Sourcefire

Updated Mar 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Becker

Great company - I'm going to miss working there!

I have been working at Sourcefire full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI truly enjoyed my time at Sourcefire - I met some really nice, really talented people. The work was always challenging with interesting problems to solve. We all pulled together as a team in the best and worst of times. It's the best place I've ever had the pleasure of working!

ConsWe always had to do more with little, but that's not really a con. It made everyone stretch their imaginations and be innovated about how they got their jobs done. I will really miss working there, and I hope that Cisco is as much fun in the future!

Great Team

I have been working at Sourcefire full-time for more than a year

ProsI have been very pleased with the culture, salary, fringe benefits, opportunity, and bonuses that Sourcefire has presented. The company is creative, values its talent, and has a progressive outlook. My department is a great group of people to work with.

We are newly acquired by Cisco, which may fall in either the pros or cons or both. That remains to be seen.

ConsBenefits could be improved like 401k matching.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope you still have a spot when we merge with Cisco.

One of the best companies I ever worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sourcefire full-time for more than a year

ProsSourcefire hires incredibly talented, smart engineers. Almost everyone I met was extremely friendly and personable. Worked there was a huge stepping stone in my career as I got to work with the best.

ConsThe office buildings were easy to get lost in (cubicle maze).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Company

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sourcefire full-time for more than a year

ProsDefinitely a company that values the experience their employes bring to the company! Top notch technology, sales and marketing staff to work with.

ConsNo negative comments or con's about working for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Well...That Was A Unique Experience

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsFree Lunch.
Free Drinks.
Beefy Desktop that you can use to load whatever OS on their that you wish.
Macbook Pro. Take it as is, can't change the OS.
Very flexible with life outside of work.
On-call is very infrequent.

ConsManagement can be very intrusive and not very understanding of situations, whether it be with customers or internal issues.
If you nip it in the bud early that you aren't going to take any crap, then you will have no problems.
Oh, and there really isn't any room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn when to pick your battles, not everything is worth bringing to the table.

Generous, Supportive

I have been working at Sourcefire full-time for more than a year

ProsI have not had any experiences like the those noted in the review from January 30. In fact, we just got back from a company-wide meeting and feel quite the opposite, strongly enough to add this review. My managers listen and empower teams to great things. What's more, personally, I have never seen anything inappropriate that deviates from company values or needed to be concealed or covered up. Hopefully, few others have either. And for the record HR, has always been fine to work with.

Let me finish by saying that many of us are approached by head-hunters often, yet are very happy here and plan to stick around for a good while. And I am very confident that nearly everybody at Sourcefire agrees.

ConsThe cons I have seen tend to fall into the trivial category -- they are present for sure, no workplace is without them, but they aren't really an issues given the pros that far, far outweigh them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on security - which we have been doing - to ensure we always remain focused on keeping threats at bay.

Great Company, lack of opportunity for growth

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Sourcefire full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery easy going culture, young professionals who are driven by success.

ConsNo funding for back office operations

Political, dictatorship

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sourcefire full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Pay, benefits, advancement, free lunch, creative, and casual work environment

ConsInappropriate behaviors by directors and managers, coverup problems, HR is awful to deal with, a lot of loops in the business

Advice to Senior Managementpractice what you preach. Do not follow their values and mission. Change your leadership

AWESOME Company!!

I have been working at Sourcefire full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIndustry leader (Gartner Magic Quadrant) in a super hot market!
- Super bright people
- Corporate Culture
- Flexible hours
- Free lunch delivered to offices everyday
- Competitive Benefits
- Industry leader
- Excellent Management Team
- Pig (Snort) Mascot ;-)

ConsHonestly can't think of any. Perhaps certain departments could be staffed more, but we're a rapidly growing company where folks need to wear multiple hats at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what ya been doing!! Q1 2012 saw revenues up 50% over same period the year prior. Q2 2012 (just announced yesterday) saw a 39% increase in Revenue. Awesome management team.

Extremely Hectic

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
Columbia, MD

I have been working at Sourcefire

ProsThere are few more well-known places you could work than the creators of snort, the open-source IDS/IPS software.

Sourcefire is an extremely laid back company, especially if you're not customer-facing. You can come in totally casual attire, your cube mates are friendly, knowledgeable and more than willing to help you out if you want/need help in resolving a problem.

The team leads will back you, so long as you perform due diligence and try to keep your customers happy. They'll help you or be sure to back you when they see the customer is doing something stupid with their hard/software that they shouldn't.

Certification reimbursement is available, not a requirement to achieve certs (aside from SFCP - Sourcefire's cert)

Free drinks (soda, etc.) and free lunches.

You get a small amount of company stock when you sign on, but depending on how Burris feels on a given day or whether or not a stock analyst farts, the stock can bounce up or down like a jack Russel terrier one day to the next.

Depending on your OS views you may like or abhor the fact that you get a company-issued Macbook Pro in support. They don't like it when you install other operating systems on your laptop, but will give you vmware fusion to run other operating systems side-by-side.

They also issue you a fairly nice workstations for setting up a virtualized test environment. Generally speaking, so long as you can do whats required of you, they don't care what you run on it. That may or may not change down the line.

You're provided with VPN access, however WFH is not generally allowed unless you cannot make it in -- snowed in, car broke down, etc.

Your fellow support technicians are VERY VERY smart. If you don't know how to do something work related or somewhat work related, talk to your co-workers, they're brilliant and willing to help.

Though tech support sucks, If you can suck it up and prove you have what it takes, there is opportunity to advance. You have to be willing to stick it out in support for about two years at the very least and be very good at doing your job, however. Keep your head down, do your job, and so long as you keep getting good reviews, you can and will advance.

ConsThe managers will flip-flop depending on whether the customer got angry enough to cry to their salesdroid or not. Sales drives the company, so be prepared to bend over backward for the sales guys, even if something is not supported -- "no way, no how, ain't gonna happen" has a way of changing when there are million dollar deals on the table with very whiny clients, especially if its the difference of the salesdroid being able to pick up a shiny new toy with their commission or not.

Be prepared to be the red-headed stepchild of the organization. the rest of the organization will never recognize you. I attended the last Sales Kickoff, It was like watching the State of the Union Address, back patting all-around, yet support is never invited or congratulated for the outstanding work put in. This means the customers yell at you and everyone else in the organization will dump on you as well and fail to recognize you for it a vast majority of the time.

Be prepared for clients who don't have the time or patience to read the very detailed manuals we have, and want you to fix their deployment problems for them immediately. Technically speaking they're entitled to this support. You're gonna have to deal.

Be prepared for clients who don't understand how IDS/IPS rules work and where to place sensors on their network. Depending on how you approach this, you'll have to educate them or try to push them to our services/education department.

Be prepared for customers who use their IDS/IPS as a firewall with really, really bad firewall-like rules with no content match strings or port numbers defined. We just launched an NGFW product, point them to that

Be prepared for customers who don't want to learn and just want it to work, now. Impatience and ignorance is going to be your order of the day, and since the salesdroid sell the product it as self-tuning and automatic, your customers are gonna be angry when they realize they have to watch their deployments every so often.

Be prepared for extremely buggy releases that are going to have to be hotfixed and/or patched frequently. Your customers will take that frustration out on you. All you can do is find a way to deal with it.

If its a current client and they're experiencing problems and they feel you're not moving fast enough be aware you will have management visibility, salesdroid visibility and all eyes will be upon you, that is, if the case hasn't been re-assigned to tier II (happens if the customer is angry enough). Not only will you get it from the customer, you'll also get it from said salesdroid and said managers as well.

If you're being interviewed, do research of the company, research cost of living in the area, and research the average salary for the area for SOC/ technical support. If you let them, they will screw you in pay if you low-ball yourself and it will be extremely hard to get that money back, even if you're a good performer and you earn your pay raises.

Avoid taking an internship position here unless you are living at home or have an alternate means for money because the interns are paid crap and that probably isn't going to change soon. It's an excellent foot in the door, however if you're still going/paying for school, likely you won't be able to keep it up for long. Use the position to network with professionals in the area.

Sometimes they will allow you some money for relocation fees. Be wary about taking this money. Its seen as a "signing bonus" and that obligates you to fulfill at least one year of employment with the company or you have to pay it all back.

As a support technician you will be under a lot of pressure after the initial spin-up/training phase. Afterwards you are going to be under pressure constantly. Constantly on the phone, constantly taking tickets, constant work. If you want to take your hour lunch you are entitled to, LEAVE YOUR DESK. Otherwise you will be eating lunch while you work.

Be very careful about the free food/drink. All that free food and free beverage can really really destroy your health if you let it. Be ready to gain a freshmen 15-20 if you're not careful here.

You will be a part of a rotating weekend/holiday on-call schedule in support. Primary one weekend, secondary another. You get compensation for on-call pay only when you're the primary, and it isn't very good.

If you choose to work a holiday you are given the choice to receive additional pay or a make-up PTO day that can be used at a later date, but must be used by the end of the year. Take the PTO, the extra pay will be taxed mercilessly.

Be sure to plan your vacations out, especially for the holidays (read Christmas, thanksgiving, Christmas/new years week ) FAR, FAR in advance if you want a chance in getting that time off approved.

Be very wary about being late. Sometimes management understands the beltway sucks and traffic can be hell during rush hour, then there are other times where if you're a minute late, they freak out.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport Team management, most of the time you're doing okay. When big trouble tickets come up, you need to back your engineers though, no one else in the organization will.

To those above the Support Team in management, you need to recognize the support team the maintenance team and the VRT more often. Without Dev, you have no software, without VRT, you have no rules, and without support, you sure as heck aren't going to be able to resolve customer problems as they pop up, yet none of these groups are sufficiently recognized nor rewarded in the organization. It truly is pathetic.

To Mr. Burris, you're theme of "Sell it All" is terrible. There is a reason I'm not a salesdroid, your salesdroids , who have incentive to know the product, sell it well and sell it all need to be doing their job, not the rest of the organization.

Worked for Sourcefire? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sourcefire reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sourcefire CEO John Becker. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Sourcefire employees.