Sophos

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman

Kris Hagerman

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Becoming a truly great place to work

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of opportunity - if you put in the effort, you'll reap the rewards.

Great people to share ideas with and learn from.

You're respected for what you know and what you bring to the table and actively encouraged to use those things to make things better.

Lots of energy and new stuff to get your teeth into.

Healthy work/life balance - although it's hard to shut off sometimes.

Lots of little things the company does that make a difference, like they're currently running a weekly cinema on site with all the goodies provided free. In fact the office is one of the coolest buildings I've ever worked in and it's out of town, so commuting is "almost" a joy :)

Ultimately, it's a fun, challenging and very engaging place to work..which is why I still work here!

ConsVery few. I guess if you want to cruise along and expect stuff handed to you on a plate, then you should look somewhere else for a job.

The pay and benefits package are OK - it would be great to have flexible benefits at some point, but we are well covered for most things.

I felt like Sophos had lost its way a bit over recent years - definite lack of focus for a while (which I reckon was because we grew too fast), but there's been a lot of changes across the top of the business, a lot of investment in integrating the new with the old and a really visible re-focus on the employees over this past 18 months or so, so it feels like it's genuinely back on track.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry on with what you're doing - we're winning again and that feels great!

Was great then they decided that they wanted to sell themselves off at all costs

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBelow management, the employees are great and do try to work hard.

ConsManagement has turned into a complete and utter disaster with the CEO directing the company towards being sellable. His decision to make the company a public entity is costing its reputation with those who still work there, those who have left there, and those who are in the industry in general. The company doesn't have the backbone to fire people in upper-management who lie about their honourary doctorates.

The potential for self-growth had left years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to astroturf and begin to act like a real player in the market, not one that wants to sell itself at all costs.

The Truth

SophosLabs Analyst (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone left. Talented staff have left for green pastures!

ConsSenior management is either incapable of telling truth or has decided the Sophos employees can not handle the truth@ Be prepared to work in a repressive environment. If you accept a position at Sophos, remember you are a commodity and you can and will be replaced without hesitation. A exact quote from a VP respected by his peers during a all hands meeting, “If you don't like it, you can leave this is not a prison sentence!”. I was shock along with all the other managers present.

The management team is damage control mode. They are sending out propaganda to it's employee as it it was the cold war all over again. The HR department celebrates by announcing the addition ~50 permanent or so employees every month in low wealth economies (Philippines, India, Budapest). They do not mention the loss of constant attrition of staff from first world countries.

A warning to customers your product is being built on match sticks, once this senior management team flip their stock/options. They are all going to jump off this sinking ship with their money.
This is no more than a pump and dump exercise. Personally expect this company to be sold for pieces or be bought a security vendor with a true vision for security

Sophos was a respected vendor in the security space, but now it is just a mediocre company with dwindling/discontent customer base.

To summarize:
Sophos Security == Mediocrity

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no turning back now. One bad decision after another.

Nice people, terrible management

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than a year

ProsIn the technical team I was in, the people arround me where realy great to work with. The immedate managers where also very good.

ConsSenor mangement, especialy the CEO are terrible and are just running the company into the ground. Loads of good people are leaving because pay and prospects are so poor.

Advice to Senior Management1. Fire Kris Hagerman. 2. Pay people properly.

Nice people, pleasant working conditions, but lots of chopping and changing saps morale

Abingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at Sophos full-time

ProsHelpful colleagues, free coffee/tea/fruit/biscuits/buns, good package BUPA etc, office in pleasant surroundings, open tolerant working atmosphere. Resourcing in shape of hardware, software, IT infrastructure improved in recent few years.

ConsOwned by venture capital so aim is to look good for an IPO - leads to lots of chopping and changing such as sacking large numbers one year then wondering why, less than a year later, there seems to be a shortage of workers to get projects done. No solid technical leadership - from time to time, almost accidentally, excellent senior technical staff are hired, but they are either swiftly demoralised by lack of backing, or purged.
Most amusingly, something was developed using an "agile" strategy where the philosophy was that you develop to meet the immediate needs and then refactor/rewrite as those needs change. Which is fine, but the management who imposed this method then were then caught seemingly by surprise when the initial release turned out to need an extensive re-architecture job because the quick first draft, targeted at modest numbers of users, had scaling issues...

Advice to Senior ManagementLong term strategy should be long term - follow things up. For example, security was the theme of the year and effort was put into upgrading compilers and vulnerability testing and security training but then it seemed to just be forgotten - new hires don't get trained, no-one keeps standards for tools and methods up to date, and various experts left or got made redundant so we are back where we started.

Sophos - Bad for your career and worse for your CV

Senior Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is really difficult - maybe the fact that the building in Abingdon is nice and subsidised canteen but apart from that, nothing.

ConsAs the company continues to fail on technology competitiveness, quality, leadership and now imminent profit reduction, everybody awaits the iceberg.
Hagerman and co are crawling over everything and not allowing discipline experts to manage or lead - all due to desperation and ignorance at how to lead.

The exec team are desperate to cash in (IPO) and get out. There's a bunch of VP's holding on to hopefully cash in on there cash options. Awful state of affairs.

Good people leave - makes no difference whether they have been onboard a month, 6 or years.

Expensive execs have been recruited of late but these are mainly failed execs from successful organisations whereby they couldn't cut-it. Just look at these guys - why would they join a Sophos?

Current SMT can't/won't listen to current workforce as they are scared of the feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign before the whole organisation goes completely belly up - which it will. Get 'some' credit by admitting you failed and go try something else - get some mentoring!

Be honest about acquisitions - they only happen if they are really cheap and can replace products/teams that have either lost there competitiveness or a team that can't deliver anymore due to the competent guys jumping ship to good companies.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Ten years of my life, for nothing.

I have been working at Sophos for more than 10 years

ProsIt used to be a great place to work. Some of the people are amazing. 99% of the amazing people have had the good sense to leave. You get to wear jeans & trainers.

ConsNo career structure (entire departments with no job descriptions), performance reviews have no relevance (you can hit all targets and still have your performance-related-pay held back), it's near-impossible for female staff to prosper due to the 'boy's club' management style, there are ludicrous cover-ups for certain staff who make huge mistakes (you wouldn't believe me if I told you) and the salaries in certain departments fall well below industry standards. Add to that the fact that a disturbing reliance on cheap, Eastern-European and Asian labour which falls well below par is becoming a trend, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have no idea what's happening to your company. You need to wake up, while you still have a few good people left in the building.

A Waste of 5 Years

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe work itself is interesting

ConsThis company do not care about their employees. From time to time we receive e-mails saying "You'll hear in the next hour if you've lost your job" so we have to sit and sweat and then watch colleagues disappear, all to cut costs and earn fat bonuses for the CEO who will, once he's floated the sinking Sophos ship, take his money and run.
All the CEO cares about is making he company look good on paper so he can profit.
Managers are unsupportive, suspect they're scared to speak out, colleagues are back-stabbing, many are infantile, all in all it makes for a terrible place to work.
Now he's going back to the USA so his kids can go to school there, even setting up an office as an excuse. No such considrations for the people who do the work and whose skills and expertise keep the company going.
I cant wait to get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and ditch the CEO before he sinks the ship without trace.
Oh and quit treating people unfairly

Sophos is the worst place I have ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Abingdon, England (UK)

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than a year

ProsThere really isn't anything good to say about working for Sophos. From the moment you join, you will spend every day thinking about how to get out of there.

ConsI'm writing this in the hope that somebody will see it before believing the hype they are sold by HR and management before joining, and will think twice about making what will most certainly turn out to be a very bad decision in going to work at Sophos.

I've worked for about 8 companies in my 22 year professional career. I also worked for a plethora of companies whilst at Uni. So let's say I've worked for about 20 different companies in my life.

Some of these companies were small, others were blue-chip, multi-national corporates. All different shapes & sizes with differing pro's and con's.

Can you guess what's coming? Yep, Sophos beats them all in terms of being the worst employer ever. And I really mean that. I've never seen anything like it and neither have my family or friends. Working for Sophos will destroy your life.

Expect to give up everything else in your life from the moment you walk into that shiny atrium. Because there really won't be any time left for anything outside of work. And I'm talking 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You will be expected to live, breathe, and you-know-what-else Sophos.

You will do this in fear of 2 things - (1) falling out of favour with management and being subjected to bullying on many levels, and (2) losing your job.

Expect not to be valued at all by your employer, regardless of your ability, efforts, or input.

Expect never to truly understand what it is you are supposed to be doing, or what strategy the company is working towards.

Expect never to receive any training, support or guidance from Sophos management. I have seen many many new hires arriving on their first day with high hopes quickly dashed when they learn that they have no job description, no clear remit and no manager willing to support their onboarding.

Expect to lose all your self esteem during this process. The angry, impatient, inflexible, intolerant culture is second to none I have experienced. The way people are spoken to, and generally treated is appalling. And this is not limited to one department or business area - it is endemic across the entire organisation. And if you don't have the nature to "fight" back, you are labelled as weak and incompetent and quite literally bullied by management. Ability, talent and intelligence simply do not come into the mix at Sophos.

Expect to see truly talented people leaving consistently, like rats deserting a sinking ship. Morale is so low at Sophos it's almost tangible in the air when you walk in - like a thick depressing fog. No wonder they never meet their targets.

Expect to feel afraid most days about making the wrong decision, or saying or doing the wrong thing. Expect that it will be expected that you should find things out for yourself - even when nobody else knows the answer. And expect to be chastised publicly if what you found out isn't what your manager wants to hear.

Expect never to understand the direction you are supposed to be going in. And don't expect a decent answer when you ask for clarity.

Never expect a payrise.

Never expect an appraisal.

Expect to have to keep your head down at all times, and never challenge what is quite obviously wrong, otherwise expect to be put in the firing line.

Expect to have unrealistic and unreasonable requests made of you every single day.

Expect to hate it.

Expect to be thoroughly disappointed that Sophos is absolutely not what they sell it to you as. It's just a mid-size company that did well on some innovative technology back in the 80's but couldn't grow and prosper as it should have done because it's never been allocated with the right leadership. It's now just got an over-inflated ego and a bunch of managers with their knickers in a twist trying to act global when really they're just bargain bucket compromises without an ounce of class between them.

And expect that nobody, and I mean nobody, will listen to you when you try to point out any of the above.

Sophos is not as well known as the much bigger McAffee and Fortinet. You only have to work there for a couple of weeks to find out why.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up & realise what a mess you are making of things!

Soul Destroying

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree fruit and pastries each morning

ConsSophos is a shockingly bad employer, not just because they don't do performance reviews, payrises, training, development or job descriptions. There is more to it than that. It's the culture. They take you from a bright, confident, energetic, talented, enthusiastic, experienced individual, and turn you into an exhausted, self-doubting, frightened, confused person who believes they are lucky just to have a job. The ridiculous hours, constant unnecessary pressure to achieve something/anything (even if it's a total waste of time!), useless confused management, and continual aggressive behaviour will do that to anyone. I read another review on here which called it a "god awful hell hole" and I wholeheartedly agree with that term. Engineer, Lawyer, Accountant, Salesman, whoever you are, you will find the same. Talented people are leaving in droves before they become completely broken by what I can only describe as the most soul destroying endeavour I have ever attempted.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves - you should be ashamed of what you're doing to people. Your people are human beings, not robots!

Worked for Sophos? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sophos reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Sophos employees.