Sophos

Updated February 23, 2015
3.5

Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman
Kris Hagerman

Pros
  • Healthy work/life balance - although it's hard to shut off sometimes (in 14 reviews)

• Good work environment with occasional fun (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, you find yourself doing overtime on most days (in 5 reviews)

• Pay rises are usually pitiful, not keeping up with inflation and bonuses are 5% of salary (if targets have been met) (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Sophos is a great company on the rise.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Sophos full-time

Pros

Great benefits with a great work environment, reasonable productivity expectations and work life balance.

Cons

Compensation below market, limited equity opportunity, limited personal growth opportunities.

Promote from within instead of hiring external candidates for entry level management positions. Bringing in external people destroys direct contributor morale. Compensation has improved but is not quite at market yet, many direct competitors are recruiting from the same talent pool offering stronger comp packages including equity.

Political environment

Current Employee - QA Manager
    Current Employee - QA Manager

I have been working at Sophos part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Cutting edge technology
    - Inspiring Products and ideas

Cons

- Very political and the success in the company or teams depends on who you align with, no respect for individual's talent or capability.
    - Management is highly perception driven and seldom have enough data to justify any decisions they make either with people or org. changes.

Reach out to people who actually do the work, there are too many layers between hands-on engineers and the top management, I have witnessed a lot of bad decisions because the management never bothered to find-out the actual problem and end-up fixing an entirely different problem.

You demand honesty from people, but you have walk the talk.

If you have no ambition and value stability you might like it

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The products are decent, the management team is trying. Great peers, genuinely nice people who will work with you. You are allowed to work from home. Office culture varies greatly from office to office. Benefit is standard.

Cons

There is no upward mobility. There is no career development and training is pretty pitiful. The previous sales enable team was let go and the new team is not that great. If you do decide to join, negotiate hard to get a higher position. Once you are in, a promotion is nearly impossible. I have seen a couple of cases that the company will rather hire an outsider without any relevant experience and let that person learn on the job then giving that opportunity to an existing employee.

Invest in professional development.

Small company with a big, positive personality.

Current Employee - Channel Account Executive (CAE) in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Channel Account Executive (CAE) in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Sophos full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Smaller company so my efforts make a big impact and I feel my opinion is heard loud and clear by every level of the company.

Cons

Private company and based out of UK...insurance and short term benefits are a little strange going through third party but still not bad!

Please continue to keep that open mind and open door policy; best executive team I have ever worked with and for!

Great Time To Be Here

I have been working at Sophos (less than a year)

Pros

-cloud team is doing great work, company is doing very well on all fronts with fantastic results being seen
    -great group of people to work with
    -I'm very happy with the communication from management, I meet with my boss on a regular basis

Cons

-very happy so far (been here for a few months), was worried about the negative reviews on glassdoor when hired, but as of now I don't see why there are so many complaints

Keep up the good communication to employees, this is something my last job had none of and something I enjoy.

Motivating, innovative, inclusive environment to work in, with a clear mission, and an ability to make a difference

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A reasonably mature company, but with the feeling of a start up. If you like the start up environment, unless you will accept nothing less than a hard core start up, at Sophos you get a lot of the benefits without a good deal of the risk. New leadership is solid and has injected lots of positive energy, planning, and, importantly focus and prioritization. Input is encouraged from all levels of the organization. If you've got a positive attitude, a desire to make a difference, and a willingness to work hard, Sophos has lots to offer.

The new leadership (at Sophos approximately 1.5-2 years) has delivered a clear vision and provided the support and resources to turn that vision into reality. They seem to take employee input seriously and make a good faith attempt to take action.

One of the more collaborative places I've worked without much conflict or infighting between departments and functions. With very few exceptions, employees and management seem in it for the right reasons, stay constructive, and are willing to work together to make it happen! There's a let's get it done, pragmatic, "keep it simple" culture being established ("Security Made Simple" is more than just a tag line at Sophos).

In general, it's not an overly bureaucratic place, has a culture oriented toward action, and has leadership unafraid to take risks (but, in my opinion, in a healthy, intelligent, reasonably well thought-out way). One of the least political places I've worked (everywhere has it's politics, but FAR less of it at Sophos than anywhere I've worked.... very collaborative). I find that refreshing.

Recent results seem to suggest the strategy adopted by Sophos' leadership teams is working! Proof is in the pudding! Lots of positive growth in last several quarters and, with it, more opportunities to grow and succeed!

No doubt there are those with different perspectives and opinions, but to be honest, I simply do not get where some of these scathingly negative reviews on this site are coming from. Particularly given recent changes under the new leadership. I've not seen anything close to what is described in some of these ultra-negative reviews and the idea that this is the majority opinion of current employees at Sophos (as some have suggested) is just not reality, at least not based on what I see.

Cons

Need to be cautious not to burn folks out. There's a LOT going on in parallel, which has its pluses and can be exciting, but there needs to be a balance and, at times, a recognition that everything can't be done at once. Leadership is pretty good about accepting realistic pushback, but there's sometimes a tendency not to want to accept reality or be willing to take an honest "no" for an answer (sometimes a bit of a have your cake and eat it too mentality). For the most part, though, much more reasonable than in many companies I've worked at.

While HR will keep telling you that salaries are competitive, sense is that they are average at best. They need to stop kidding themselves and decide whether they are willing to pay to keep top talent (there have been signs recently that they recognize this and are serious about making adjustments, but need to be more proactive about it).

Career development also requires some work at Sophos so that folks feel there is a clear path toward promotion and career growth in the company.

A more formal training and employee development program would be nice, where employees are reimbursed for taking courses outside of work that contribute to advancing their knowledge in areas applicable to their responsibilities. There's nothing like this at Sophos presently.

Expand programs that allow employees to share equity more generously (whether via options or an employee stock purchase program). Lots of people working very hard at Sophos and they should have an opportunity to share in the company's success, rather than only a select few standing to reap the majority of the benefits (typically folks who have recently joined).

Probably a couple isolated incidents (as far as I know), but in the Sales organization, some recent layoffs of some fairly senior people seemed to come without any warning to those individuals (in the US). You would hope that individuals would be made aware if they are under-performing, and there'd be some honest discussion with them about what they need to do to raise their game, rather than simply being blind-sided and let go without warning. Not a great reputation to have as a Sales leadership team. Haven't seen this in other departments though.

Challenging, Innovative, Aggressive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company is transforming from a steady, conservative, and reliable security provider to an aggressive, innovative, market-shaking force. It's fun to be a part of and every time I look back three months or six months or a year, I can't believe how much progress we've made. It's fun to be part of a winning team and to have a job where I constantly feel challenged.

Cons

Working here isn't for the faint of heart. There aren't too many jobs in the company where you can come to work in the morning and have high confidence that today will be like yesterday and the day before. The amount of change in the company can create ambiguity and some chaos. Personally, I thrive in that kind of churn, but some people don't.

Love the aggressive way we're attacking the market and innovating and we should keep at it. At the same time we need to make sure we have the right level of focus - not so focused that we're conservative and not so ambitious that we can't put the proper resources on critical projects. Right now we're right on the edge of too ambitious... let's not cross the line.

Amazing company and culture

I have been working at Sophos full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The previous reviewers who left the company and wrote negative reviews, have no idea how much this company has been restructured and turned around. This is the best company I have worked for. The technology is great, the product line is large, interesting, and appropriate for what is happening in security today. Roadmap is impressive and achievable. Management is helpful, hard working, and wants their teams to be successful.

Cons

Tech support going through re-org causing some temporary customer pains.

Evolving software making its mark in the Software Security market

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Products are evolving quickly. Very competitive for small to mid-size businesses versus the larger Security firms. Privately held company. Most staff have been here for years! Breakfast provided daily. End of month lunch provided. Managers are team players. Even though worldwide presence, I feel quite comfortable reaching out to other offices to help improve processes or discuss product evolutions where I have questions.

Cons

Compensation has improved for Sales Commissions since when I first started. But I can see further improvement could be had. There is a ton of internal trainings due to our product evolutions. It can be redundant. Office in Burlington is under construction to be more warm and inviting for our Resellers. I am quite looking forward to an improved environment.

Many previous Sophos staff have moved on for "better" compensation plans. I would suggest looking at those companies they have gone to in order to get better at matching. Yet, I don't know the details of those offers.

Company is ready to Take Off!

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New Leadership team has revamped the organization over the last year and a half. I've been here for almost 3 years now and we've never had the momentum that our sales team is seeing now. Marketing and sales coordinate better than ever to drive revenue and the new channel model has driven new partners and current partners to start doing more and more business. Products are still great and finally becoming scale-able enough to sell in any size environment. All this plus an HR team that is driven to promote internally and incentivise employees in the right way makes working at Sophos a great experience and an exciting opportunity for growth moving forward.

Cons

It took awhile. Like I said, I've been here for 3 years and last year's re-organization not only slowed our growth but drastically changed the dynamic of the company. Ultimately it has been for the better. Old leadership team wasn't as focused on development and was too focused on month to month business. That feeling still lingers but is definitely heading by the wayside.

Sales team needs stock buy back or stock option program. Its hard as a salesperson to continually drive business for the good of the company without any incentives that help me capitalize on that.