Sounds True

Updated Feb 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tami Simon

Best Company I have ever worked for....

Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sounds True full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing culture; amazing owner who treats employees how she would like to be treated (literally); people really care about each other. The Company sells products to help people live a more fulfilling life. What could be better! In many ways, I feel that I work for a philanthropic organization, because there is a sense that we are really fundamentally helping people.

ConsPeople do not work as hard as they should. Too many meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a work hard, play hard culture

Nice people, horribly run company

I have been working at Sounds True full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to start a career, you'll have an opportunity to really learn a lot of different things. The people are also quite nice.

ConsYou have a lot of people at the top who think the way to lead is to make a lot of decisions. This results in constant shifts in work and thinking styles, but without anything actually getting done. I've seen even the most simple projects drag on for years and years because nobody can actually affect any real change.

Advice to Senior ManagementA business is more about the systems that make it work and less about being creative.

Good company, as with any job, your manager makes it or breaks it

Web Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at Sounds True full-time for more than 3 years

ProsKind concepts, media creation, quaint, relaxed, good parties, dogs in the workplace

ConsExperience 100% depends on who your manager is, low pay compared to market, dogs in the workplace

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is above advisement there, turnover rate high.

A lot of dysfunction

I have been working at Sounds True full-time

ProsThe Founder and CEO has, through her own personality and knowledge of the "wisdom traditions" space put together an impressive catalog of content. She still interviews most of the authors and the product itself is mostly quality (except for some more fringe authors).

ConsThe management has been very dysfunctional for a number of years. The company has silos and resentment between divisions that causes a lot of problems. Not professionally managed. Strong personalities in the most senior management positions that do not collaborate, creating a difficult culture. Although there are some new hires in management, the same strong personality problems exist. Good and talented people in more of the rank & file jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a COO who has effectively run a company before and KNOWS from experience how to motivate and treat people. Need experienced operations and marketing people at the senior most levels.

Refused To Promote From Within

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sounds True full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLike-minded people. Worthy product. Fairly healthy work atmosphere.

ConsWould not promote from within (i.e., nearly every person in the department I work in tried hard to be promoted, to be a devoted, long-term employee, and was firmly denied the opportunity).

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees who show an avid interest in growing and staying with the company. Walk the talk of the teachings being sold.

Good people, outdated philosophy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sounds True full-time

ProsTight-knit like-minded people
Flexible work schedule
Dogs welcome

ConsSiloed departments
Lower than average pay
Too many decisions based on experimental thinking

Advice to Senior ManagementBring departments together and don't be afraid to eliminate things that aren't working well

Good if not "great" intentions!

I have been working at Sounds True full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work environment, period. There is absolutely zero micro-managing going on, they trust people to do their job (a con too). Very laid-back while producing informative and creative material. You are the ship builder, the captain and the crew,,, meaning if you have a great idea or creative process they will entertain or adopt a new idea. Which provides opportunity to champion your own projects. The work-life balance might involve more life than work. Pet friendly office. Good material and content being delivered to customers.

ConsBeen in business for 25 years with the same nonchalant hippie mentality 'the money will come'. The reality of the publishing world is starting to hurt a multimedia publishing company like Sounds True. A lot of business practices and processes are out of date (by 10+years). The lack of urgency and lack of concern with the financials are troubling. Too much weight is put on Authors needs and not how to drive business and actually make a product successful. Their are way "too many cooks in the kitchen." The whole company is completely SILOED. The over amount of trust management has in employees, which results in people taking advantage of a casual workplace. Zero future strategies developed to increase revenue, strategies consist of a mere knee-jerk reaction. 2+ more senior executives are completely unqualified for their positions. Nepotism lives with us. There are a lot of people set in there ways here, they have worked for us for 12+years,,, they need to progress and update their skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more strict. Develop a plan to re-purpose content, study the market and attract more customers by appealing to a wider & broader audience. Accept publishing is getting killed and move forward with technology. Retrain employees and have managers work in THEIR department,, not having sales managers or web managers weigh-in on every decision being made.

Worked for Sounds True? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sounds True reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sounds True CEO Tami Simon. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Sounds True employees.