Sotheby's International Realty

Updated May 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael R. Good

In a constantly evolving industry, Sotheby's International Realty stands out by maintaining a strong brand concept.

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsSotheby's International Realty provides the opportunity to experience and contribute to hyper-local as well as global marketing strategies. Each market functions as an independent company within a company and the corporate office works with each region to maintain brand consistence and assist with the adaptation or alteration of initiatives to better fit the local market.

ConsA once highly seasonal environment, the market has now shifted so that there is no real down-time. With approximately 50 agents as well as staff members vieing for information, days can be extremely chaotic and unstructured; providing a complicated environment to set and meet deadlines. There is also considerable tension between the beliefs of the needs of the local vs. the reality of either financial logistics or the brand image that is trying to be conveyed. Real Estate agents are independent contractors, so at times it can be a very fine line between working for the Agent (who is viewed as the client) and keeping the best interest of the company in mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile pairing down staff was extremely necessary and effective to cope with the stressors of a recession period, no staff should be so small as to not have the adequate resources for coverage so that every member can take their vacation time, in appropriate time lengths, without fear of interruption to family time or the backlog that they will return to (one that may make a vacation seem implausible). Also, regardless of a previous work relationship with the company, staff should have to meet the requirements for technological learning for their position. Not having a local IT department means that each staff member should have some training in basic troubleshooting, diagnostics and escalation. This should not fall to one staff member alone to add to their regular duties - especially when not described, attributed or compensated per their job description.

Not the best for beginners

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly and some people are always there to help

ConsNo training or help getting started

Associate

Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosprofessional organization with good company values

Consthe office location has made it difficult to find parking for employees and clients as well

Advice to Senior Managementpay for parking in some designated areas in the parking structure and for use on a first come first service basis as associates and clients are not always in the office at the same time

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on agent you get as a mentor

Licensed Assistant (Current Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsLuxury, well known brand that has an immense amount of online tools and training

ConsFast-paced, employer doesn't have as much time to spend/train with you

Advice to Senior ManagementDig a little deeper when matching team members/assistants

Expensive, but could be worth it if you need the marketing boost

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsMarketing is top notch from the brand

ConsVery expensive franchise fees compared to others, systems not up to par yet

Great colleagues, very experienced. Only hire the best of the best.

Realtor (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsBroker is great and humble. Everyone is pretty much always willing to help which is great. There can be a bit of tension at times.

ConsNot much fellowship. There should be a lot more activities for socializing and networking. The company does not give leads, just wonder where it goes?

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more social activities and invite all realtors to informative classes or events.

RE Sales Person

ProsIncredible corporate culture, particularly at the senior management level. Unmatched history and brand name. Great training.

ConsRE Sales is tough right now, but Daniel Gale Sotheby's does it very best in an active way to help agents thrive.

RE Assistant

Assistant to RE Agent (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexible hours, good office environment, friendly staff, pretty good holiday/ work related events and parties.

ConsWorking weekends (open houses), the agent I work for does not give PTO,

Depends on office...

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsLuxury brand with plenty of good agents and friendly staff. Treats agents very well. Management in NY was fantastic and cared about employees a lot.

ConsManagers often don't have college degrees and are just former real estate agents. It was frustrating difficult having a higher education level then superiors. Not much room for growth. Benefits and raises cut during crisis. They care more about their agents than the staff supporting them.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire higher degrees of management. Better salaries.

Excellent marketing by Sotheby's. Local management (Russ Lyon) leaves much to be desired.

Listing Contract Administrator (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsInteractions with Agents and co-workers.

ConsWork expectations from management. Some employees were allowed to work from home in order to maintain work load while other were not.

Advice to Senior Management4 dismissals in less than 2 years. Perhaps the owners should consider replacing management instead of employees.

Worked for Sotheby's International Realty? Contribute to the Community!