South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina

Updated December 23, 2014
2.8

CEO

Great Benefits

Pros

Only work 14 days a month. Work only twice a month

Cons

Must have the right mind frame

Take the most incompetent management that you can imagine - then add reverse racism and cliques.

I worked at South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina

Pros

-Benefits are second to none with any state job.
    -Police officer's retirement system.
    -Tons of advancement opportunity if you're the right ethnicity.
    -Policies don't apply to you if you're in circle, which often relates to the above - and by the way, I'm not white and I saw these issues.

Cons

Police retirement systemis fantastic - but you will never make enough money to make it pay off, so what's the point? Half pay of a meager salary is just that.

"Safety first" at the academy, then "are you being a problem?" when you insist on safety in the prisons.

It's pretty bad that I spent seven years there and after the old crew, which was multiracial, retired suddenly it is nothing but African Americans running everything and they have an iron fisted grip on power. I've even been told by a supervisor that "it's our turn now". Everyone knew that the ONLY way to get promoted if you weren't black was to go to a different prison and work your way up there. That's moronic. Also, this is totally unrelated to race, but how about reading comprehension and report writing and problem solving tests? JHC, some of the white shirts were barely literate (including a white and Latino one for those who think I'm making a statement).

Further, these guys DO NOT care about your life. They will issue the most broke, poorly maintained equipment to work in an already dangerous job. One time I was at the hospital with an inmate and I was issued a Barney Fife holster from the 60's that was literally in tatters. Not to mention that it was made for a different gun and you could completely pull the trigger while it was strapped into the holster. So when the holster just broke on me from nothing other than the weight of the weapon - I was left with the gun in my pocket for the rest of the night. That's unsafe, but more safe than a holster so loose that it fell out into the floor when you sat down so I didn't mind. I was told not to come back to work without having bought a new one. I did buy a new one - for my own use since I didn't want an inmate or citizen taking my gun from me - which happened a few month later from another officer with the same type of holster at the same hospital. The person them shot themselves in the elevator. I quit the next week to return to college so that I would never have to work in a job like that again.

Zero accountability for supervisors, who should have the most accountability. Armorers that don't maintain guns, communications supervisors that don't maintain radios - but they check your hands to make sure your nails are clean during inspection. You had better not ever change your own oil.

SC- Department of Corrections

Former Employee - N/A in North Augusta, SC
    Former Employee - N/A in North Augusta, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment
    Great benefits

Cons

Locked down situations
    Working with Offenders Daily

Open communications

The lack of leadership and poor implementation of policy makes this place unsafe.

Former Employee - Correctional Officer
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer

I worked at South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of job openings available.

Cons

The supervisors fraternize with the inmates and policies are overlooked when convenient.

Increase pay and select more capable supervisors

This is the most prejudice place I gave ever worded.

I worked at South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina

Pros

You only work 15 days a month.

Cons

Unless you are an African - American you will be at the bottom of the totem pole. Some of the most uneducated people in the world placed in positions of authority.

Tighten up on your pre employment screenings. Increase the pay for those that are qualified. Quit hiring just bodies hire quality people.

As a Last Resort

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Columbia, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No pros for this agency

Cons

Terrible Management, working conditions are terrible, personal safety is an after thought

Clear out the upper management and put someone in charge that knows what they are doing.

dissatisfied

Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Columbia, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job , with some benefit .

Cons

Favoritism , they are not fair !

Rn

Former Employee - Nurse in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Nurse in Columbia, SC

Pros

Security and retirement plan and benefits

Cons

N/a, experience for your own self

N/a

It pays the bills but can be the most boring job I ever hade

Current Employee - Correctional Officer III in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer III in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It pays decent compared other off the street jobs

Cons

Too many supervisors for a job that requires none ...It is true that heads swell when given the chance to boss people around

Never change from the time you arrive at the institution and when you get promoted and don't get promoted just to be the boss

POOR SUPERVISION

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Bishopville, SC
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Bishopville, SC

Pros

retirement is a great plus..the hours are a great advantage. you get two weeks vacation and 2 weeks sick leave.

Cons

they could care less about you or your family. the benefits suck. the insurance is highly over rated. and they charge outrageous amount if you smoke.

Work at South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina? Share Your Experiences

South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina