Sorenson Communications Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Pat Nola

Pros
  • I enjoyed providing a necessary service for the deaf and hard-of-hearing community (in 3 reviews)

• Great part time job for a couple months, but long term will drive you insane (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not flexible with scheduling if you are full time (in 5 reviews)

• Trying to get clarification from my manager wasn't much help because most of the time middle management was just as much in the dark as the CA's were (in 3 reviews)

1. Best Job I've Had Yet!

Current Employee - Communications Assistant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Communications Assistant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Sorenson Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SUPER friendly environment, very thorough training and decent compensation fit for college students and retirees looking for a little extra income with flexible part-time positions. The most unique call-center experience I've had. Benefits are decent as well. Paid holidays. Breastfeeding friendly.

Cons

Being full-time, it's a little more noticeable if I take more than 4 days off in a 3-4 month period. Plus, being in the US paid, maternity leave is not offered here, although temporary disability is.

Advice to Management

Be progressive! Paid maternity leave!

2. Interpreter

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Sorenson Communications

Pros

Good solid company. National rankings, very organized with hands on supervision. Simple easy to follow instructions, good salary and benefits

Cons

Managerial staff doesn't seem to care about employees. Hard to get promotion or raise. Very political atmosphere with no rhyme or reason for promotion activity.

Advice to Management

Give hard working employees credit and salary incentives to reward them. Promote based on performance and work history, instead of personal likes or dislikes.

3. Think twice before working for this abusive company

Former Employee - Video Interpreter
    Former Employee - Video Interpreter

I worked at Sorenson Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of work if they like you. Don't have to battle traffic between assignments. Plenty of food in the break room in some centers, although most of it is unhealthy. The Terpnet software is pretty good.

Cons

Punitive environment focused on generating profit by racking up minutes on the backs of interpreters. For example, Sorenson centers rotate a "no-fly zone", 17 minutes during which the interpreters are not allowed to take a break from taking calls. If you have to go to the restroom you're told to hold it. Maybe 17 minutes doesn't sound bad but when call volume is high and breaks are even more restricted, interpreters are sometimes stuck on calls for one or two hours solo. If you take a violent or emotionally upsetting call that ends in no-fly and you take a break because you just can't take the next call, you're reprimanded for violating the no-fly policy. If you call for a team too often, you're interrogated as to the reason why. If you take a break that's even one minute over the allowable time, you get an email reminding you that you violated the break policy. If your login percentage falls below the unreasonable allowable %, full time interpreters are threatened with write-ups and part-time interpreters are threatened with reduced or no schedules. The video quality is often terrible, especially when the deaf person uses a phone or tablet. The picture is sometimes so pixellated and choppy that it's next to impossible to know what the deaf person is signing. They tell you the installers train deaf people regarding signal quality, lighting, etc. but this is a lie as the deaf installers also place calls with low signal quality and poor lighting. Some of us have complained about this for years with no resolution. Sorenson is not interested in listening to or protecting the wellbeing of its interpreters, only in the maximum possible billable minutes. They also violate FCC regulations by telling interpreters to process dual relay calls and log them as billable. The FCC has never considered VRS to VRS calls compensable. They add more restrictive policies all the time and also make up policies when it suits them that can't be found in any of their manuals. Some of the centers are way too noisy because they pack in as many stations as they can and separate them with flimsy dividers. They don't care that hearing callers complain about the noise and interpreters are too distracted by the noise to do decent work. They have absolutely no focus on interpreting quality. All their reports and kudos are for taking and completing calls as fast as possible so the minutes add up. Yet no matter how fast we take and end calls to the point of hurting ourselves mentally and physically, they told us that there will be no cost of living adjustments this year. They hire even interpreters who don't pass their screening test and turn them loose on the phones. Later they pay them to attend a week-long training and then turn them loose again with no further supervision. Calling for a team is a gamble because many of the interpreters who come to team cannot help as they lack the skills. They hire trilingual interpreters who speak fluent Spanish but barely any English. The management in the centers where I have worked has no leadership capability. They protect one another and accept one another's reports, no matter how bogus, so it's impossible to get recourse for abusive actions on the part of management. I've never worked for worse supervisors. I started there as a motivated interpreter with a high certification level, advanced skills, and a great deal of motivation. I left 2 years later with high blood pressure, anxiety, and carpal tunnel syndrome. After decades as a professional interpreter, I was so burned out and beaten into the ground that I considered leaving the field altogether. And no matter how hard we worked to take and end calls as fast as possible, to the point of hurting ourselves mentally and physically, they told us there would be no cost of living increases this year. Last year I got a 10 cent per hour raise. IN comparison, check out the CEO's salary. I also believe the center managers get raises or bonuses commensurate with the performance of their interpreters, another reason why they crack the whip. This year they gave some of us a $25 bonus, which for me equals roughly .01 cents per hour. This is a perfectly accurate representation of the value Sorenson places on its interpreters.

Advice to Management

Shame on you. Stop putting money in your own pockets at the expense of your interpreters. Make just one substantive positive change for the true wellbeing of your interpreters, not just to make more money and exercise a monopoly over the VRS system. Put focus on the quality of interpreting services. Some of the interpreters you hire can't sign an ASL sentence. This is abusive to the deaf community and to interpreters who need the support of team interpreters who don't have the skills to provide that support. And stop harassing those interpreters who dare challenge your abusive policies.

5. Decent Job

Current Employee - Video Interpreter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Video Interpreter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sorenson Communications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to set your own schedule. More consistent than freelance interpreting. Pays decently.

Cons

VRS is not an easy job. Used to offer more perks, but have really trimmed down in recent years. Rare to work full-time there.

6. Laid back job with politics

I worked at Sorenson Communications

Pros

Mostly a laid back environment.
    Decent pay for the job
    Helping the deaf and hard of hearing
    Great co-workers

Cons

Lack of direction
    poor management
    CEO and leadership is corrupt and dishonest

Advice to Management

Stop taking advantage of the system and get back to helpinf the deaf and hard of hearing community.

7. Good Company- Great People

I worked at Sorenson Communications

Pros

Interpreters are very skilled professionals

Cons

employees pay and lack of access to vacation time

Advice to Management

Invest more in their employees

8. Great place to start my career.

I have been working at Sorenson Communications

Pros

Sorenson is really flexible and provides a good environment for their employees.

Cons

Because of the community they serve they are working in a very niche market. Sometimes this makes it so they have to back support old tech a long ways.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing Sorenson has been a great experience for me thus far.

9. Good position for new college graduates.

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator

I have been working at Sorenson Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, service to community (especially ASL/ESL community, new experience.

Cons

Poor pay, inconsistencies with managers and unfair disciplinary actions.

Advice to Management

Work on fair treatment and notice the work that your employees do for the company.

10. Bizarre experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Sorenson Communications

Pros

Nice co-workers. Best part of the job.

Cons

Mismanaged, no management guidelines. Worst management I've ever seen in my career.

Advice to Management

Take a look at who you have in charge. A lot of wolf in sheep clothing going on. Listen to the staff.

11. Sorenson is an excellent place to work

I worked at Sorenson Communications full-time

Pros

Company leadership runs the business with integrity and genuinely cares about the well-being of employees at all levels. Plenty of opportunities for professional development and career advancement.

Cons

Although there has been a great deal of improvement in recent years, the tendency to use the "GO! Ready, set..." approach does still happen.

Advice to Management

Upper management could do a better job of modeling good work/life balance.

RSS Feed </> Embed