South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rn

Nurse (Former Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsSecurity and retirement plan and benefits

ConsN/a, experience for your own self

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

As a Last Resort

Correctional Officer (Former Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsNo pros for this agency

ConsTerrible Management, working conditions are terrible, personal safety is an after thought

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out the upper management and put someone in charge that knows what they are doing.

dissatisfied

Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsStable job , with some benefit .

ConsFavoritism , they are not fair !

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It pays the bills but can be the most boring job I ever hade

Correctional Officer III (Current Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsIt pays decent compared other off the street jobs

ConsToo many supervisors for a job that requires none ...It is true that heads swell when given the chance to boss people around

Advice to Senior ManagementNever change from the time you arrive at the institution and when you get promoted and don't get promoted just to be the boss

POOR SUPERVISION

Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) Bishopville, SC

Prosretirement is a great plus..the hours are a great advantage. you get two weeks vacation and 2 weeks sick leave.

Consthey could care less about you or your family. the benefits suck. the insurance is highly over rated. and they charge outrageous amount if you smoke.

Stable and stress free work environment filled with nice people.

Information Resource Consultant I (Former Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsStable work with the ability to be very influential in business decisions. Three weeks vacation to start and three weeks of sick time, which can be carried over year to year. Fantastic place to work if you have a spouse that pulls in the big bucks and you need something to do with the flexibility of taking time off whenever you need it.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement until current management retires. Pay is on the extremely low end for the state, which is on the low end of the nation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefits can never be so great that pay won't be a factor. Pay developers at least $40k for entry level. Experience should be getting you at least 10-15k over that. You will find that a lot of good people will come and stay for that kind of range with the benefits provided.

Serve your community and find out what your made of.

Correctional Officer (Current Employee) Ridgeville, SC

ProsIt's an opportunity to serve. It's interesting and challenging work. You learn a lot about yourself and human behavior.

ConsPay is limited. You deal with people who can be extremely unpleasant. Employees risk injury every day. You need to have a strong mind. You are surrounded by cursing and vulgarity, which can easily creep into your conduct and conversation. You need to have strength of character to resist that temptation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs in most workplaces, there are power struggles that sap the organizations morale. There are gifted people whose talents are underutilized. We have a large gap between the training manual description of the work and the customary and accepted practices of the workers.

Worked for South Carolina Department of Corrections - Columbia, South Carolina? Contribute to the Community!