SourceMedia

Douglas J. Manoni

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great environment

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLove the people, environment, hustle and bustle of job, job stability

ConsGrowth = high stress, no work/life balance, low pay when compared to competition.

Advice to Senior Managementconcentrate more on work/life balance.

Don't expect anything

Sales Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you're going to work at SourceMedia, make sure you find a job in the Conferences Department. They are the bread winners of the company and seem to get away with everything.

ConsCrappy benefits and no perks. There aren't even paper cups in the cafeteria.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the benefits.

Place to avoid unless you have absolutely no other option

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice view from the kitchen

Cons- Nepotism in practice
    - High level of disrespect to employees, even among certain co-workers
    - Lack of coordination between teams/departments
    - Silent aggression at the workplace (probably from unhappy employees with no way to vent)
    - Middle management is incompetent, most of the time they don't manage but just go through the motions
    - Upper management lives in their own bubbles
    - Out of touch with current technologies and industry practice but resisting to catch up

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your own comfort zone, and give more respect to people working for you and your company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Getting there

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsStarting to step up to the whole print -> digital transition thing with real force from the top down... none too soon. Some biz units have great autonomy, others less so. Office itself is aging inside, but the view really is spectacular - Statue of Liberty right out the window? Not too shabby. Good work/life balance for basically all groups.

ConsTruly awful benefits package, zero promotions from within, and no raises for anyone as long as I've been here. Unless you are in sales, zero bonuses, either. Not a great place as far as training. Mgmt a little scattered as far as prioritizing things - some of the time, something that is back-burnered for months will suddenly be a gigantic crash-priority, drop-everything alarm for unclear reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing Digital. You know that print as a medium is toast, and you can see the revenue growth from the online properties. Just keep forcing that transition.

Great People, Views and Work LIfe Balance....But might not be around much longer.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat work/Life balance. Beautiful views of the Hudson River/Statue of Liberty. Easy going environment, casual dress code.

ConsSinking ship, no 401k matching or annual raises. No performance based raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's not much they can do at this point, print is dying and they are slow to get into the digital world. Its like telling the band to keep playing as the Titanic was going down.

The WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR!!

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEmployees are generally friendly but not a company to work for.

ConsManagement is terrible. They receive all the benefits and is very clear to everyone in the company. Upper managment can go on "company trips" which is just a vacation. They receive many perks such as bonuses and big salary increases. HR should not even exist in this company. There is no good culture in this company. If there is a culture they should call it, "survival of the fittest". While they don't provide performance raises to everyone else but they do provide extra to all of their managers. The worst possible company I good have ever worked for. DON'T GO THERE. You'll be better finding an other company that values your skills and has a better manager/employee environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees respectfully. There is no respect from upper manager to employees. They are highly treated unfairly. There is no HR support for employees. If your friends with someone on top you can get somewhere. However, if you come in through the front door as a regular employee your so screwed. NO matching 401k, no decent benefits. Basically, employees don't receive anything unless your in upper mgmt. This company is "the have and the have nots."

If you like mediocre

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLaid back for the most-part. Convenient to get to location from subway. Stunning views of the river and surrounding areas.

ConsCliquish co-workers. Still want to do things the old way. You feel like you can't interact with upper management. Cheap lunchroom with powdered creamer and Lipton tea. Open air cubicles, lots of noise from other workers without any buffer. Looks very old on the inside.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe friendlier, get to know people's names. Get rid of those open air cubicles, I felt like I was in a classroom, not an office.

It's ok if you are just a freelancer there

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people on lower levels (not top management), no long hours. If you are a freelancer, your rate will be pretty decent for the work that you do.

ConsA lot of people are being let go, so they don't have to pay extra and give extra vacation days for years that they worked in the company. They will hire new one just to let them go in a few years. In order to stay there longer, you have to be "protected" by your boss. Not much room to grow, also work is very repetitive. Top management is very cheap. I've never seen instant creamers as a substitute for real creamers in a company kitchen.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more loyal to people, don't let people go only to save a few grand a year.

A place to coast and do the minimum

Technology (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork-life balance is good because you rarely have to work later than 5 or in the weekends. Coworkers are mostly friendly. There is coffee in the kitchen and occasional snacks. The company tries to keep employees healthy by sponsoring health related activities. They pay part of your gym membership

ConsLack of challenge, lack of growth opportunities, disinterested management

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to motivate your employees. Be less hierarchical.

Great people but deterioating business

Ad Sales Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople, freedom, chance to make decent money in sales

ConsBiz is failing, bloated and eventually have to decide on strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of print and use resources to be the best online

Worked for SourceMedia? Contribute to the Community!