Sophos Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated August 2, 2014

2.2

Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman
Kris Hagerman

Pros
  • Healthy work/life balance - although it's hard to shut off sometimes (in 9 reviews)

• fun nights with your coworkers drinking after work, lots of great people worked here (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, you find yourself doing overtime on most days (in 5 reviews)

• The rate of pay is 10-20% below what it should be and it looks like pay rises have been put on hold (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice people, pleasant working conditions, but lots of chopping and changing saps morale

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time

Pros

Helpful colleagues, free coffee/tea/fruit/biscuits/buns, good package BUPA etc, office in pleasant surroundings, open tolerant working atmosphere. Resourcing in shape of hardware, software, IT infrastructure improved in recent few years.

Cons

Owned by venture capital so aim is to look good for an IPO - leads to lots of chopping and changing such as sacking large numbers one year then wondering why, less than a year later, there seems to be a shortage of workers to get projects done. No solid technical leadership - from time to time, almost accidentally, excellent senior technical staff are hired, but they are either swiftly demoralised by lack of backing, or purged.
    Most amusingly, something was developed using an "agile" strategy where the philosophy was that you develop to meet the immediate needs and then refactor/rewrite as those needs change. Which is fine, but the management who imposed this method then were then caught seemingly by surprise when the initial release turned out to need an extensive re-architecture job because the quick first draft, targeted at modest numbers of users, had scaling issues...

Long term strategy should be long term - follow things up. For example, security was the theme of the year and effort was put into upgrading compilers and vulnerability testing and security training but then it seemed to just be forgotten - new hires don't get trained, no-one keeps standards for tools and methods up to date, and various experts left or got made redundant so we are back where we started.

Desparate?

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free hot drinks and subsidised food.
    A few clever guys left (simply cruising and taking an average salary). No need to work hard or creative as the Sophos offerings are so far behind the competitors, the engineers don't work hard.

Cons

Quality in products is appalling. SMT only present to 'float' the company and bale out.
    Morale sucks and respect for second class SMT members that have joined within last year, is non-existent. There's actually a betting book going round for the next round of downsizing!

Sorry - there is management in title but not in practice!
    Stop letting good guys leave (somehow), those with decent leadership skills depart once they realise they have been fooled into joining - it's YOUR fault!!!

Was great then they decided that they wanted to sell themselves off at all costs

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Below management, the employees are great and do try to work hard.

Cons

Management has turned into a complete and utter disaster with the CEO directing the company towards being sellable. His decision to make the company a public entity is costing its reputation with those who still work there, those who have left there, and those who are in the industry in general. The company doesn't have the backbone to fire people in upper-management who lie about their honourary doctorates.

The potential for self-growth had left years ago.

Stop trying to astroturf and begin to act like a real player in the market, not one that wants to sell itself at all costs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor but could be good

I worked at Sophos

Pros

The employees, not managers. Food and drink. Values are written but not followed.

Cons

Leadership is absolutely rubbish, they don't care about individuals just stats.

Any feedback is taken as a negative, very defensive managers. If you do give feedback for change for the better the managers bite back. All they want is yes sir no sir yes madam no madam. Moral is low, people are leaving. Let me treat you like how you treat us and then tell me if you agree with my points.

Listen to your staff and understand their needs, its not all about you and your career.

Don't expect to expand your career at this company.

Current Employee - QA Engineer  in  Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Least stressful job I have had.

Cons

They wont let you gi early on fridays. Even on weeks where you did extra because there was problems.
    They wont let you go part time.
    Most of the people working there are there because they are too lazy to get another job.
    The building is not near anything.
    The people in engineering don't like to go out and prefer the company of Steam.
    Bonuses were reduced from 10% to 5%. Not worth trying for but doesn't matter because as you won't have been told what you can do to earn one.
    Management don't listen to advice on quality so their products have suffered.
    They think there do agile but clearly don't.
    Everyone thinks they are in charge.
    Zero career progression.
    Expected to pair 8hours a day with the same person all week.
    Every project in the last two years has had a completely unrealistic time frame.
    Nothing is written down.
    Disconnect between all the teams.

Some high up manager thought it would bring better collaboration if we all started work at the same time. Now all those that commute have twenty minutes added to there travel, those who cycle have to queue for showers.

No career prospects.

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer  in  Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gym is next door.
    Free fruit.
    Nice view.
    Stress free once you accept there is no point.

Cons

They bang on about quality but don't care really.

They removed flex start so we all have to sit in traffic jams or pay peak rate on train. Combine that with no pay rise and I've been experiencing pay decrease for two years.

Far too much pairing when programming.

They make YouTube videos that make you think everybody is beautiful sociable beings when in actual fact they are fat from all the free cakes. Ask someone to go out after work and listen to the excuses. It was not like that 4 years ago. I don't bother asking people about their weekends because they are so dull.

No interaction amongst teams. Chuck it over the fence attitude.

They gave everyone a laptop but you can't work at home. So the expectation is you will do additional work outside of hours.

They say they do agile. Hahaha hah.

No idea what I have to do to get promoted.

Yee ha. USA doesn't offer the answers you seek. Talking a lot doesn't equal great ideas.

The Truth

Current Employee - SophosLabs Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - SophosLabs Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None left. Talented staff have left for green pastures!

Cons

Senior management is either incapable of telling truth or has decided the Sophos employees can not handle the truth@ Be prepared to work in a repressive environment. If you accept a position at Sophos, remember you are a commodity and you can and will be replaced without hesitation. A exact quote from a VP respected by his peers during a all hands meeting, “If you don't like it, you can leave this is not a prison sentence!”. I was shock along with all the other managers present.

The management team is damage control mode. They are sending out propaganda to it's employee as it it was the cold war all over again. The HR department celebrates by announcing the addition ~50 permanent or so employees every month in low wealth economies (Philippines, India, Budapest). They do not mention the loss of constant attrition of staff from first world countries.

A warning to customers your product is being built on match sticks, once this senior management team flip their stock/options. They are all going to jump off this sinking ship with their money.
    This is no more than a pump and dump exercise. Personally expect this company to be sold for pieces or be bought a security vendor with a true vision for security

Sophos was a respected vendor in the security space, but now it is just a mediocre company with dwindling/discontent customer base.

To summarize:
    Sophos Security == Mediocrity

There is no turning back now. One bad decision after another.

Nice people, terrible management

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than a year

Pros

In the technical team I was in, the people arround me where realy great to work with. The immedate managers where also very good.

Cons

Senor mangement, especialy the CEO are terrible and are just running the company into the ground. Loads of good people are leaving because pay and prospects are so poor.

1. Fire Kris Hagerman. 2. Pay people properly.

Becoming a truly great place to work

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity - if you put in the effort, you'll reap the rewards.

Great people to share ideas with and learn from.

You're respected for what you know and what you bring to the table and actively encouraged to use those things to make things better.

Lots of energy and new stuff to get your teeth into.

Healthy work/life balance - although it's hard to shut off sometimes.

Lots of little things the company does that make a difference, like they're currently running a weekly cinema on site with all the goodies provided free. In fact the office is one of the coolest buildings I've ever worked in and it's out of town, so commuting is "almost" a joy :)

Ultimately, it's a fun, challenging and very engaging place to work..which is why I still work here!

Cons

Very few. I guess if you want to cruise along and expect stuff handed to you on a plate, then you should look somewhere else for a job.

The pay and benefits package are OK - it would be great to have flexible benefits at some point, but we are well covered for most things.

I felt like Sophos had lost its way a bit over recent years - definite lack of focus for a while (which I reckon was because we grew too fast), but there's been a lot of changes across the top of the business, a lot of investment in integrating the new with the old and a really visible re-focus on the employees over this past 18 months or so, so it feels like it's genuinely back on track.

Carry on with what you're doing - we're winning again and that feels great!

Sophos - Bad for your career and worse for your CV

Current Employee - Senior Management  in  Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is really difficult - maybe the fact that the building in Abingdon is nice and subsidised canteen but apart from that, nothing.

Cons

As the company continues to fail on technology competitiveness, quality, leadership and now imminent profit reduction, everybody awaits the iceberg.
    Hagerman and co are crawling over everything and not allowing discipline experts to manage or lead - all due to desperation and ignorance at how to lead.

The exec team are desperate to cash in (IPO) and get out. There's a bunch of VP's holding on to hopefully cash in on there cash options. Awful state of affairs.

Good people leave - makes no difference whether they have been onboard a month, 6 or years.

Expensive execs have been recruited of late but these are mainly failed execs from successful organisations whereby they couldn't cut-it. Just look at these guys - why would they join a Sophos?

Current SMT can't/won't listen to current workforce as they are scared of the feedback.

Resign before the whole organisation goes completely belly up - which it will. Get 'some' credit by admitting you failed and go try something else - get some mentoring!

Be honest about acquisitions - they only happen if they are really cheap and can replace products/teams that have either lost there competitiveness or a team that can't deliver anymore due to the competent guys jumping ship to good companies.

Worked for Sophos? Contribute to the Community!