SoulCycle Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
4.3

CEO

Beware of toxic studio environments

Former Employee - Assistant Studio Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Studio Manager in New York, NY

I worked at SoulCycle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is fairly good and benefits are excellent. SoulCycle as a company is great in giving each employee, especially each studio manager, the tools and the freedom to succeed and grow professionally. Free classes at all locations and guest rider policy is very generous. Day to day operations are not particularly challenging (can be a pro or a con). There are a number of genuinely friendly, hard-working, and driven individuals who work for this company. Hours can be odd, but it is easy to maintain a good work-life balance.

Cons

At first glance, SoulCycle seems like an extremely fun, rewarding place to work. However, behind its clean, shiny exterior lies a company that, at times, seems more like a high school cafeteria. Demotions and firings are commonplace, and are made seemingly on a whim, with no regard to the livelihoods of hard-working employees.

SoulCycle is growing quickly, and the environment of each studio varies alarmingly. Many studios can be very exclusionary, clique-y, and standoffish. The amount of gossip between these cliques borders on offensive. The hard working cleaning staff at almost every studio are treated almost like second class citizens, with almost zero interaction or even acknowledgement from front desk staff or studio managers. The rapid growth of SoulCycle has led to a number of poor quality hires, and a high turnover rate is very common at all levels.

While most riders are pleasant and courteous, there is a very loud, and very entitled, minority of unpleasant and rude riders at every studio. While this is the case throughout the entire service industry, SoulCycle as a company enables this entitled behavior.

Happiness can be had within this company, but each studio is wildly different and comes with its own set of drawbacks.

SoulCycle Response

Oct 22, 2014Manager of Corporate Recruiting

Hi,
    Thank you so much for your feedback and for taking the time to write us a review. We are so grateful that you took the time to provide some insight about your experience here so we can use it
    ... More

Awesome Work Environment with Opportunities for Growth!

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've never worked in an office where I've like EVERYONE! The people here are smart, kind, funny and it just makes it easier to come to work everyday Mon-Fri! The office culture is great b/c SoulCycle offers tons of development training and wants to make sure that everyone is thriving in their positions. The company cares about your personal growth as well as growth with in your current position.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but things are constantly changing, growing, evolving and you must always be on your toes. We operate with a start up mentality and everyone works super hard b/c they WANT to. The company is expanding all over the US and corporate interacts with the studio teams every day. Interacting with the studios can sometimes mean unconventional work hours if you are in a department that the studios depend on for immediate response.

Invaluable Experience.

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time

Pros

The company culture supports and inspires a healthy lifestyle. A major benefit is complimentary classes and it's strongly encouraged to take class! SoulCycle attracts some of the best people and you will meet some of your best friends working here. People care so much- everyone from part-time employees to senior management. There seems to be a constant curiosity around how people are feeling, if we are maintaining culture as we expand, and what we can do to improve. That's rare! Also, with the company expanding rapidly, there are major growth opportunities not just in your title but in how much you will learn.

Cons

It's a growing company which often means people wear a lot of hats and have a heavy workload. It's possible that even some of our interns are doing things that most coordinators would do at other companies. You have to be maleable and up for the challenge of constantly taking on more. If you're up for it, you'll learn so much and the experience will be invaluable.

Keep evaluating culture constantly.

Challenging, fulfilling, supportive office environment

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Never a dull moment. Always new projects coming down the pipeline, with opportunities to dive deep into unfamiliar territory and come out with sharpened skills. I'm surrounded by talented, engaged coworkers, always teaching me new things. Some of the guys here play in a band, and we come to their shows in force--very supportive environment.

Compensation is competitive, and depending on what department you're in and how you conduct yourself, there can be flexibility with scheduling. It's definitely a results-oriented environment rather than everyone watching the clock.

Cons

The company is in the process of transitioning from a start-up to an enterprise. There's always growing pains. Also, I wouldn't call it a con exactly, but cultural fit is really important.

Love my job and this community

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible community. Coworkers are genuinely excited to come to work every day (as am I), we LOVE what we do, believe in the company, work hard & are self-starters. We feel a personal responsibility to make this company and community the best it can be.
    Free classes, easy to make friends, hard work is recognized, employees feel valued for their ideas and suggestions. Although we are expected to answer all emails within 24 hours (so sometimes means you take your work home at night/ on weekends), everyone is very understanding and reasonable about personal commitments. Bosses trust that you will get your own work done in timely fashion (and we do). Very young - in terms of employees - company, mostly 20 + 30 year olds.

Cons

Salary is low, often feels like a struggle to live in NYC on the paycheck. I wonder if higher ups are aware of how much this affects their employees because they are so far removed from living paycheck to paycheck.
    Not a ton of direction in terms of growth, only eligible for promotions/salary increases once a year (which is unmotivating).
    Health benefits have been diminished year over year, worrisome re: potential of staying with the company long-term.

I'd review the cons and see how to improve upon shared grievances. The ones I listed are strongly felt across the company.

Working at SoulCycle

I have been working at SoulCycle

Pros

A lot of learning opportunities within the company and team encourages you to take initiative.
    You meet great people.
    You get to ride SoulCycle classes for free, which is great in the morning or at your lunch break.

Cons

Classes can be really tough.

Manager

Current Employee - Corporate Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is always something fun happening at the office. Guest speakers. Music. Private rides that we are invited to. Freedom to grow and present ideas. I like coming to work everyday, we are corporate but not too corporate for shenanigans in the office.

Cons

The studios are open 365 days a year and most of them from 5:30am - 9:30pm, so if you are in a position of a support for the studios, be prepared to check your email on weekends and non-work hours.

SoulCycle is my family.

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people. I work with my best friends. I am excited to come to work every day to hang out with people I love that make me laugh. There is a lot of opportunity to try new ideas, make a difference as we are such a young, growing company. If you are a passionate and dedicated person, you can easily grow into new roles at Soul. Not to mention, wearing sweat pants to work and taking a class mid-day is pretty sweet.

Cons

You must be very flexible with your time as we are in service to the studios. The studios are open 365 days a year, some 5 am to 10 pm.

Keep the awesome culture we started with

SoulCycle Is My Dream Job

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

THE PEOPLE! The people at this company are some of the kindest, most hardworking bunch that I've ever worked amongst. There is very positive morale whether we're going through a high stress situation or not. We work quickly, but within a very supportive environment. Have an idea? It will be heard. Need help? Someone is always available to help brainstorm a process. There is so much passion behind the brand that it's hard not to feel motivated each day.

Cons

Very few. Not at all interested in health and wellness? Might not be the right place for you if SoulCycle as a product doesn't speak to you. If it does, you will find yourself very proud to work for both the brand and the community it represents.

Fast growing, great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SoulCycle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing rapidly, and because it's still a lean operation there is a lot of opportunity to take on more and learn by doing! Everyone here has a strong passion for the brand and a great attitude. A huge perk is that employees take class for free, which creates a really healthy and fun work environment.

Cons

Our studios are open every day of the year, so in support of our studios and staff we are dedicated to checking in and being available every day. While that might seem challenging for some people, it feels natural when you love what you do!

SoulCycle Photos