South Carolina FCU

Simply the Best

Current Employee - Service  in  North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Service in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at South Carolina FCU full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I joined this company looking for one that had values consistent with my own. Found it! The organization supports many different cultural perspectives and places attention on leadership and development. From my perspective, management maintains an open door policy and strives to communicate why something is being done. Sometimes, this does not sit well with others, but for me, I understand that not everyone can be pleased all the time.

Cons

Realizing there is no easy solution to dealing with people who do not get their way then blame it on favoritism.

Continue to support the core values and lead by example.

Great company.

Former Employee - Teller  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Teller in Charleston, SC

I worked at South Carolina FCU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and co-workers. Great opportunities for advancement.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of.

You're doing great work.

A positive attitude makes all the difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at South Carolina FCU part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company has been very flexible with me as I have been in school. As my school schedule changes, they adjust my schedule as needed and they do not make me feel like I am contributing any less than the next guy. They have bent over backwards to accommodate me. Co-workers that have been in financial crisis because of a house fire or a medical illness have been compassionately taken care of financially by management and co-workers. I have worked at four financial institutions, and this is by far the best I have worked for.

Cons

There can be some drama between co-workers, but you will get that anywhere you work. You just need to learn quickly who creates the drama and avoid that person and do not get involved.

The idle chit chat about other departments and people needs to stop. If you hear this happening, please pull that person into your office and put a muzzle on it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the Best Places to Work in SC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at South Carolina FCU full-time for less than a year

Pros

South Carolina Federal Credit Union has been voted one of the best places to work in South Carolina. An employer of choice organization, South Carolina Federal is a wonderful place to work.

The people here are professional, hard working, compassionate individuals who value a work / life balance. Compensation is above average and is fair across the board. The benefits are outstanding. We pay very little out of pocket for employee insurance coverage. The company offers a 401(k) with a fantastic match. There are lots of non-traditional benefits, too, including a wellness program, an onsite gym, free flu shots, onsite lunch vendors for employees, and additional opportunities throughout the year to earn or win additional time off.

Employees here are given the tools and management coaching they need to succeed. South Carolina Federal also has a top-notch learning center that provides numerous opportunities for traning and development throughout the year. The company encourages promotion from within and takes every opportunity to do so when appropriate. The culture here is one of teamwork and helpfulness. The company also is very involved in the community and gives back to several local charities. Coming to work at South Carolina Federal is by far the best career move I've ever made!

Cons

None that I can think of!

Terrible

I worked at South Carolina FCU

Pros

The pay is over market because of the level management you have to deal with.

Cons

Favoritism is the name of the game here. They have more managers than they do employees in some departments and not everyone is treated fairly. If you do not fit into their social events they will force you out. Management is terrible and communication is even worse. Save yourself time and don't bother.

Stop breaking fair employment laws. Stop having 8 managers for one group.

Neutral - some experiences were very positive while others were not.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC

I worked at South Carolina FCU

Pros

Incredible benefits. Flexible time off - several days given each year, can be used as vacation, sick time, etc. Unheard of 10% match on 401-K. Outstanding in-house training opportunities. Nice, new facilities. Very well known in the area and growing rapidly - a prestigious place to work.

There are a good many women in management positions there, which is true of many credit unions. Women who hit the "glass ceiling" at banks often leave to work for credit unions.

Pay is pretty good, but not as good as banks, but banks can usually afford to pay more because they are for-profit while credit unions are nonprofit.

Generally, the people who work there are very friendly and there is a positive team spirit and a firm commitment to providing the best level of member (customer) service.

Cons

Some managers are excellent while others are not. With the poor managers, people are often hired or promoted based on personal reasons (i.e. social connections outside of work, etc.) rather than their job skills or interpersonal skills, and there is considerable favoritism which takes a huge toll on employee morale.

Also, the credit union is often named "employer of choice" for providing good "work/life balance" through reduced full-time shifts, leaves of absence, etc. -- but, in reality few employees get to take advantage of these programs, because they are solely at the discretion of the manager, and most managers simply refuse.

Worked for South Carolina FCU? Contribute to the Community!