SourceMedia

Mixed Review

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brands such as The Bond Buyer, American Banker, Accounting Today are strong and well known within the industry. Great location with spectacular views.

Cons

It's a very difficult market and many of the businesses (not all) are struggling. Overall benefits package is minimal at best causing very high turnover.

recommend a company event or two each year to increase employee camaraderie & morale as it has been very low for many years. Add back 401K match or salary increases to keep some of the employees from leaving to competitors.

Sinking Ship- Stay FAR Away

Current Employee - Ad Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Ad Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dedicated employees. Nice office location. Great People. Many challenges and room for growth.

Cons

Management does not know Digital. Wrong people hired from the outside yet the ones who can do the job are right under their noses. No raises. No bonus. Insurance is terrible

Hire people who know how to do the work, not people who SOUND like they know how to do the work.
    Don't hire people who LOOK like they know how to get the job done, hire people who CAN get the job done.

Don't expect anything

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you're going to work at SourceMedia, make sure you find a job in the Conferences Department. They are the bread winners of the company and seem to get away with everything.

Cons

Crappy benefits and no perks. There aren't even paper cups in the cafeteria.

Change the benefits.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at SourceMedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the people, environment, hustle and bustle of job, job stability

Cons

Growth = high stress, no work/life balance, low pay when compared to competition.

concentrate more on work/life balance.

Stay away Stay far far away

Former Employee - Senior Helpdesk Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Helpdesk Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at SourceMedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They do have a nice view Other review refer to this company as the titanic. The titanic went down in a few hours this company is more like ALS and it's been slowly dying for a long long time.

Cons

Company has been under a salary freeze since 2009. I work here for over three years and in that time I was not reviewed once, despite a formal complaint to HR. HR didn't even formally acknowledge the complaint. The parent company invest corp is trying to squeeze every penny it can to make this place more sell-able. The employees pay the price for this in the long run as. Managers do not acknowledge employees that over achieve or do try to better their positions in the company. Eventually after Three hard years the only way to keep up with increased cost of living was for me to find a new job. I originally left because when my managers spot opened up they brought in someone from another department with no technical knowledge at all to oversee us. I found a new job, they didn't make an offer to keep me and just before I left my manger also gave two weeks notice. In my opinion the company literally uses it's employees. They prep you for advancement and encourage you to work harder for that step up but never give it to you. I've know about this company for about three years now and in that time my department and completely turned over twice. That is an absurd attrition rate. In any other firm this would reflect negatively on the departments manager but not here. I spent a good deal of my time here doing telecom a role I was not hired nor paid for in a vain attempt to display I was capable of more then I was hired for.

Leave, you are doing it wrong the whole lot of you SM is a sick revolving door of employees. You consider anyone below a SR manager expendable. You seriously would not care of the entire department quit and had to replace everyone with temps. There was a few months that I was there that the team of six I joined was reduced to myself and a couple of temps because everyone jumped ship and moved on.

Good place to go while looking for your next step...

Former Employee - Ad Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ad Sales in New York, NY

I worked at SourceMedia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice view from the kitchen...

Cons

This place is a sinking ship. Old values, old office space, old building, old business. The office is actually depressing. Think Office Space the movie. Everyone just comes in and sits at their desk and zones out for 8 hours and then goes home...SM is in an old business that is ripe for transformation, but other companies changing faster will eat their lunch in the next 12-24 months. I'd be surprised if there isn't a major reduction in staff here or they just go away all together. Some more forward thinking media company will buy the good assets here and dump the rest. They will tell you they are making a digital transformation, but they still push print first to all of their clients...Management is good a high level dreaming but no one at this place knows how to actually make a plan and execute. THE WORSE benefits package I have ever seen in my life. You might as well have no health insurance with the package that they have. What company that's not a startup doesn't have 401k matching??

If you enjoy useless meetings and reply to all email you'll love it at SM...If you want to work for an innovative company that is going somewhere then you probably won't like it at SM.

Scrap the aging workforce and get some new blood in this place FAST...

Place to avoid unless you have absolutely no other option

I worked at SourceMedia

Pros

Nice view from the kitchen

Cons

- Nepotism in practice
    - High level of disrespect to employees, even among certain co-workers
    - Lack of coordination between teams/departments
    - Silent aggression at the workplace (probably from unhappy employees with no way to vent)
    - Middle management is incompetent, most of the time they don't manage but just go through the motions
    - Upper management lives in their own bubbles
    - Out of touch with current technologies and industry practice but resisting to catch up

Get out of your own comfort zone, and give more respect to people working for you and your company.

Getting there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SourceMedia

Pros

Starting to step up to the whole print -> digital transition thing with real force from the top down... none too soon. Some biz units have great autonomy, others less so. Office itself is aging inside, but the view really is spectacular - Statue of Liberty right out the window? Not too shabby. Good work/life balance for basically all groups.

Cons

Truly awful benefits package, zero promotions from within, and no raises for anyone as long as I've been here. Unless you are in sales, zero bonuses, either. Not a great place as far as training. Mgmt a little scattered as far as prioritizing things - some of the time, something that is back-burnered for months will suddenly be a gigantic crash-priority, drop-everything alarm for unclear reasons.

Keep pushing Digital. You know that print as a medium is toast, and you can see the revenue growth from the online properties. Just keep forcing that transition.

Great People, Views and Work LIfe Balance....But might not be around much longer.

I worked at SourceMedia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great work/Life balance. Beautiful views of the Hudson River/Statue of Liberty. Easy going environment, casual dress code.

Cons

Sinking ship, no 401k matching or annual raises. No performance based raises.

There's not much they can do at this point, print is dying and they are slow to get into the digital world. Its like telling the band to keep playing as the Titanic was going down.

If you like mediocre

I worked at SourceMedia full-time

Pros

Laid back for the most-part. Convenient to get to location from subway. Stunning views of the river and surrounding areas.

Cons

Cliquish co-workers. Still want to do things the old way. You feel like you can't interact with upper management. Cheap lunchroom with powdered creamer and Lipton tea. Open air cubicles, lots of noise from other workers without any buffer. Looks very old on the inside.

Be friendlier, get to know people's names. Get rid of those open air cubicles, I felt like I was in a classroom, not an office.

Worked for SourceMedia? Contribute to the Community!