South Bay Mental Health Center

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
2.1

Peter Scanlon, Ph.D.

Pros
  • Great experience working with a variety of populations, great co-workers, well-intentioned supervisors (in 3 reviews)

• Good experience working with challenging clients and diverse caseload (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If you get no-shows, you'll be asked why you didn't call another client up (last minute) to fill that slot (in 11 reviews)

• Fee for service clinicians are treated like crap, to put it bluntly (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start

I have been working at South Bay Mental Health Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Clinical supervision, billing support, and flexible hours

Cons

very low pay, only paid for face-to-face client time, no milage reimbursement

People leave a lot, the pay is just too terrible for a job where one has to use their own vehicle and resources to conduct outreach therapy in very poor neighborhoods and very dirty homes.

Mental health therapist

Current Employee - Staff Therapist/Mental Health Counselor
    Current Employee - Staff Therapist/Mental Health Counselor

I have been working at South Bay Mental Health Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pro is if you just graduated and need some experience, you get a lot with a variety of different clients.

Cons

The average therapist works here one year. Just long enough for the client's to get attached and then you leave. These are people that have had a lot of loss in their lives so you are doing it to them yet again. The pay is horrible and they they bill the insurance 4 times as much as they pay a therapist. No mileage, no pay for paper work and if your client doesn't show up---no pay. They gave us a certificate for Christmas stating that they made a donation to a lama in a 3rd world country on your behalf. Then they can turn around and write it off on their taxes. Horrible place to work. I have worked at a lot of places in the social service field and this is the worse.

Stop thinking about PROFIT and consider your staff and clients. Not sure how you can sleep at night with the way you do business.

A place to work until you find something better

I have been working at South Bay Mental Health Center

Pros

I love my coworkers! They are the nicest, most dedicated bunch of people I could hope to work with. I like the supervisory staff. I've worked with lots of different kinds of clients, and had good clinical supervision.

Cons

You won't make much money. No holidays. No sick days. No compensation for state of emergency snow days. No no-show fee when clients don't show up. Minimal additional compensation for licensure. No mileage reimbursement. No supplies reimbursement. A salary model that is just disguised fee-for-service. Your overall hourly rate will be around $10 and hour, figuring in paperwork, no-shows, mandatory unpaid staff meetings. The company seems to breed depression, anxiety and a variety of long terms physical illnesses for its employees. No interest in client care or clinician care, just profit.

Undervalued and Underpaid

Former Employee - Group Facilitator in Plymouth, MA
    Former Employee - Group Facilitator in Plymouth, MA

I worked at South Bay Mental Health Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience, supportive coworkers

Cons

Pay, management, all about making money not good client care

Pay your employees fair wages and respect their hard work!

Great for experience, terrible for supervision, respect, and pay

Former Employee - Staff Therapist, Mentor in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Therapist, Mentor in Lowell, MA

I worked at South Bay Mental Health Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience - able to work with families, the elderly, children, adults, and adolescents in school, office, and home environments with mental health issues ranging from adjustment disorders, substance abuse, schizophrenia, etc. Great collegues while I was there.

Cons

Poor supervision - most supervisors are not licensed and have few positive leadership skills. Poor pay and benefits. Often times I had more experience than my supervisors. Other than a few occasions with people who did not stay with the company long, I was essentially given the message that I should be happy to have a job, and was literally told that if I had such a problem with how employees are treated, I should go look for a job elsewhere. And I did.

Use positive reinforcement every now and then. If you truly care about client care, then start treating your employees with more respect, provide training beyond the paperwork and ways to manage dissent. That starts with pay, vacation, sick time, etc. Until then, SBMHC will have a poor reputation in the community. Client care starts with consistency, and if the best consistency you can offer clients is that they will have multiple therapists assigned to them over a period as short as 3 months, client care is poor.

Gain lots of experience but high burnout rate

Current Employee - Family Service Provider in Leominster, MA
    Current Employee - Family Service Provider in Leominster, MA

Pros

Gain tons of experience, hang out with awesome families, make your own schedule, great coworkers, room to grow

Cons

My paycheck has never been accurate, no appreciation for hard work, huge lack of communication, no acknowledgement of employees furthering education

All locations need to be on the same page. More support needed to decrease burnout. Increased compensation, gas reimbursement, bonuses.

FSP position review

Former Employee - Family Service Provider
    Former Employee - Family Service Provider

I worked at South Bay Mental Health Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding to work with kids, especially when you see progress. You know your job makes a difference. Making your own schedule can have its perks if you need some time during the day.

Cons

All the logistics of the job are terrible. You're paid next to nothing and not reimbursed for all of the driving you do. I had to fill my gas tank twice a week which took up a huge chunk of my paycheck. You're required to go to at least 2 supervision meetings per week which are unpaid. All documentation is still done on paper. Scheduling clients can be tough especially during the school year and you will work late. Fee for service model can hurt you. If you get cancelled on you are not paid for that time; and you WILL get cancelled on. Almost impossible to make a living wage. My site director hardly said a word to me after my initial interview. Nobody stays long and it seems like everyone is always looking for a new job.

If you pay your employees more, they will be more likely to want to stay.

Stop! turn back!

Current Employee - Administrative in North Shore, NE
    Current Employee - Administrative in North Shore, NE

Pros

Co workers good supervisor co workers

Cons

Money,training,support.Do more more more and get .25 cents no matter how good you are!You have to hold pay from hard working people who all they want to do is to help people and if they don't do a piece of paper hold hold.pick pick more more more.CAN You SAY BURN OUT! It's not only the therapist that BURN out.

Wake up!

If I could take away stars I would

Current Employee - Family Service Provider
    Current Employee - Family Service Provider

Pros

Depending on the branch, co-workers are nice.

Cons

Everyone wants to quit. The retention rate is extremely low, and not many people survive more than a year. There is ZERO communication. You will get charges held for paperwork that changed or you didn't know existed. The attitude is "Oh well it will go on your next paycheck". Speaking of paychecks, watch it like a hawk because they will change your tax bracket and also not pay you for hours worked. You travel constantly, not like you get paid for it so if you work a 12 hour day, you may get paid for 6 or 7 hours. Oh and budget several thousand dollars in gas a year because they don't reimburse you for it. There are supervisors with no qualifications for the job and there are a lot of unethical things that happen because South Bay cares about profit more than the clients. Overall fee-for-service doesn't work and the stress isn't worth it. There are other companies that are much better to work for.

At this point, disband the company because there is nothing holding it together.

**Unethical** To both Clinicians AND Clients (who have 5+ Clinicians a year due to turnover).

Former Employee - Staff Therapist in Brockton, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Therapist in Brockton, MA

I worked at South Bay Mental Health Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In service trainings (NOT PAID FOR YOUR TIME).
    Good experience working with challenging clients and diverse caseload.

Cons

Lawsuit due to breaking labor laws.
    Focus on hours over clients.
    I have seen multiple clinicians suffer physical ailments due to stress.
    Leadership will send clinicians into unsafe homes without warning them of past safety concerns.
    You will learn to despise your clients if you don't leave early enough due to pressure for hours.
    Supervisors will close cases due technicalities.
    Supervisors will give you "special" opportunities to keep you invested in the company.
    **A FOR PROFIT COMPANY**
    I have seen clinicians go in excited and leave burned out in less than a year.

Focus on taking care of clients. Turnover is detrimental to clients. Have a system so that supervisors know what homes their supervises are in. Give employees work phones.

Management knows what they need to do BUT THEY DON'T CARE. THEY FEED OFF OF NEWLY GRADUATED CLINICIANS.