Sophos

Sophos Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman

Kris Hagerman

Pros
  • Healthy work/life balance - although it's hard to shut off sometimes(in 9 reviews)

• fun nights with your coworkers drinking after work, lots of great people worked here(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, you find yourself doing overtime on most days(in 5 reviews)

• The rate of pay is 10-20% below what it should be and it looks like pay rises have been put on hold(in 6 reviews)

Fast growing company, excellent award winning portfolio

Renewal Account Manager (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsExcellent product portfolio, recognized in the industry by top analysts, Gartner, Forester, IDC. Good brand recognition of Endpoint, UTM and Encryption Solutions.

Very hot industry and Sophos is acquiring the talent to bring this company to a new level. Excellent position in security environment, covering most of the security needs a customer may need within an excellent portfolio.

Excellent work environment, good management. Given enough leeway to get our work done without top-down micromanagement styles. Internally in the Burlington office we are able to work of a team, bump off sales ideas with other coworkers and share product knowledge among teams.

A huge plus is that we have the finance team, marketing, professional services, customer technical support in house, which means that any time a customer needs help or has a case open, it is exceedingly easy to walk downstairs and talk to the customer service technical rep that is handling that account.

Also, we have catered lunch at the end of the month, beer on tap on Fridays and some holidays.
    Management is always approachable, I have been able to go into talk with different VPs and Product Managers without any hassle. In regards to my specific team, we have been fortunate to be able to work from home as needed and travel to exciting and growing markets to present our product portfolio.

ConsPresales engineering in Sophos: Most positions have been moved offsite which means that if any inside sales person needs presales engineering help or a quick conversation, we either go to one of the few inside sales engineers, or have to get on an email queue and hope someone can answer on time.

In regards to compensation reviews or quarterly business reviews for the internal sales force, I haven't had one since I began at Sophos.

One last thing that I believe is a con is that there is no training or continuing education program for sales people at Sophos. What we do have is a week long bootcamp at the beginning of our time here as well as different breakouts during the annual kickoff, however what is lacking is a weekly or monthly training or skill reinforcement training within either an individual or group setting.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up group training outside sales teams, that way different groups of sales people where both inside channel account managers, renewals reps, and outside account executives have to participate and share in different tasks and where open discussion is encouraged. Ideally outside regional sales groups so that training and knowledge transfer isn't held in a silo. One of the ways this was done at a previous job was by having 8-10 people in a room and have one of them make a call out to a customer in speaker mode. At the end of the call, we would discuss what happened, how it went and what each person would have done different. This helps set up different sales training methodologies and helps the younger less experienced reps grow.

Set up quarterly or semi annual business reviews with teams and regions to cover and discover what is working and what is not working. In a team sales environment where you have 4 or 5 people per territory, it is very easy for one person to lack in their effort if the other 4 are hitting the team number. With QBRs and other team based activities you can discover and help improve that individual that may not be 100% on board.

Last advice: Sophos should be more open in regards to strategy as far as reorganizations are concerned. Rumors spread like wildfire and only hinder the day to day work of sales.

All in all, exceedingly happy about my time at Sophos and definitely would not hesitate to come back.

Toxic paranoid and self-destructive

Director Corporate Planning (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsThere are no legitimate reasons for considering this company

ConsHeadquarters is near Oxford, UK. Senior executives are often in California or on planes as their primary office location. The level of communication is strikingly absent which leads to paranoia at several levels. After 20 years of working at several leading firms, this is by far the worst I've encountered. Moreover, the pretensions of generosity of "free food" is a strained mask for the claw-backs of salary and bonus among us long-time employees and recent-hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership is overly-distributed and often absentee. The marketing managers and financial managers are a joke. The lack of co-operation among middle management is a direct consequence of the fear and paranoia that has too many workers afraid to generate input, new ideas and constructive feedback. The toxic culture will not be fix-able. No informed candidate will knowingly select this firm as an employer.

I enjoy the company and the people

Management Within Cloud Engineering (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsGreat people. With the exception of one or two people world wide, I have had nothing but positive interactions with my coworkers here at Sophos.

Within my BU, Sophos Cloud, I can see the impact my role is having, and I love the upper management support. Can upper management say yes to every idea? Of course not, but when it counts my management team has pushed and done the right thing.

We've been able to build out a team and we have been able to define our own SDLC (Agile). While not perfect, we have been able to tweak the process and it just seems to be getting better with each release.

I've been able to bring on some great talent. And Sr. management stepped up and knew what it would take to bring on top talent. Our team has been built to succeed!

Both salary and bonus payout (this year) are fine. And "we" have had no issues getting increases for the deserving people on our teams.

I've had several opportunities to leave Sophos for other good positions within some good companies, but I choose to stay here at Sophos.

ConsOK, I like more space. The little cubes used in this office space are new to me, and I'm not a huge fan. That said, and having private offices for the last 14 years of my career, the pros here far outweigh my desire for another private office.

This may be only the second place I've worked where soda is not offered for free. Maybe I've just been lucky. That said, Sophos does offer a great array of FREE healthy foods, including cereal, bagels, yogurt, coffee, and lots of other healthy alternatives. ...but I still like soda!

The Burlington space could use more conference rooms with the ability to do video conferencing with the other EU based sites.

Advice to Senior Management- Invest in our ability to communicate between sites (more video conference rooms).
    - While I think my BU is fine with respect to compensation I can't ignore the other remarks on GlassDoor. This must be addressed, if accurate.
    - Continue to push UP the ideas and plans that are being fed to you by your teams. This is working within Cloud, and I would imagine it could work in other areas as well.
    - Continue to set "realistic" goals. If the goals become unattainable, morale will suffer (and so will bonuses).
    - Continue to respect peoples time off.
    - More US vacation time would be nice. The EU gets loads of holiday and vacation time, and this does not go unnoticed by the teams here in the US. No need to match the EU time, just bump it up a bit in the US, or be more aggressive with adding more time based on service.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a sinking ship....don't go there

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsSome good folks there (still suffering), which still treats you like a family.

Conshistorically speaking, Sophos has always been top-heavy (management and above). It wasn't until most recently with the arrival of our new CEO Kris Hagerman where things literally gone from bad to worse: no proper sense of direction and leadership. His cronies are nothing but a bunch of jokes: management down below knew nothing on how to retain good folks and support them, but to micromanage them to death; HR is of no better but cannot be trusted (note: HR is not on your side, but on the employer side, period) to help you deal with situations, or leveraging problems that you have between the company and yourself, etc. The overall stressed, if not negative atmosphere in the air: they will make up some lame excuses to lay you off even though you are the good guys who have been contributed to the operation for years (they just want to kick you out so that they can hire some jack-o-trades with less salary to replace your spot); what else? political favoritism plays within this organization where you lick their boots, you get promoted to manager-level position...good guys gets booted out of the system.

Once a pride of the Sophos operation (and a major selling point) of having a strong, competent tech support team regionally on-site (such as NA, Oz, Jpn, UK-HQ, etc.)with follow-the-sun strategies and with very close ties to Sophoslabs to get some dicey situations resolved quickly, now the structure has been changed: NA sophoslabs have been all but disbanded; all the good researchers have left the premise as a result: tech support has been disbanded and set up in Asian countries to replace these valuable assets that we once had (as a major differentiator between Sophos and other security big-boys?)

The operational environment is toxic as well: stressed, overworked, underpaid, managers micromanaged to death, constantly looking over your shoulder to make sure that there's no back-stabber and so on....and all the lies coming from the management to try to keep the ship afloat (and no, the ship is indeed sinking)...and now recently, this new CEO wants to start an office so as to justify his moves back to the country? by Golly, what next?

And also those shameless (lies) youtube film shots posted recently and all the shills that posted positive reviews(but in vague wordings) are the worse propaganda I've seen in ages, and definitely heading the wrong direction. Either they get paid to do such lame service (Sophos HR should have saved those $$ spent and give their employees a wage increase instead), or they are part of the managements.

Oh and did I say management levels within this organization are, in general, clueless if not shut-in?

Most of the good guys that I came to know of during my past years in this company have left this ship mostly out of the same reasons that I have/had.

I'm sorry to tell you readers that all the good guys have abandoned this ship (nothing worth staying on for)....and ever since this ship has been sold from the original founders to the "outsiders", situations have spiraled out of control....and now there's chris H.

Good luck to all you misinformed newbies who thinks this operation is a good/positive/great one. You still on 3-mnth probation to get out of it, right?

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sorry to say that management cronies have to go...a major management revamp has to happen and clear directions and strategies must be set. Also: for employee retention's sake: pay your employee well and treat them with respect and dignity...

What a pathetic Company Sophos has become

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsNone. Anything that was good is no longer. Raises and bonuses for the actual workers are nonexistent. This has caused any good talent to leave which is not replaced and so work life is terrible

ConsI would give this review ZERO stars if I could but I have to give it ONE. This was a great company years ago. As time went on all the good people have left and all that is left is the useless and clueless managers and CEO. With all the bad reviews on here and the recent Forbes Magazine article titled "The Best Enterprise Software Companies And CEOs To Work For In 2014" where Sophos was rated number 2 from the BOTTOM of the list that anyone with a brain would take notice and start to think what to do so they can keep their current talent.

Instead what did the management team decide to do? They post a YouTube video titled "What's it like to work at Sophos?". Any outsider watching the video will see the nice office in the UK and a few people bragging how great Sophos is to work for. What any outsider would not understand is that this office in the video is the only nice one out of all the offices Sophos has. A year has passed with promises of new equipment and an office refresh but here we are still with an office that hasn't been painted in 8 years, dirty carpets, old equipment, and one empty cube after another with junk thrown in them since these cubes were once filled with employees that have long left.

I guess the management team REALLY believes that any new job seeker would believe a web site where you can search for endless videos of random people looking for their 5 minutes of fame over a trusted and reputable news magazine such as Forbes. This just shows how naïve and clueless they really are.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE UP and get a CLUE.... Review time is here. If you do not reward the talent you have you will see a mass exit. You waste time and money on a YouTube video instead of re-investing back into your current employees? How pathetic is that? If you lose the few good people you have left you will have nothing left well except for the wonderful people that surf YouTube and believe the lies and deceit in your video instead of actually doing research about Sophos and get the true story.

Just when it can't get worse...

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

Pros- time in the 'trenches' with my colleagues can be fun
    - good customer base, nice to chat with people outside of sophos
    - the technical support team are a good bunch
    - some of the products seem to be useful and do a good service of protecting people
    - they seem have hired some new people that could finally give the company a technical direction and goal, unfortunately they poached them and are being sued

Cons- the dreary management layers and a new focus -- analyst driven, i'm sure -- to use UTM to save the company's last 3 to 5 years of bad decisions
    - everyone knows how the new executives are being given these exorbitant salaries and contracts but so far, no results
    - it's basically slavery in sales, you're asked to sell something that no one believes has a future
    - people are allowed to take 'stress breaks' from work and not come back for weeks or months while still getting paid. it's considered a good idea because everyone else quits
    - people keep quitting for better companies, and no one can blame them. sophos stopped hiring in several offices (Vancouver) but managed to get a new office just a few miles from the CEO's house and spin it like a good idea
    - the CEO is a megalomaniac and a fool with no track record of any type of success. he's only there because of the investors needing to turn a profit by cutting costs
    - the CTO's office is full of liars
    - no one knows why Sophos exists anymore, is it for the cloud? for UTM? for mobile? instead of being simple, the IT department is a mess. no one uses Sophos solutions at sophos, so the idea of 'dogfood' is dead
    - i'm planning to quit as soon as possible

Advice to Senior Managementfind someone to replace the current C levels, start getting rid of the offices your'e going to close soon (Vancouver, most of Germany) and tighten your belts-- its unlikely UTM is going to turn this ship around soon.

Once a great company now shell of it's former reputation

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Remote, OR

ProsGood product and technical resources

ConsTurnover, turnover , turnover, lower salary than competition, poor marketing

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging the teams and trying to be a me too UTM company. Shifting tech support offshore may save $$ but how many customers will stick around?

Was a great company at one time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsDecent benefits

Free beer

Free breakfast foods

Free monthly lunches

Free use of security software at home for yourself along with friends and family

Some good co-workers

ConsOffshoring of technical support and not being honest with customers about it.

If you don't do a good job or work hard there is no accountability. If you are a hard worker your reward is more work

Little or no raises year after year. If there is one it is divided up to the group and not based on performance.

Management makes you think you should be happy to just have a job.

Meeting after meeting to try some new big plan that was already tried years before and it failed.

The company does not care about their people at all and promise some real changes that never happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself and be ashamed of what you have done to what was a great company at one time.

The bottom line is important and why a company is in business but you need to remember who got you there. It was because of the great employees you once had and your customers.

The offshoring of technical support is a huge mistake. It failed for many other companies that have since brought those jobs back. If you think Sophos will be successful with this you will be in for a rude awakening. Look at the customer comments and wonder why customer after customer is upset with this new support plan.

Customer retention is going down and employee moral is way down. The last few good members of support that have survived layoffs or haven't left are miserable and looking to leave. They are overworked and underpaid.

Good solutions, but frequent changes in business strategy cause confusion with both employees and customers

OUTSIDE SALES (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-Products are better than average
    -Good technology partners
    -Excellent technical support

Cons-Product and promotion strategies change frequently
    -Channel partners confused about how to position and price solutions
    -Not well-known in the US from a brand perspective
    -Sales quotas often unrealistic in a highly competitive, price-driven market
    -Remote employees often feel like "outsiders"

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better strategy for clear communication with employees, customers, and partners about the strategy for the company. Stay the course once a business plan is implemented and give it time to work before drastically changing course. Make your remote workers feel like they are valued as highly as those in the corporate headquarters

No longer the company that hired me

Professional Services Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood people, a team that knows how to enjoy themselves, and how to pull together in a crisis. Decent Benefits. Monthly Free Lunch.

ConsVery little career opportunity. Compensation is below average for the area/industry. No Training. Offshoring of Support. Slow to market with new product/ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the "talent drain", especially the "revolving door" that has become sales. Customer want to work with someone they know and trust. A new sales rep every six months accomplishes neither. Refocus efforts on your customers. Listen to their pain points and improve the product line to help them. Listen to your front line employees. They are the face of Sophos to the customer and too often bear the brunt for the company's miscues. Finally, address the morale issue that you have created.

Worked for Sophos? Contribute to the Community!