Soraa

Soraa Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Soraa – US – “Soraa”

Jeffery Parker

Good company with a strong technology

Scientist (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsThis is a great place to do R&D. The technology is disruptive and there are plenty of intellectual challenges and some excellent and driven employees. Ambiance at work is good and friendly (at least in my surroundings - not sure what all the negative comments are about).

Benefits and work/life balance are good; stress level is moderate for a company still in growth mode.

In my opinion the company will be successful thanks to clearly differentiated products and rising brand recognition.

ConsThere have been some rough times, with layoffs not handled in the best way - especially at the Tech/Operator level.

In the past executive management has been weak (although it has improved in the past year)

Advice to Senior Management- keep the efforts to improve leadership and cohesion
    - make sure company success eventually benefits the employees...

Lights out for dim Soraa VPs

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting technology producing high quality light for niche customers willing to pay for it. Doubt it will ever generate enough profits to keep this company afloat.

ConsSimply awful management at the VP level. I can't believe Soraa VPs have attained these positions. Dysfunctional organization. Most good engineers have left this sinking ship already. Very competitive market with cut-throat pricing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep aside for someone capable please.

Initially optimistic with the opportunity, but ultimately skeptical of the company's future.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a regular paycheck with very good benefits, while living in an exciting part of the country. Some very interesting people pass through. And the company is quite flexible with your work/life balance. If you're highly observant and interested in Lighting, some fascinating research is occurring here. Further, the company also produces a superior quality lighting product.

ConsConstantly having to beg and plead with vendors who haven't been paid enormously inhibits your productivity. The organization has serious communication issues, at multiple levels. But ironically, there are endless meetings, most of which add zero (and perhaps negative) value to the enterprise.

Fundamentally, the company is seeking to sell a product which is largely commoditized (light bulbs), but attempting to operate in the most expensive regions of North America (Santa Barbara and The Bay Area). This would be challenging enough, but their product offerings within the lighting world are also very limited, and improperly marketed.

Unfortunately, its a perfect trifecta of Poor Decision Making, Poor Finances, and insignificant market penetration which creates an environment where employees are either constantly worried about layoffs, or dismally depressed about any prospects for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and retain people for their correct roles. Reduce quantity and improve quality of communication within the organization. Reward good decisions and ideas, and remove poor-decision makers who do not add value.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company with cutting edge product and smart new management!

Scientist (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsCutting edge LED technology
    Strong emphasis on R&D
    Lots of interesting challenges to tackle
    New CEO is nice and has great ideas.

ConsThis is a start up company, it goes through ups and downs and if you want a quiet comfortable job, it may not be a good fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to push hard for success!
    Maybe more company activities such as BBQs, parties, and events to show employees appreciation and promote good working relationship between employees.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Simply "Not Perfect"...far from it!

Management Team Member (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsCan't think of any. Oh yes ,a paycheck. If you are a sadist or masochist, this is the place for you!

ConsPeople take credit for other people's work, accomplishments.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome decent human beings. Try not to promote inept, unqualified, and inarticulate Vice Presidents.

Almost unbelievably bad leadership

Staff Integration Engineer (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsSoraa was a great place to work, BEFORE 2013.
    They are able to release 1 product every 2-3 years or so under excellent leadership of Radha

ConsJust 1 round of funding removed from doom. Many product development problems with the light source and the lamp assembly process which is a garage-type operation thousands of miles overseas.
    Bad karma from using overseas cheap labor (Indonesia).

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the entire 'Quality' department and re-hire Dan Steigerwald. Stop the fake New York factory.

Sad

Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsI have nothing nice to say about this company! But that the customers are getting bad product. Check your lamps.

ConsThere are so many to even put into words. But there lamps are a joke!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat management?....the ones they have are HORRIABLE!

Disorganized Product Coordination

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiverse tech exposure and benefits, depending on the position

ConsPoor communication, organization, and direction at the executive level

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a more effective chain of command

"Rut-ro Shaggy!"

Manager (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsCan't think of any except for free snacks, a cappuccino machine and a paycheck. Oh yeah, lots of parking! Can't wait to find a new job!

ConsMost V. P.'s here wouldn't survive at professional companies. Management by fear and intimidation. Severely lacking in leadership skills. Agree with " Run Don't Walk". If you kiss up to the right people you'll get promoted regardless of your leadership skills , ability to communicate clearly and effectively, or competency level. Bullying is rampant by the very senior level upper management. "Scooby Doo" is the worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over. You've _________ the pooch.

get shorty

Epitaxy Scientist (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsSome good brainpower scattered around, free sncaks again (until HR revokes again), and plenty of parking. Good commute location close to the Dubmarton bridge. Nice place to learn if you dont mind being overworked and underpaid and underappreciated.

ConsInept and unqualified mgmt (some with community college degrees), quarterly layoffs, angry phone calls from unpaid suppliers, managers who think they must taunt and goad people into working. No respect for workers rights. Don't bother applying here if youre not asian or white!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Hopefully you meet the same fate as Leo DiCaprio and drown in the Atlantic.

Worked for Soraa? Contribute to the Community!