Sophos

Updated November 12, 2014
3.3

Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman
Kris Hagerman

Pros
  • Healthy work/life balance - although it's hard to shut off sometimes (in 14 reviews)

• Good work environment with occasional fun (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, you find yourself doing overtime on most days (in 5 reviews)

• Pay rises are usually pitiful, not keeping up with inflation and bonuses are 5% of salary (if targets have been met) (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I feel that Sophos truly values its employees from the top to the bottom. I am in a fairly junior role here but I always feel like my opinion matters and that my voice is heard. It is the most innovative and most dynamic company I have ever worked for and I hope to be here for the rest of my career. I have a clear and defined career path and am given everything I need to succeed. I really do not understand some of the bad reviews on this site...it really is not a fair reflection of what it is like to work here. I feel valued here, and for a company the size of Sophos that is really quite a rare thing.

Cons

...I am really struggling here...I know that no company is be perfect so I need to say something negative.....the food isnt great and the smoking area could be nicer!!

Naked Tuesdays?....just a thought.

Innovative and progressive company!

Current Employee - Finance in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Last 2 years have been challenging and now the company has clear focus and direction with some innovative initiatives. Good work environment with occasional fun. Open management style, clear strategy and some clever, committed colleagues who keep you on your toes. Good bonus if company exceeds targets but this has been variable over the years.

Cons

Career path unclear for some roles although you can be promoted within the role. Miserly pension contribution (5%) compared to other UK companies. If assessed on salary alone it is apparently benchmarked with rest of market but some roles pay less than competitors. Overall still a great company to work for.

Consider addressing stated Cons and keep on doing what you have been doing for past 18 months as its working well and producing results!

Sophos moving in the right direction

I have been working at Sophos

Pros

Company is more focused than a few years ago
    Flat structure is a chance to show what you can do
    Company tries to do the right things for employees around work

Cons

Managing demand on your time is key
    Flat structure means you need to build your own networks and lots of meetings
    Growing company means processes need implementing

Keep focusing on the projects and products adding value to the company, ditch those that aren't. Implement a lightweight governance process around which projects get go ahead and which don't.

Great place to work, exciting future

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology
    Clear direction, strategy and momentum
    Talented staff, great sense of teamwork
    Empowered to make decisions
    Strong leadership
    Fun working environment

Cons

Rapid growth can lead to systems & process not always keeping up
    Bonus payments could be higher based on the company success

Implement a CSR policy across the business i.e. green initiative, charity foundation etc

Amazing journey with awesome outlook

I have been working at Sophos full-time

Pros

From a strategic point of view, this company has got it right - finally. The products are better aligned with demands and there is genuine excitement about where it is heading.
    As an employee, there is plenty of freedom in how you manage yourself. The opportunity to work from pretty much anywhere on the globe with an internet connection. There is a culture of openness and transparency. You can design your own career.

Cons

Some processes, like expenses, are antiquated. To get a pay rise you are better off leaving your job and come back. Bonus package is a joke. Culture and employee satisfaction is inconsistent between different departments.

Do a reality check on remuneration vs tenure. The current policies encourages job hopping. There is little reward for staying on.

Rewarding ?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting challenges, continually, primarily due to the desire to cut corners and fire-fight the consequences.
    Facilities are good and comfortable working environment.

Cons

Very little reward for being committed or over-achieving against objectives. Looks like the management gain the rewards that staff are not allowed to share.
    Major pitfalls have been avoided so far but probably not for much longer.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité
    Change culture to start doing the right things right

Great place to work

Current Employee - Atypical Nerd in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Atypical Nerd in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, respected by immediate and more senior management, corporate strategy appears to be well founded, free healthy(ish) snacks and coffee, great working environment
    Sophos was a good place to work and it has of late become a great place to work, the firm has new energy and momentum under the new(ish) SMT and continues to grow both within the established business and by acquisition.
    Sophos has a very strong unique selling point in the support offered to customers and is building a strong cloud based offering, these and the ongoing focus on our core customer base give the company a solid foundation.
    The environment in Abingdon is fantastic and though there is room for improvement in the detail it does make up for the fact the remuneration package is not at the top of the scale.
    It is a very exciting and productive time to be at Sophos and I would encourage anyone thinking of joining to do so as in the mid to long term the company has a great deal to offer.

Cons

Pace of change can result in chaotic work load as work is chopped and changed to fit latest requirements.
    There is a small minority of grumblers who adverse to change are very negative in their outlook, they tend to have an over-represented voice which doe sap moral.

Keep doing what you are doing, don't pay too much attention to the grumblers as I doubt they represent the true picture

Back to winning ways

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun, challenging and rewarding place to work - not many politics. Smart people

Cons

Rate of change can be disruptive to the teams - process & priorities evolve quickly (which is good), but it happens too quickly sometimes

Great place to work - just avoid the moaning dinosaurs!

Current Employee - Sales in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company went through a tough few years but is now really going forward. Most of the sales teams are beating targets, the company is growing and the future looks really promising. The engineering and product teams have started to deliver the goods and the strategy and roadmap is excellent and also well communicated to the teams. The CEO and senior managers have had a tough job to reinvigorate the company and i think they have done really well. It is a really great place to work, it is hard work, but fun and rewarding. If you work hard then there is good career progression, most of the sales teams have been promoted internally into the roles they are now in.

Cons

There are still people who want to blame their own lack of motivation and advancement on everyone else. They have normally been at Sophos for ages and are sitting there waiting for someone else to sort their career out or just want it to be like "the good old days" without having the intelligence to understand that the "good old days" were what got the company into a bit of a mess in the first place. If you don't like what is happening or cant deal with change then you should just leave and get another job rather than hang around moaning, but of course this would involve actually doing something!

There are still areas that need investment in the systems and the people. Some departments are understaffed or underpaid and that needs to be remembered as not all complaints are without merit. I think training is sometimes neglected. But generally i think the managers i encounter are helpful and supportive and do a really good job of creating an environment where you can be successful, if you have the energy and motivation to take the opportunity. What is really good is that the company has a real direction and a simple strategy that everyone can buy into, and for the most part people have.

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Developer in Abingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Developer in Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great office (Abingdon) with excellent facilities. Many smart people working exceptionally hard to turn the company around after a tough couple of years. The fairly new SMT are setting challenging but realistic goals. Company is heading in the right direction.

Cons

Don't expect an amazing salary and certainly don't expect a real bonus. Pay rises are usually pitiful, not keeping up with inflation and bonuses are 5% of salary (if targets have been met). No loyalty to long serving staff whatsoever.

Give proper recognition to those have served their time. Far too many great people lost because the only way to get a pay rise is to leave.