Sophos Reviews

Reset
3.4
Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman
Kris Hagerman

Pros
  • Healthy work/life balance - although it's hard to shut off sometimes (in 14 reviews)

• Excellent work environment, good management (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay rises are usually pitiful, not keeping up with inflation and bonuses are 5% of salary (if targets have been met) (in 7 reviews)

• One last thing that I believe is a con is that there is no training or continuing education program for sales people at Sophos (in 6 reviews)

Technical support - worst department to work in

I have been working at Sophos full-time

Pros

The only thing good about this company is the free fruit and pastries.

Cons

Awful management; any company wide rewards are never given to support or if they are they start before support can finish so Support does not benifit from any company events. Severely underpaid and no where near marker rates. There are no career progression... They don't offer any courses to aid knowledge but expect you to have a thorough understanding of all the products. There is also a server lack of training for most of the products. There are no rewards for going the extra mile but is always expected that you will. They don't pay over time, if you get stuck on a call at the end of the day they expect you to stay on the phone after hours to continue with the issue despite a new global phone system that links the offices together - this is not acceptable. All your bathroom breaks would be tracked along with any Unauthorised breaks, thankfully they have stopped with the bathroom break tracking. The canteen is very expensive for the quality of food you get, it's no better than a sloppy school dinner. There are not enough staff to deal with the work load which is constantly increasing. They have a reactive approach of employing people after work loads have rocketed instead of being proactive and using the sales protections to see how many new staff we might need. If you are happy to be under paid and very over worked then this is the place for you, otherwise stay clear of it.

Advice to Management

Get experienced managers and team leaders in, not young inexperienced people. Review salaries to be within the local market rates 2 times a year and get more staff in to take the work load.

2. I love Sophos (most of the time)

Current Employee - Somewhere Between Chief Executive Officer and Cleaner in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is relaxed and colorful especially now with all the new furniture, there is table tennis and table football at lunch if you are so inclined. There is a gym next door where we can get discount (from what I have been told). The company itself is definitely on the up, sales are hitting targets and the momentum behind our products is great (especially Cloud). Plus if you work in the Abingdon UK office like me, the building name is "The Pentagon", might be my inner geek coming out but it puts a smile on my face anytime I tell someone "I work at The Pentagon" :-)

Cons

One additional days holiday after 5 years isn't much of an incentive, even with the bottle of champagne and chocolate you also get. Maternity/Paternity pay isn't very good, compared to some other companies around us. Pay could be higher(I would say that anyway), some of our competitors are paying quite a bit more for the same roles (I could get about 40% more from Mcafee in London, and I live on the train line so it's tempting).

Advice to Management

Higher pay please, although you have announced that pay is being reviewed and is going to be aligned better with other competitors so (fingers crossed) you are already addressing this. 1 days additional holiday each year would be nice, you could always start it at year 2. Fix the toilets on the 1st floor in Abingdon!! half of them have been "out of order" for about 4 months now, seriously how hard can it be?

Great place to work I would recommend it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is really going places and sales are up every single quarter so there is money in the company. There seems to be some real drive and progress. Pay is good, while lots of people moan but they tend to be old timers who actually don't deserve more. The office is very good - high quality and free cakes, fruit and biscuits.

Cons

It is a busy place to work, it does require a lot of effort. It's been around a long time and some of the old timers really should go and work somewhere else. Holiday is very stingy it's advertised at 25 days per annum but they make you take 3 at Christmas so you only end up with 22. You can accrue more but only 1 day per 5 years service. The last company I was at we got 1 day per years service - that's more in tune with how people change jobs today and would actually create an incentive newer talented people to stay.

Advice to Management

You are clearly doing the right things - keep going. Bit of work on benefits wouldn't go amiss. You should also try and focus a little more, we have too many things happening at once.

Great company, fantastic culture and good people

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Sophos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sophos is a brilliant company to work for, they have a very clear understanding of what they want to achieve and this is clearly communicated to its employees. The culture is what makes Sophos a great company. They're constantly creating employee orientated days, activities and benefits. Working in the Global HQ (Oxford) is a great experience too, unusual for large security companies.

Cons

Sophos' pay is behind the industry standard and if you're successful, you can soon reach the ceiling. Unfortunately Sophos lose a lot of good people to other companies willing to pay more.

Advice to Management

Keep up the employee focus and pay good people more.

Sophos is one of the best companies to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clear strategy and direction from upper management, with a strong drive for innovation and quality. Compensation has improved since the tough global period is behind us. As Sophos is growing there are opportunities for promotions internally. Great working facilities and environment (UK). A real sense the company is going places.

Cons

As the company is growing fast it's a challenge to keep up with all the new things, people and locations you work with. UK company pension contributions aren't the worst but they aren't the best either.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the innovation but make sure to keep organised as we expand.

7. Above Par

Pros

Standard Pros for Sophos: near sports centre, canteen is good, free pastries in the morning, table tennis, pool, table football. 95% employees are easy to get along with and friendly. Company is currently making good profits.

Cons

Standard computer science cons: switching between methodologies, project specs change 3 months in etc etc. Long periods of not much work

Advice to Management

Rather than spending more money on hiring a ton load of people, you should spend it on keeping talent. Plan projects better or have greater flexibility when planning.

Political

Pros

Great talent within your immediate peers, most departments seem to work in harmony together on a day to day basis and nice working environment in Abingdon.

Cons

Politics, back stabbing and a clique, you're either in the club or you're not. Certain leaders take huge pleasure in berating other departments when they have an audience and others simply live in a bubble from reality. Talent lost on a constant basis because they won't pay market rates

Advice to Management

Celebrate the talent you have and get to know your staff directly, not just through your managers

Only focused to motivate Sales. Turning into a replicate of other American competitors, losing original values.

Current Employee - Accountant in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Accountant in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok to gain experience, it gets demotivating after being working for a year there.

Cons

No career progression exists unless you work in Sales. Lack of controls in all areas of the business and management not interested in motivating the staff.

Getting there

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sophos is definitely on the rise after a tough few years. There's a renewed vigour, and some innovation. Bonuses are being paid out again and some salaries being addressed although a little too slow for some. The office has had a revamp and is now far more colourful, with great break out areas. Great facilities, and some very good events including Christmas party, go-karting in the car park and the "spam & lettuce" pub on Friday evenings. So of the "old school" are complaining it's not like it used to be, but that's actually a positive. For several years it was over cautious to the point of nearly standing still. The new CEO (well he's been here several years already :) ) has brought in some good quality senior managers and has real ambition for the company.

Cons

For those of us who've been here a long time, salaries have declined in real terms but for many this is beginning to be addressed (although not for me yet, but that's for a different reason). Sometimes engineering can still be over cautious, and over analyse everything to the point where it's difficult to get things done but that's a hang over from how the founders ran it.

Advice to Management

Keep focussed, don't try to do too many things at the same time, focus on the key strategic developments and do them well.

Aggressive, controlling and heartless

Pros

good people at lower levels will grow - but at expense of people will float good starting salaries

Cons

CEO clueless about true culture of company Massive pay gap between execs and lower levels Very high turnover Heartless & Soulless; regular bullying, weekend working, aggression and constant infighting. All of which is accepted as a cost of delivery. Dominated by machismo and egos looking to empire build Delivery focus; unaware of own culture. no internal promotions or payrises for lower levels, zero external courses or coaching No hesitation in removing people due to 'cost savings' and then spending money on furniture and days out for remaining employees Process immature Siloed departments

Advice to Management

Leave

RSS Feed </> Embed