qualify you for a promotion!

Advice to Management

Take a true assessment of your director and above talent. You have some serious problems with integrity and leadership across the organization.

10. Great company to work for

Current Employee - PlayStation Representative
    Current Employee - PlayStation Representative

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility and work from home office. Manage your own time..great benefits and perks.

Cons

Work load overwhelming and not compensated for all time worked..mostly administrative work.

Advice to Management

Keep employees happy..bigger bonuses and better compensation.

11. Not good.

Current Employee - Senior Eradication Specialist in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Eradication Specialist in College Station, TX

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Low Pay. Long Hours. No Vacation.

Advice to Management

Lose some weight.

RSS Feed </> Embed