Sounds True Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Tami Simon

1. I enjoy going to work every day.

I have been working at Sounds True full-time

Pros

The people are my favorite part of working here. It's a really talented and fun group.
    There is a lot of flexibility offered to employees.
    The dogs are great to have around.
    The full sized kitchen, where people cook and eat together, is great!
    Work-life balance is awesome!

Cons

A couple of years ago, after the economy tanked, it was a little stressful. Some of the leadership felt disconnected from each other and the culture took a bit of a hit. That said, over the last year and a half, there has been a lot of focus put on building a strong culture, strong managers and a strong leadership group. I think those efforts have paid off and will continue to pay off moving forward.

...not what they seem...

I worked at Sounds True full-time

Pros

Founding principle of making personal growth and spirituality accessible to the masses.

Cons

The owner has turned the company over to a narcissist who has no positive leadership skills and zero interest in the mission statement.

3. It's up to YOU

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to be creative and self generate your destiny. No micro managing... It's up to you!

Cons

It's a turbulent time in the physical media business, so there's some stress.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting your teams. They really care.

5. Niche Employer

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is great that they allow dogs at the office and people are very friendly and open

Cons

The management team is working on being more cohesive so that they can act as a team with a cohesive strategy

I want this to be the last company I work at - it's really that awesome!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First off, the Leadership Team and Owner, walk the walk and talk the talk. It's a wonderful environment, lots of thought is put into employee events and most people at the company want to be here. It's their dream job and they love what they do and what the company does and it shows. I love coming into work every day and I've found the job I want to be at for the rest of my working career. I truly feel blessed in my position and with the amazing people I work with and the content that we put out into the world.

Cons

I think Sounds True is coming a long way, they are investing in their building and people and hopefully will continue in all aspects. I think their benefits are pretty good, they are keeping costs down compared to other businesses. They offer incentives when possible based on how well the company is doing. I think some areas to improve upon is salaries in some depts. but I know they are also trying to improve on this when possible.
    They have a generous vacation and personal time, that I personally really value.
    As far as I am concerned, Sounds True really don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep Improving in the building, the employees and the company and keep rocking bringing spirituality and holistic living topics to the world!

7. Nice people, horribly run company

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to start a career, you'll have an opportunity to really learn a lot of different things. The people are also quite nice.

Cons

You have a lot of people at the top who think the way to lead is to make a lot of decisions. This results in constant shifts in work and thinking styles, but without anything actually getting done. I've seen even the most simple projects drag on for years and years because nobody can actually affect any real change.

Advice to Management

A business is more about the systems that make it work and less about being creative.

8. Good company, as with any job, your manager makes it or breaks it

Former Employee - Web Programmer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Web Programmer in Louisville, CO

I worked at Sounds True full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kind concepts, media creation, quaint, relaxed, good parties, dogs in the workplace

Cons

Experience 100% depends on who your manager is, low pay compared to market, dogs in the workplace

Advice to Management

Management is above advisement there, turnover rate high.

9. A lot of dysfunction

I have been working at Sounds True full-time

Pros

The Founder and CEO has, through her own personality and knowledge of the "wisdom traditions" space put together an impressive catalog of content. She still interviews most of the authors and the product itself is mostly quality (except for some more fringe authors).

Cons

The management has been very dysfunctional for a number of years. The company has silos and resentment between divisions that causes a lot of problems. Not professionally managed. Strong personalities in the most senior management positions that do not collaborate, creating a difficult culture. Although there are some new hires in management, the same strong personality problems exist. Good and talented people in more of the rank & file jobs.

Advice to Management

Get a COO who has effectively run a company before and KNOWS from experience how to motivate and treat people. Need experienced operations and marketing people at the senior most levels.

Best Company I have ever worked for....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sounds True full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture; amazing owner who treats employees how she would like to be treated (literally); people really care about each other. The Company sells products to help people live a more fulfilling life. What could be better! In many ways, I feel that I work for a philanthropic organization, because there is a sense that we are really fundamentally helping people.

Cons

People do not work as hard as they should. Too many meetings.

Advice to Management

Create a work hard, play hard culture

Refused To Promote From Within

I worked at Sounds True full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like-minded people. Worthy product. Fairly healthy work atmosphere.

Cons

Would not promote from within (i.e., nearly every person in the department I work in tried hard to be promoted, to be a devoted, long-term employee, and was firmly denied the opportunity).

Advice to Management

Value employees who show an avid interest in growing and staying with the company. Walk the talk of the teachings being sold.

RSS Feed </> Embed