Sophos

Updated December 12, 2014
3.6

Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman
Kris Hagerman

Pros
  • Healthy work/life balance - although it's hard to shut off sometimes (in 14 reviews)

• Good work environment with occasional fun (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, you find yourself doing overtime on most days (in 5 reviews)

• Pay rises are usually pitiful, not keeping up with inflation and bonuses are 5% of salary (if targets have been met) (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I feel that Sophos truly values its employees from the top to the bottom. I am in a fairly junior role here but I always feel like my opinion matters and that my voice is heard. It is the most innovative and most dynamic company I have ever worked for and I hope to be here for the rest of my career. I have a clear and defined career path and am given everything I need to succeed. I really do not understand some of the bad reviews on this site...it really is not a fair reflection of what it is like to work here. I feel valued here, and for a company the size of Sophos that is really quite a rare thing.

Cons

...I am really struggling here...I know that no company is be perfect so I need to say something negative.....the food isnt great and the smoking area could be nicer!!

Naked Tuesdays?....just a thought.

So unfair.

I have been working at Sophos

Pros

Free doughnuts so you can kill yourself off before needing to collect your miserable pension.

Cons

Unless your team has the word Cloud in it expect to be shat on from a great height.

Innovative and progressive company!

Current Employee - Finance in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Last 2 years have been challenging and now the company has clear focus and direction with some innovative initiatives. Good work environment with occasional fun. Open management style, clear strategy and some clever, committed colleagues who keep you on your toes. Good bonus if company exceeds targets but this has been variable over the years.

Cons

Career path unclear for some roles although you can be promoted within the role. Miserly pension contribution (5%) compared to other UK companies. If assessed on salary alone it is apparently benchmarked with rest of market but some roles pay less than competitors. Overall still a great company to work for.

Consider addressing stated Cons and keep on doing what you have been doing for past 18 months as its working well and producing results!

Really enjoyable place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sophos is really good place to work.
    We've been through some hard times but are now quite clearly heading in the right direction.
    Abingdon HQ is a fantastic building.
    Free fruit and pastries, even a free bar sometimes!
    Work life balance is good, when I tip the balance the wrong way it is my choice rather than imposed upon me.
    Colleagues are intelligent but not dull.

Cons

Salaries and bonus scheme could be better

Sophos moving in the right direction

I have been working at Sophos

Pros

Company is more focused than a few years ago
    Flat structure is a chance to show what you can do
    Company tries to do the right things for employees around work

Cons

Managing demand on your time is key
    Flat structure means you need to build your own networks and lots of meetings
    Growing company means processes need implementing

Keep focusing on the projects and products adding value to the company, ditch those that aren't. Implement a lightweight governance process around which projects get go ahead and which don't.

Great place to work, exciting future

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology
    Clear direction, strategy and momentum
    Talented staff, great sense of teamwork
    Empowered to make decisions
    Strong leadership
    Fun working environment

Cons

Rapid growth can lead to systems & process not always keeping up
    Bonus payments could be higher based on the company success

Implement a CSR policy across the business i.e. green initiative, charity foundation etc

Amazing journey with awesome outlook

I have been working at Sophos full-time

Pros

From a strategic point of view, this company has got it right - finally. The products are better aligned with demands and there is genuine excitement about where it is heading.
    As an employee, there is plenty of freedom in how you manage yourself. The opportunity to work from pretty much anywhere on the globe with an internet connection. There is a culture of openness and transparency. You can design your own career.

Cons

Some processes, like expenses, are antiquated. To get a pay rise you are better off leaving your job and come back. Bonus package is a joke. Culture and employee satisfaction is inconsistent between different departments.

Do a reality check on remuneration vs tenure. The current policies encourages job hopping. There is little reward for staying on.

Rewarding ?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting challenges, continually, primarily due to the desire to cut corners and fire-fight the consequences.
    Facilities are good and comfortable working environment.

Cons

Very little reward for being committed or over-achieving against objectives. Looks like the management gain the rewards that staff are not allowed to share.
    Major pitfalls have been avoided so far but probably not for much longer.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité
    Change culture to start doing the right things right

Great place to work

Current Employee - Atypical Nerd in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Atypical Nerd in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, respected by immediate and more senior management, corporate strategy appears to be well founded, free healthy(ish) snacks and coffee, great working environment
    Sophos was a good place to work and it has of late become a great place to work, the firm has new energy and momentum under the new(ish) SMT and continues to grow both within the established business and by acquisition.
    Sophos has a very strong unique selling point in the support offered to customers and is building a strong cloud based offering, these and the ongoing focus on our core customer base give the company a solid foundation.
    The environment in Abingdon is fantastic and though there is room for improvement in the detail it does make up for the fact the remuneration package is not at the top of the scale.
    It is a very exciting and productive time to be at Sophos and I would encourage anyone thinking of joining to do so as in the mid to long term the company has a great deal to offer.

Cons

Pace of change can result in chaotic work load as work is chopped and changed to fit latest requirements.
    There is a small minority of grumblers who adverse to change are very negative in their outlook, they tend to have an over-represented voice which doe sap moral.

Keep doing what you are doing, don't pay too much attention to the grumblers as I doubt they represent the true picture

Back to winning ways

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun, challenging and rewarding place to work - not many politics. Smart people

Cons

Rate of change can be disruptive to the teams - process & priorities evolve quickly (which is good), but it happens too quickly sometimes