Sophos

Sophos Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman

Kris Hagerman

Pros:
  • "Healthy work/life balance - although it's hard to shut off sometimes"
    in 9 reviews
  • "fun nights with your coworkers drinking after work, lots of great people worked here"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is no work/life balance, you find yourself doing overtime on most days"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The rate of pay is 10-20% below what it should be and it looks like pay rises have been put on hold"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No longer the company that hired me

Professional Services Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people, a team that knows how to enjoy themselves, and how to pull together in a crisis. Decent Benefits. Monthly Free Lunch.

ConsVery little career opportunity. Compensation is below average for the area/industry. No Training. Offshoring of Support. Slow to market with new product/ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the "talent drain", especially the "revolving door" that has become sales. Customer want to work with someone they know and trust. A new sales rep every six months accomplishes neither. Refocus efforts on your customers. Listen to their pain points and improve the product line to help them. Listen to your front line employees. They are the face of Sophos to the customer and too often bear the brunt for the company's miscues. Finally, address the morale issue that you have created.

What a pathetic Company Sophos has become

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNone. Anything that was good is no longer. Raises and bonuses for the actual workers are nonexistent. This has caused any good talent to leave which is not replaced and so work life is terrible

ConsI would give this review ZERO stars if I could but I have to give it ONE. This was a great company years ago. As time went on all the good people have left and all that is left is the useless and clueless managers and CEO. With all the bad reviews on here and the recent Forbes Magazine article titled "The Best Enterprise Software Companies And CEOs To Work For In 2014" where Sophos was rated number 2 from the BOTTOM of the list that anyone with a brain would take notice and start to think what to do so they can keep their current talent.

Instead what did the management team decide to do? They post a YouTube video titled "What's it like to work at Sophos?". Any outsider watching the video will see the nice office in the UK and a few people bragging how great Sophos is to work for. What any outsider would not understand is that this office in the video is the only nice one out of all the offices Sophos has. A year has passed with promises of new equipment and an office refresh but here we are still with an office that hasn't been painted in 8 years, dirty carpets, old equipment, and one empty cube after another with junk thrown in them since these cubes were once filled with employees that have long left.

I guess the management team REALLY believes that any new job seeker would believe a web site where you can search for endless videos of random people looking for their 5 minutes of fame over a trusted and reputable news magazine such as Forbes. This just shows how naïve and clueless they really are.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE UP and get a CLUE.... Review time is here. If you do not reward the talent you have you will see a mass exit. You waste time and money on a YouTube video instead of re-investing back into your current employees? How pathetic is that? If you lose the few good people you have left you will have nothing left well except for the wonderful people that surf YouTube and believe the lies and deceit in your video instead of actually doing research about Sophos and get the true story.

Just when it can't get worse...

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than a year

Pros- time in the 'trenches' with my colleagues can be fun
- good customer base, nice to chat with people outside of sophos
- the technical support team are a good bunch
- some of the products seem to be useful and do a good service of protecting people
- they seem have hired some new people that could finally give the company a technical direction and goal, unfortunately they poached them and are being sued

Cons- the dreary management layers and a new focus -- analyst driven, i'm sure -- to use UTM to save the company's last 3 to 5 years of bad decisions
- everyone knows how the new executives are being given these exorbitant salaries and contracts but so far, no results
- it's basically slavery in sales, you're asked to sell something that no one believes has a future
- people are allowed to take 'stress breaks' from work and not come back for weeks or months while still getting paid. it's considered a good idea because everyone else quits
- people keep quitting for better companies, and no one can blame them. sophos stopped hiring in several offices (Vancouver) but managed to get a new office just a few miles from the CEO's house and spin it like a good idea
- the CEO is a megalomaniac and a fool with no track record of any type of success. he's only there because of the investors needing to turn a profit by cutting costs
- the CTO's office is full of liars
- no one knows why Sophos exists anymore, is it for the cloud? for UTM? for mobile? instead of being simple, the IT department is a mess. no one uses Sophos solutions at sophos, so the idea of 'dogfood' is dead
- i'm planning to quit as soon as possible

Advice to Senior Managementfind someone to replace the current C levels, start getting rid of the offices your'e going to close soon (Vancouver, most of Germany) and tighten your belts-- its unlikely UTM is going to turn this ship around soon.

Once a great company now shell of it's former reputation

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Remote, OR

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood product and technical resources

ConsTurnover, turnover , turnover, lower salary than competition, poor marketing

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging the teams and trying to be a me too UTM company. Shifting tech support offshore may save $$ but how many customers will stick around?

Was a great company at one time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent benefits

Free beer

Free breakfast foods

Free monthly lunches

Free use of security software at home for yourself along with friends and family

Some good co-workers

ConsOffshoring of technical support and not being honest with customers about it.

If you don't do a good job or work hard there is no accountability. If you are a hard worker your reward is more work

Little or no raises year after year. If there is one it is divided up to the group and not based on performance.

Management makes you think you should be happy to just have a job.

Meeting after meeting to try some new big plan that was already tried years before and it failed.

The company does not care about their people at all and promise some real changes that never happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself and be ashamed of what you have done to what was a great company at one time.

The bottom line is important and why a company is in business but you need to remember who got you there. It was because of the great employees you once had and your customers.

The offshoring of technical support is a huge mistake. It failed for many other companies that have since brought those jobs back. If you think Sophos will be successful with this you will be in for a rude awakening. Look at the customer comments and wonder why customer after customer is upset with this new support plan.

Customer retention is going down and employee moral is way down. The last few good members of support that have survived layoffs or haven't left are miserable and looking to leave. They are overworked and underpaid.

Good solutions, but frequent changes in business strategy cause confusion with both employees and customers

Outside Sales (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than a year

Pros-Products are better than average
-Good technology partners
-Excellent technical support

Cons-Product and promotion strategies change frequently
-Channel partners confused about how to position and price solutions
-Not well-known in the US from a brand perspective
-Sales quotas often unrealistic in a highly competitive, price-driven market
-Remote employees often feel like "outsiders"

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better strategy for clear communication with employees, customers, and partners about the strategy for the company. Stay the course once a business plan is implemented and give it time to work before drastically changing course. Make your remote workers feel like they are valued as highly as those in the corporate headquarters

Poor future

Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI worked at Sophos a long time. Over the years, they have had fantastic technology, amazing talent and great management. The company culture has been great, with great office space and fun things going on.

When I left, my direct manager was fantastic. There was a free lunch one a month. Workmates were good people trying their best.

ConsIn recent times, they have lost a TON of talent. Many many tenured, experienced employees have been fired, or have moved on.

The pay was poor - and middle management knew it. They would hire based on who they could afford, not who would do a good job. Existing staff didn't get a payrise. I hadnt had a talent or pay review in years - and pay rises seemed to be random (also, hadn't happened in recent years).

Closing the NA labs was a huge mistake, and off shoring technical support is a nail in the one shining light in Sophos - their high quality technical support team.

At time of leaving, all upper management were being axed, and replaced with execs from Fortinet - sales was being crowbarred into a channel model - and the revoling door of experienced staff for new hires was spinning fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck. You're rebuilding a company that had a great reputation, fantastic staff and cool technology into something that is already pushing old technology, and will be staffed by inexperienced newbies.

Was looking great for the first few years now just a confused company

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRespectable products
Met some really smart and fun people over the years at this company
Occasional work outings
Nice building and location

ConsManagers have no clue what's going on or what to really do.
A lot of turnover recently. Can't hold on to any talent.
Company roadmap is a gamble into fledgling space.
No pay raise or review in over 2 years.

Sales and support/services staff seem to live on two different worlds

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and properly compensate your employees that brought us to where the company is today instead of displaying all the signs of packing up shop in the states and moving in to outsourced support and services.

Instead of trying to create products that attempt to match all features out there (and fail or be mediocre) how about taking a step back and creating something that works as advertised. It's better to nail those specific items than be ok at it all.

Was building a great thing . . .

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than a year

ProsApproachable management--truly open door policy. Casual work environment yet truly committed and intelligent staff.

ConsLayoffs, just as momentum is being built.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive for the greatest level of transparency possible regarding your strategy, then have some faith in your (current) staff that they will execute. Constant layoffs and rehiring results in inefficiency and no continuity.

Big gamble on partners and resellers

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHistory of decent products, well positioned

Cons- no opportunity for growth.
- Several layoffs recently, and importing lots of new Directors, VPs from competitors (but blocking employees from going to those companies)
- A lot of successful high-performing sales reps were just let go.
- low compensation.
- sales doesn't trust managers
- cost-cutting moves are backfiring

Advice to Senior ManagementCandidates beware. Not a good time to be joining this company

Worked for Sophos? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sophos reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman. All 115 reviews posted anonymously by Sophos employees.