Sorrento Lactalis

Updated May 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fréderick Bouisset

A great learning experience with a company that appreciates its employees.

Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
    Nampa, ID

ProsThe culture of the company was great, I felt like part of the team. The engineers I worked with respected me and helped me learn a lot about not only project management, but also the processes (thermodynamic, fluid, etc.) and how they are dependent on each other. I was also given meaningful projects to oversee, which became great experiences.

ConsThere wasn't a position available for me when the internship was complete, but I knew that going in so it's not that big of a deal.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire another engineer.

good pay and benefits, horrible management and lack of future unless you speak French!

Production Supervisor (Former Employee)

Prosgood pay for hourly staff, but if you move up, the company pays as little as possible. Off the street hires are payed more even if they have no experience.

ConsManagement is know it all and reinvent the wheel when an issue can be solved faster with staff involved, but failures are staff's fault and management makes no mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn people skills

Sorrento Lactalis is a highly profitable company where they expect you to work hard.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Nampa, ID

ProsGreat benefits and retirement plans

ConsHigh pressure, not a lot of praise for jobs well done

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the positive and tell your employees when they do a good job, don't just yell at them when something goes wrong

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay, Terrible Company

Production Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Nampa, ID

ProsGood paycheck, benefits, and people

ConsAll staff are expected to give MORE to the company because they pay you! If you do not answer your phone then you will be told this. Ha ha, Horrible communication skills from the French management who knows more than all of us and If you do not believe me then ask them they will explain it all to you.
    French management does not have to follow any rules and like most employees the HR department will not push the issue because they will be retaliated against since most are American. The French are bigots! They have no respect for Americans or care for experience; they have socialized education so they know more than everyone! I spent 15 years working the cheese business; but my lack of degree made me less knowledgeable. Yet some young inexperienced American girl who interned in France and speaks French was hired as an Assistant Manager. The best part is that she admitted to getting the job because she spoke French. Currently youth is the thing, under thirty is the new management team being hired and to make sure it is ok they are also French. Americans need not apply to management as they will not be considered since they lack the superior French education. If you disagree or do not give enough, you will be disciplined and constantly berated as a “moron” or “trash”. As a previous Review stated if you want to work in an antiquated managements system from 20 years ago this is the company for you.
    There have been so many negative experiences with this company it is difficult to list everything. But to sum everything up, as an American you will be blamed for issues instead of the real issues. Management is French and positions may not be posted as new French people will be hired for the job without anyone knowing the position existed. Company rules and laws do not apply to French people and they will not be held accountable for their actions. Hard work is not rewarded without the proper credentials to reinforce such praise. New equipment can only be figured out by French Management since Americans are dumb lazy imbeciles; therefore it will run poorly because management will not listen to anyone including the contractors that installed the machines. They will also not be paid until the French have milked them for everything they can steal. To make it certain they have no ethics, if they ruin equipment newly installed they will lie about what happened and push the supplier to replace it at the supplier’s cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake classes on American Culture, and learn to work WITH staff to achieve goals, be less secretive, this is Cheese not a high security business

A daily struggle in communication.

Buffalo, NY

ProsGood benefits, employees are good people who truly want to get the job done. Product is good and desired by public.

ConsPoor, almost non existent communication. Workers are forced overtime on a common basis. Do not expect a family life at this plant.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people and allow your first line supervisors the ability to make a change. Promote based on ability, not seniority.

Gross mismanagement practices, incompetency and a lack of accountability in leadership is killing this company off.

(Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsCoworkers are friendly. This company provides decent healthcare benefits and pay for the industry. Products sold to employees at discount prices.

ConsLong, arduous hours. No family life since most holidays and weekends are spent in the plant. Total lack of consideration of most "worker bees". Most departments are short staffed to the point of burning out floor workers with excessive mandatory overtime. There is no job gratification nor recognition. Inconsistant employee raises, lack of clear direction and absolutely no management accountability for even major crisis events. Management competency levels are low and instead of attempting to resolve an issue, they often look for underling scapegoats to blame in almost any crisis situation. Bright, creative individuals are seen as a threat to manager positions, not utilized as a company asset. As a result, most of these talented individuals seek employment elsewhere. High turnover rates with floor personnel and especially first line supervisors. Very high pressure put on workers because mid/upper management generally has extremely poor decsion making skills. Many people are taking blood pressure meds to combat hypertension from the job. Many others simply eventually quit due to the mental strain.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour antiquated business model is broken. Bring in some fresh faces and new talent from the outside. Current management and execs are driving away innovative people that add great value to your company. If you do promote from the inside, at least ensure that these candidates have the minimum core knowledge for the positions that they seek. Nepotism and the buddy system are dumbing down the talent pool and killing off your business through poor management skills and protectionism. Purge these people, as they poison your environment and cost you not just revenues but also human capital. You're losing so much money to overtime costs, lots of redo work and downtime due to a lack of planning by inexperienced and/or underqualified department managers. Focus on doing the job right the first time and these problems will be minimized and profits will increase. Invest that savings into new equipment and some real employee training. Instead of "hanging on" to the business you can then begin to further expand this company. Start listening to the people on the floor who know the problems and frequently offer valuable input that falls upon deaf ears. Don't treat them as imbeciles. A little bit of respect and a tactful approach can go a long way in a manufacturing facility.

good experience a long all this years lots training lorning something every day on cheese making

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Tipton, CA

Prosgood place to work incluiding 401k good insurance good hours

Conschanges on the last minute

Executive turnover in all the wrong places

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsMostly quality product. If you are french, you have it made.

ConsTotal dysfunction from the top. Manager responsible for severe quality and employee problems promoted to head of quality. CFO micromanages and is laughing stock of all departments. Do not know how to develop and launch new products. French leadership trying to run business same as French way. HR rules do not apply to anyone French. If you enjoy stories of how Supply Chain, Sales and CFO "performed" 20 years ago, this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe first 2 CEO's took the fall for corrupt Execs. CFO and Sales clueless and should be upgraded.

Cheesy company. French owners have complete contempt for American workers.

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsFree cheese in the kitchen.

ConsSmelling the cigars of the executives in the office despite it not being legal to smoke in the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as collegues, not chattel.

time to re think what makes a company successfull

Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee)

Prosmarket recognition, friendly, co workers, good location

Consno value to hourly employees.

Advice to Senior Managementplease concider how creative , dedicated, and valuble employees could be if they were treated like an important part of the team.

Worked for Sorrento Lactalis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sorrento Lactalis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sorrento Lactalis CEO Fréderick Bouisset. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Sorrento Lactalis employees.