Sourcebooks

Great!

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Sourcebooks

Pros

Loved the people, loved the job. Treated with respect and given a lot to do, but nothing that can't be handled. Best internship I've had. Also paid!

Cons

Not much structure - a little disorganized. Meetings with the other main office were tricky and there were a lot of tech issues.

I worked for this company a short time.

I worked at Sourcebooks

Pros

I received a decent experience to put on my resume.

Cons

I felt the office was very small minded and if you didn't fit in, management dismissed you

E commerce

I worked at Sourcebooks

Pros

Very quiet, seems pretty clean, colorful, plenty of candy at reception. Receptionist is the only happy person

Cons

They get you with a promise but then treat you like a stepchild when you cross over. When you ask questions it's almost like you bothering them from the manger down. If your not in there circle you are to be seen and not heard.

Learn how to create an atmosphere that is welcoming to people. Teach employees manners, teach people that every job shouldn't have a clique, don't hire for one thing and tell them something else when they get their and learn how. To communicate other than email

Pay is small

I worked at Sourcebooks

Pros

Good place to start out

Cons

Salary is minimal
    little given back to employees

Give more back to your employees

Overall Toxic Work Environment

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time

Pros

Many opportunities to get your hands on new projects/grow your resume.

Cons

I recently read an article titled "12 Signs You are Working in a Toxic Office" (by Miriam Salpeter). My former colleagues and I were so stunned by number of boxes that Sourcebooks can check off this list, that I felt compelled to post it here. I hope outsiders and Sourcebooks Management alike will read the following list carefully.

Here are some of the signs you work in an office with a poor work culture, as stated in the article, that truly apply to Sourcebooks.

1. Your boss is a recognized bully. (Sourcebooks' CEO has been known to humiliate and berate her employees, often publicly.)
    2. It's not unusual for co-workers or your boss to take credit for your work. (This happened on numerous occasions across the company throughout the duration of employment at Sourcebooks).
    3. The boss is ineffective or absentee.
    4. Poor performers never seem to lose their jobs, while strong workers are fired. (The turnover rate at Sourcebooks is unprecedented. Every year, many good workers fear for their jobs while poor performers continue to coast by on the efforts of others).
    5. Everyone operates under different rules. (This is particularly true for managements' "pets." Office policy does not apply to all.)
    6. There is a lack of formal training plans or programs. (For every Sourcebooks employee, the first few weeks is utter chaos. You are thrown into the fire with little training. This causes quite a bit of "brain drain," meaning every time someone quits (which is often), critical information/processes are lost and have to be started from scratch.)
    7. People are promoted in random, seemingly illogical ways. (In many cases, promotions mean nothing. There is no "ladder" to be climbed at Sourcebooks. Your responsibilities do not grow to match your forward progress.)
    8. Supervisors don't communicate expectations well. (Not only do they not communicate expectations, but they also don't have solidified expectations to communicate. The company/CEO is constantly dropping projects on a whim, wasting countless hours of employees' time.)

Shocked at how poorly this company is managed

Former Employee - ECommerce Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - ECommerce Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sourcebooks full-time

Pros

The position seemed promising when I got hired. The IT and Customer Service teams were nice and great to work with.

Cons

Cons? So many things! I was hired as a manager in their "growing eCommerce department". The interview process - though a bit more grueling than I think was necessary - gave me the impression this was exactly the position and company I was looking for. Unfortunately, as soon as I started there, things quickly turned for the worst and the truth about this place became apparent.

I am fairly confident in my experience and abilities within my expertise. But I also know that every place is run differently, and each place has some kind of learning curve. When I start as an employee somewhere, I expect some kind of support system to help people get on their feet - whether that be tools, help, resources, whatever - some kind of foundation that I can then build off of and run with. Unfortunately Sourcebooks provided none of this. I was put in an office away from the rest of the team, and completely abandoned.

Every time I asked for help or even clarification, I was told to "figure it out", and every idea I came up with, I was told "no" or "this is wrong" with no feedback whatsoever. There was no real direction, no guidance, nothing. I was left confused and frustrated, trying to read my supervisor's mind to no avail.

To make matters worse - none of the other employees in my department had any kind of relevant experience related to eCommerce. They had someone with a writing degree who had never used Photoshop editing images, a person with a cinematography degree creating emails, and my supervisor who was director-level had a background in the catalog business. Yet my extensive experience in eCommerce was ignored with the many ideas I tried to bring forth.

I believe the organization struggles from the top down. The company's founder & CEO is a very passionate person. Unfortunately, she is also a very emotional person who makes rash decisions based on those emotions. She, along with other members of upper management, make a lot of decisions based on "gut feeling" instead of hard data. And when it came down to it, the place was in pieces when I started. They have some interesting ideas, but will struggle to get there if they don't clean up the way the business is managed.

Another shocking thing to note is that after my time with Sourcebooks, while I was on the job hunt, I came across a recruiter who reached out to me about an opportunity which happened to be the exact position I had already been in. When I shared my story with her, I couldn't believe my ears when she said she has come across a number of other people who have had similar experiences to me there. How horrible that Sourcebooks has such a negative reputation even with the person who's trying to help them!

Well, you've been warned. If you take a job here - good luck!

Change up your management style, get people who know what they are doing, and start making rational decisions. You really need to get the basics down before you can hope to grow your business!

Very dishonest company and extremely poor communication skills

Former Employee - Mobility Contractor
    Former Employee - Mobility Contractor

I worked at Sourcebooks as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They have some good authors and people in the company that are very qualified and are able to build relationships. Unfortunately, the leadership team is the challenge and they are purchasing companies without taking the time to unite the corporate cultures and stand by their original promises.

Cons

It is run by a group of women that do not keep their word. They are dishonest to contractors, and they don't pay their bills.

Learn how to build better relationships and read the book - The Speed of Trust. Stand by your word. Return phone calls and limit the use of email. Build Communication skills.

Absolutely amazing! Love it here!

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CEO is very down to earth. She pulls the company together, keeps everyone updated on the business and new initiatives, takes the time to say hi and is often seen around the office, very approachable. Management looks out for those who really prove themselves and encourage advancement, encourage personal growth. There are constantly new things coming along in which to get involved. Coworkers are among the best in their fields, and everyone pulls together to get results. It is such a pleasure working here. I made no mistake coming here! Absolutely my dream workplace. Casual attire. Social atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes employees may feel overburdened with a lot of work, but this is a growing company. As we grow, there is more work...and managers will recognize the need for more help and bring in interns, temps, and hire new employees as the needs arise. You just have to dig in, show your dedication, and tell your manager honestly if you're overwhelmed.

Keep up acknowledging employees for their victories, no matter how small. The recent adjustment of monthly meetings to highlight individual and team breakthroughs has offered employees more opportunity to take ownership of their work and their contributions to the company. The goal for every employee to take a leadership role is fantastic and makes everyone feel like they can speak up and share ideas.

Very rewarding, engaging career. The very best job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Creative Services Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Creative Services Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-CEO is actively involved
    -Everyone works toward the same goal
    -No inner-office drama
    -Very creative atmosphere
    -Every day is different and exciting
    -Management listens
    -A traditional publishing company that is not afraid to embrace modern technology
    -Opportunity for growth

Cons

-Location is a challenge during the evening commute

None that I could give that they are not already doing. Keep up the good work!

Wish I would've never gotten my 'dream job'

I worked at Sourcebooks

Pros

Fun, young co-workers.
    Lots of cheap books.
    Occasional parties.
    Suburb location.
    A company that encourages creativity.

Cons

Exhausting work assigned that is not doable in the given time.
    Very little pay.
    You cannot trust anyone, not even management.
    Major turnover rate (about 50% in 2012... in a company of about 80... that is huge)

Major changes are needed. I don't see this company going very far with the way it currently treats its employees. The whole '3-4 year burn out' is ridiculous. I'm glad you've figured out you can hire young, pay poorly, and replace them after they've worked like slaves for you... But that won't get you very far. There is so much manipulation and talking behind everyone's backs - it is like a company made up of junior-high management.