SourceMedia Reviews

Douglas J. Manoni

1. overall company experience

Former Employee - Advertising Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales in New York, NY

I worked at SourceMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

big company, big resources, traditional publishing house but great people that are dedicated

Cons

larger companies generally tend to have a pit where one can fall into as it is so big, and this is a vey traditional group

Advice to Management

try to expand out of the singular vertical one is charged with; finding places to source help and or revenue lines that aren't traditional

2. SourceMedia -- editorial -- lack of resources and vision

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at SourceMedia

Pros

I was able to achieve a great work-life balance. The hours were reasonable compared to a lot of journalism jobs.

Cons

The PE firm that owned the company did not invest much in it. Lack of resources always seemed to be an issue, as did lack of vision from the editorial department leadership. Because of this, the company always seems to lag the rest of the industry. A lot of turnover too--people usually leave for more prestigious places.

3. new ownership

Current Employee - Staff Reporter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Reporter in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance, average salary compensation, somewhat hands off management, company is trying to expand into new areas and new business lines. new ownership as of Fall 2014 could be a good thing

Cons

salary freeze for virtually all employees for the past four years and no indications that will change any time soon. health care benefits are probably below-average compared to the rest of the industry. not very much in the way of career development

5. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work atmosphere. Management promotes health and wellness, by hosting monthly seminars, walking club etc. where employees receive perks for participating.

Cons

Currently there's not much room for growth. There are no raises, no 401K match and a high deductible medical plan. Except for conferences business is on the decline.

Advice to Management

Management should implement strategies to retain "good" employee. Lately, turnover has been high.

6. Happy to be at SourceMedia

Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been here for a few months and really enjoy working here. There is good work/life balance, good office culture & nice people. I report to someone who is very down to earth and an overall nice, sincere person. There seems to be many negative comments. I think you have to experience the company for yourself. There are 2 sides to every story, mine has been going well and I really enjoy working with the people here. Every company has pros and cons no matter where you go. You play a role in your outcome and experience at a company. Yes there are times where you just may not agree with a company's values and culture, but overall I feel that this company does try and consider employee feedback.

Cons

So far I have no cons about the company or my position.

7. Stay Far, Far Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SourceMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, provided a step-up for me.

Cons

As others have mentioned, terrible insurance, no room for growth, no reviews or raises/bonuses, and horrible management. So many bad hires at management level and letting go of the wrong people. So sad, anyone that was really making any change happened to get cut.

The company is a dinosaur, no women in management levels, HR blantantly lies to people (told my old coworker before she took the job that "of course there were raises". What BS!). I had a good experience there for 2 years, but stay away, it's not worth it!

No activities or group bonding, nothing is consistent. Had one Christmas party, then nothing again.

Advice to Management

Stop making bad hires! Sadly, I think it's a sinking ship and nothing's going to save it.

8. Mixed Review

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brands such as The Bond Buyer, American Banker, Accounting Today are strong and well known within the industry. Great location with spectacular views.

Cons

It's a very difficult market and many of the businesses (not all) are struggling. Overall benefits package is minimal at best causing very high turnover.

Advice to Management

recommend a company event or two each year to increase employee camaraderie & morale as it has been very low for many years. Add back 401K match or salary increases to keep some of the employees from leaving to competitors.

9. Sinking Ship- Stay FAR Away

Current Employee - Ad Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Ad Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated employees. Nice office location. Great People. Many challenges and room for growth.

Cons

Management does not know Digital. Wrong people hired from the outside yet the ones who can do the job are right under their noses. No raises. No bonus. Insurance is terrible

Advice to Management

Hire people who know how to do the work, not people who SOUND like they know how to do the work.
    Don't hire people who LOOK like they know how to get the job done, hire people who CAN get the job done.

10. Stay away Stay far far away

Former Employee - Senior Helpdesk Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Helpdesk Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at SourceMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do have a nice view Other review refer to this company as the titanic. The titanic went down in a few hours this company is more like ALS and it's been slowly dying for a long long time.

Cons

Company has been under a salary freeze since 2009. I work here for over three years and in that time I was not reviewed once, despite a formal complaint to HR. HR didn't even formally acknowledge the complaint. The parent company invest corp is trying to squeeze every penny it can to make this place more sell-able. The employees pay the price for this in the long run as. Managers do not acknowledge employees that over achieve or do try to better their positions in the company. Eventually after Three hard years the only way to keep up with increased cost of living was for me to find a new job. I originally left because when my managers spot opened up they brought in someone from another department with no technical knowledge at all to oversee us. I found a new job, they didn't make an offer to keep me and just before I left my manger also gave two weeks notice. In my opinion the company literally uses it's employees. They prep you for advancement and encourage you to work harder for that step up but never give it to you. I've know about this company for about three years now and in that time my department and completely turned over twice. That is an absurd attrition rate. In any other firm this would reflect negatively on the departments manager but not here. I spent a good deal of my time here doing telecom a role I was not hired nor paid for in a vain attempt to display I was capable of more then I was hired for.

Advice to Management

Leave, you are doing it wrong the whole lot of you SM is a sick revolving door of employees. You consider anyone below a SR manager expendable. You seriously would not care of the entire department quit and had to replace everyone with temps. There was a few months that I was there that the team of six I joined was reduced to myself and a couple of temps because everyone jumped ship and moved on.

11. Great environment

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at SourceMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the people, environment, hustle and bustle of job, job stability

Cons

Growth = high stress, no work/life balance, low pay when compared to competition.

Advice to Management

concentrate more on work/life balance.

SourceMedia Photos