South Carolina Department of Health

Be The First To
Add Photos

South Carolina Department of Health Director Catherine Templeton

Catherine Templeton

Great atmosphere despite the red tape needed to get anything accomplished.

Technical Trainer (Former Employee)

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health full-time for more than a year

ProsCo-workers were great and very dedicated.

ConsConstant uncertainty regarding funding year to year.

Morale Couldn't Be Lower

Environmental Health Manager (Current Employee)
Aiken, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood time off benefits. Alternative work schedule (for now). Best part about working here, is leaving at the end of the day.

ConsUpper management is completely clueless, the changes they are making are killing morale. Seems like change just to change, remember "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". No raises, ever, unless you are in management. We got a COL raise last summer and it was immediately taken from us in insurance rate hikes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the nepotism. Firing low paid workers then hiring your friends at salaries of 70k+. If you want to keep your most talented and dedicated people you have to pay them, and give them performance raises.

Department Health and Environmental Control Great Place to Work

Environmental Engineer II (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent Benefits
15 Paid Days off
15 Sick Days
10 Paid Holidays
Willing to Train and Send Employees to Conferences
Telecommuting
Alternate Work Schedule
Not required to work pass scheduled work hours

ConsNo raises every year
Advancement is limited
Lower salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementIt cost the agency money every year to train newly hired employees. Management should make an effort to compensate experienced staff so they will not lose employees to industry.

DHEC Jobs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health

ProsThe benefits package for working for the state or DHEC is good. You get very good health care and time off even thought you have to acquire month by month.

ConsThe pay, and the 1% pay increase for cost of living
Management sometimes doesn't tell you how you are doing, so it pays to ask on regular basis

Advice to Senior ManagementTheire are some good bosses at DHEC, and their are some bad ones. The key is finding one that will work with you and allow you to grow

The Dept. of Mental Health is underfunded and not a positive place to work.

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health

ProsYou have a lot of holidays. You accumulate vacation days and sick days. It's never a problem taking off for family or personal matters.

ConsThere are very few positions that would not be considered a dead-end job. There are no pay increases. Everyone gets the same rating no matter if the employee works his tale off or if he hides in his office all day.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake staff more accountable. Do something to improve morale. Management by fear is not a good concept.

This agency needs help from the lowest level jobs looking upward!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health

ProsFor me, it's close to where I live . It is a state agency, which is historically a good place to work because of the benefits that used to be assured. But, because of budgetary problems, those benefits or the promises that used to be here are not here and are eroding every year.

ConsExtreme amount of favoritism in hiring and promotions, in my view. Nothing is done when people don't do their jobs. Jobs are being "dumbed" down. It's really very sad. From my perspecitve, management has been here a long time, they turn their head to blatant incompetencies. They promote people that don't and won't make waves. It's pretty funny to see how things work around here. We have people that are "Directors" but have no staff??? We have people who don't have anything to do because in the past - they either wouldn't do their job, did the job poorly or half way, or did it so slow that management gave their job to someone else - but, they don't want to fire anyone because that does take a lot of work to get through the red tape!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a back bone! We do have a lot of very capable employees that can and will do the job when the favs don't, won't or can't. Also, when you are able to retire age wise - leave - too many just sit and sleep. We actually have several staff who only walk up and down the halls to get coffee - all day long - I'm serious!! No one knows what they do, no one ever sees them do anything, go anywhere or have any meetings - even people in their own divisions!!

Very Few Opportunities for Advancement

Nutritionist II (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health for more than 5 years

ProsHelping people in need makes it all worth it. You can leave the job at work and not take it home with you. If you are not in it for the money, this is a great place to work.

ConsDidn't see a raise in 4 years and the pay wasn't very good to start with. There is virtually no room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more money and give raises more often. At least meet with the cost of living increases.

Learning experience

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health

ProsState benefits are decent enough.

ConsBureaucracy is bananas at DHEC.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Job. Or maybe not?

Worked for South Carolina Department of Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at South Carolina Department of Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for South Carolina Department of Health CEO Catherine Templeton. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by South Carolina Department of Health employees.