Sony PlayStation Reviews

1. Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long standing talented employees add a level of stability.

Cons

Some in senior mgmt. could listen to new employees better to ensure they maintain best in class.

2. Senior Compliance Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Compliance Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Compliance Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company, lots of users, high impact work, love my coworkers. It's a product that is changing the world.

Cons

Not an easy job, changes impact millions of users which can sometimes be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Be more "hands-on" with the employees. Provide team members with a more realistic vision of potential career opportunities.

3. Director

Current Employee - Director in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Campus Great People (staff) Great Salary/Benefits

Cons

No leadership Poor Senior Management No skilled employees in Human Resources Department (mostly contract employees)

Some great people slow moving to catch up

Former Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some groups are full of creative hardworking folks, but it varies from group to group. Overall being part of the video game industry is fun

Cons

SIlo'd groups, company is slow to change and share information. A lot of tenured people who are going through the motions, but new people as have a problem adjusting causing strife

Advice to Management

Share more information. The yearly company meeting feels like a lot of PR hoopla. Many groups don't know what their business goals are beyond "generate revenue"

6. Very good experience, people are super nice, very professional and efficient working style.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

Pros

People are professional, nice and smart. Location is wonderful.

Cons

Food is always the same. Workload is a little heavy.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring excellent engineers, talent grads, and do more wildly creative projects.

7. Great people, strategically-challenged company

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented, caring people. Wide array of technical and non-technical roles. Global organization. Exciting industry (video games and entertainment), with exciting products. Fair salaries, bonus, and even severance. Strong market share after launching PlayStation 4.

Cons

Heavily contracting staff in World Wide Studios (WWS), many teams are now half their original size. Executive leadership is not always strategic, and decisions are made slowly. Accountability is poorly maintained in most organizations, and often is culturally set by specific leaders throughout the various groups. Many folks are coasting (which impacts high-potentials/strong performers and team success potential); most global teams are silo'd, and employees are less of a priority/focus and poorly celebrated (besides shallow perks like free and discounted games).

8. Totally dysfunctional. Good old boy system.

Former Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looked good on resume to work for a global company. Good work life balance as in no one worked late or went in early ! New ceo brings hope.

Cons

It's not what you do, it's who you know that moves you up. Very siloed, eliminating benefit in working for a global company. Not open to new ideas, preferred status quo to stay safe.

Advice to Management

Clean house and get rid of non contributing deadwood. Reward and motivate those who work hard and contribute .

9. Great People, Horrible Management

Pros

Workers in non management roles are amazing and so talented!!

Cons

If your not "in" with management or HR your not going to advance anywhere. HR makes all the decisions even on product development.

Advice to Management

Your puppets to Japan. Good luck!

10. Marketing

I have been working at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work for

Cons

Salary is below standard industry

i had high hopes but it is not what I thought it would be!

Former Employee - California in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - California in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sony PlayStation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free games here and there. Also there is an onsite gym and great parking. Honestly this is all of the pros I can think of.

Cons

1. SCEA departments are in silos, no one shares info which is a detriment to the whole company. I have worked for a few large companies and I have never been so lost in an organization as I am here at SCEA. 2. Everything is extremely slow to get approved. You have layers upon layers of people to approve the simplest things. No one seems to have the authority to move a project forward. Be prepared to have about 10-15 people to review something either upfront or included as you go. 3. There is a lot of dead weight in every area of the company. People tend to not respond in a timely manner and pass the buck on almost every aspect of a project with little to no accountability. Some Directors would rather skate by or ignore issues then tackling them head on. Not sure how some of these people have their title, it feels like they were promoted within without the true know how (it is definitely a frat culture if you know what I mean). Unfortunately these are the reasons why things take so long to get to market. Management is all talk with no actions, and if we do see actions they take far too long to implement so much so they become outdated. 4. Very disorganized starting at the top of the chain with no processes in place for software development, project management, and product management, which makes things very confusing when you are trying to accomplish your daily tasks or your job in general. 5. No one cares what you are working on and seem to manage at a huge distance from direct reports. It feels like Senior management right down to the Director level is thinking - "I don't know what you are working on as long as my agenda is being pushed". There is a need-to-know attitude and secrecy around everything. 6. First Party Studios run the company. It feels like they all collectively bought SCEA, when they say jump we all say how high. 7. Japan makes decisions that are not right for the Americas. Business is based on out of date thinking, processes, and extreme cultural differences. 8. Senior management does not encourage VP’s and Senior Directors to talk to their team (or people in general), for example say hi in the hallway, hold your head up and not stare at a phone to avoid interaction with people.

Advice to Management

Encourage team building events, encourage information sharing, encourage brainstorm off-site, encourage open info sharing, encourage people to actually have fun outside of work. Also, ensure VP’s are not scheduling staff meetings in the middle of campus wide events. My question is how can a company grow with no transparency, secrets, silos, no processes, and dead weight employees? A well-run organization should be looked at like an engine in a car, everything has to work together to move that car. Synergy is KEY for sustained growth. Manage the company per the Americas business model/standard. Every region is different and should be managed as such. Also if you own a studio act like it. It hurts your bottom line when you let the creatives take the reigns on how you do business. A thriving company needs a plan,: build one, stick to it, and ensure everyone is following that same vision. Hire a strong HR lead to manage the infrastructure of the company. The systems are way out dated! I suggest you do one central hub that all of SONY connects to, this way we know what every division of the whole company (SONY) is doing. From that hub you can have a tab or link to each SONY division (for example from the hub you can get to the PlayStation portal). Also, this portal should to link off to everything (travel, expenses, personal info, benefits, w2/w4, discounts, etc.). It makes no sense to have more than 1 password to access information, especially in 2015. Seems like all I hear is, “ it won’t work, or I hope it works, or there is no monetary value in that type of business etc.”. It is frustrating to work with people who look at the glass half empty, it is a very pessimistic attitude that will rot a company to its core!

RSS Feed </> Embed