Sorrento Lactalis

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
1.9

Fr├ęderick Bouisset

A lot of work, not necessarily the best communication, but a strong company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sorrento Lactalis full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A strong company, if you are motivated you can have a nice career, but it comes with a lot of work, but not always work that makes sence.

Cons

Long hours, annual raises are minimal

Please read and understand what I have written and think about it.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Nampa, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Nampa, ID

I have been working at Sorrento Lactalis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros. Similar companies offer more money and equal benefits.

Cons

Staff is short handed so 60 hour work weeks for hourlies is not uncommon (this has been on going for 3 years now). Managers are expected to work 60-80 hour weeks for crap wages and if you are due any sort of review or raise good luck getting it with in 6 months. Top managment does crap like hire consultant companies to come tell us all we need to do is talk to our employees and suddenly they won't care that they never get to see their family or that their work load and stress level is too high. There have been multiple Managers, Supervisor, and employees that have walked out at the site I work at, and no offense but if that happened at one of my plants as the CEO I would want to know why. Pretty much everything is in very bad shape but what does it really matter. Even if the actual CEO reads this he won't do anything about it. Everything is about profit but the main thing behind profit which is the people that make your product are neglected or run into the ground. 95% of the workers I work with are looking for a job somewhere else and again as a CEO that should be very disturbing. Especially since most of them would take a 4 to 5 dollar an hour pay cut just to not have to work at Lactalis. With the global work force dwindling soon there will not be enough people to fill all the jobs available globally, and Lactalis will be at the bottom of the list for places people will work. I don't know why I wasted my time writing this maybe just on the hope that someone putting it in a non confrontational way will make someone listen but I am almost certain this will not be the case.

Top management needs to stop trying to be the biggest and make what they have the best or this company will not survive the work force shortage. No one will work for companies that treat their people like crap. Again I know this will fall on deaf ears because it is already too late for lactalis. The wheels have been set in motion for this companies down fall.

The company will bleed you dry and then throw you out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Sorrento Lactalis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are nice, but many are unhappy and looking for new jobs. The industry is interesting. Health insurance is good.

Cons

Very stressful. Understaffed to the detriment of the company and employees. Constant turnover. Some lifers who do nothing are kept on while others, who are great employees, are tossed to the curb. No loyalty to employees. Lack of competent management. Double standard for Americans versus the French and Buffalo versus NYC employees. Zero work-life balance. No appreciation for employees. Micromanagement.

Pay market wages equally and learn how to treat your employees with respect. Get with the times and realize that to make money you need to focus on those who work hard to make the money for you.

Lack of integrity and professionalism = high turnover and low morale

Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Sorrento Lactalis full-time

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

High turnover, low morale and low employee confidence in management and HR. All employees (Including management) are required to participate in "Best Work Environment" training annually, but it does NOT apply. Unprofessional management behavior occurs on a regular basis and employees receive NO support from HR. This has created a very depressing work environment in which employees are focused more on survival than on their duties.
    The lack of trust, integrity and professionalism are the main reasons that Lactalis continues to have difficulty attracting, hiring and retaining good people.

Please focus more on professionalism and integrity.

A great learning experience with a company that appreciates its employees.

Former Intern - Engineer Intern in Nampa, ID
    Former Intern - Engineer Intern in Nampa, ID

I worked at Sorrento Lactalis as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The culture of the company was great, I felt like part of the team. The engineers I worked with respected me and helped me learn a lot about not only project management, but also the processes (thermodynamic, fluid, etc.) and how they are dependent on each other. I was also given meaningful projects to oversee, which became great experiences.

Cons

There wasn't a position available for me when the internship was complete, but I knew that going in so it's not that big of a deal.

Hire another engineer.

good pay and benefits, horrible management and lack of future unless you speak French!

Former Employee - Production Supervisor
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor

I worked at Sorrento Lactalis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good pay for hourly staff, but if you move up, the company pays as little as possible. Off the street hires are payed more even if they have no experience.

Cons

Management is know it all and reinvent the wheel when an issue can be solved faster with staff involved, but failures are staff's fault and management makes no mistakes.

Learn people skills

Sorrento Lactalis is a highly profitable company where they expect you to work hard.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Nampa, ID
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Nampa, ID

I have been working at Sorrento Lactalis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and retirement plans

Cons

High pressure, not a lot of praise for jobs well done

Focus on the positive and tell your employees when they do a good job, don't just yell at them when something goes wrong

Good pay, Terrible Company

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Nampa, ID
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Nampa, ID

I worked at Sorrento Lactalis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good paycheck, benefits, and people

Cons

All staff are expected to give MORE to the company because they pay you! If you do not answer your phone then you will be told this. Ha ha, Horrible communication skills from the French management who knows more than all of us and If you do not believe me then ask them they will explain it all to you.
    French management does not have to follow any rules and like most employees the HR department will not push the issue because they will be retaliated against since most are American. The French are bigots! They have no respect for Americans or care for experience; they have socialized education so they know more than everyone! I spent 15 years working the cheese business; but my lack of degree made me less knowledgeable. Yet some young inexperienced American girl who interned in France and speaks French was hired as an Assistant Manager. The best part is that she admitted to getting the job because she spoke French. Currently youth is the thing, under thirty is the new management team being hired and to make sure it is ok they are also French. Americans need not apply to management as they will not be considered since they lack the superior French education. If you disagree or do not give enough, you will be disciplined and constantly berated as a “moron” or “trash”. As a previous Review stated if you want to work in an antiquated managements system from 20 years ago this is the company for you.
    There have been so many negative experiences with this company it is difficult to list everything. But to sum everything up, as an American you will be blamed for issues instead of the real issues. Management is French and positions may not be posted as new French people will be hired for the job without anyone knowing the position existed. Company rules and laws do not apply to French people and they will not be held accountable for their actions. Hard work is not rewarded without the proper credentials to reinforce such praise. New equipment can only be figured out by French Management since Americans are dumb lazy imbeciles; therefore it will run poorly because management will not listen to anyone including the contractors that installed the machines. They will also not be paid until the French have milked them for everything they can steal. To make it certain they have no ethics, if they ruin equipment newly installed they will lie about what happened and push the supplier to replace it at the supplier’s cost.

Take classes on American Culture, and learn to work WITH staff to achieve goals, be less secretive, this is Cheese not a high security business

A daily struggle in communication.

I have been working at Sorrento Lactalis full-time

Pros

Good benefits, employees are good people who truly want to get the job done. Product is good and desired by public.

Cons

Poor, almost non existent communication. Workers are forced overtime on a common basis. Do not expect a family life at this plant.

Listen to your people and allow your first line supervisors the ability to make a change. Promote based on ability, not seniority.

Gross mismanagement practices, incompetency and a lack of accountability in leadership is killing this company off.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Sorrento Lactalis

Pros

Coworkers are friendly. This company provides decent healthcare benefits and pay for the industry. Products sold to employees at discount prices.

Cons

Long, arduous hours. No family life since most holidays and weekends are spent in the plant. Total lack of consideration of most "worker bees". Most departments are short staffed to the point of burning out floor workers with excessive mandatory overtime. There is no job gratification nor recognition. Inconsistant employee raises, lack of clear direction and absolutely no management accountability for even major crisis events. Management competency levels are low and instead of attempting to resolve an issue, they often look for underling scapegoats to blame in almost any crisis situation. Bright, creative individuals are seen as a threat to manager positions, not utilized as a company asset. As a result, most of these talented individuals seek employment elsewhere. High turnover rates with floor personnel and especially first line supervisors. Very high pressure put on workers because mid/upper management generally has extremely poor decsion making skills. Many people are taking blood pressure meds to combat hypertension from the job. Many others simply eventually quit due to the mental strain.

Your antiquated business model is broken. Bring in some fresh faces and new talent from the outside. Current management and execs are driving away innovative people that add great value to your company. If you do promote from the inside, at least ensure that these candidates have the minimum core knowledge for the positions that they seek. Nepotism and the buddy system are dumbing down the talent pool and killing off your business through poor management skills and protectionism. Purge these people, as they poison your environment and cost you not just revenues but also human capital. You're losing so much money to overtime costs, lots of redo work and downtime due to a lack of planning by inexperienced and/or underqualified department managers. Focus on doing the job right the first time and these problems will be minimized and profits will increase. Invest that savings into new equipment and some real employee training. Instead of "hanging on" to the business you can then begin to further expand this company. Start listening to the people on the floor who know the problems and frequently offer valuable input that falls upon deaf ears. Don't treat them as imbeciles. A little bit of respect and a tactful approach can go a long way in a manufacturing facility.