South Dakota Tech
www.sdsmt.edu Rapid City, SD 150 to 499 Employees

South Dakota Tech Reviews

Updated Jan 7, 2014
South Dakota Tech – US – “scientist”

Robert A. Wharton

Good place to go to Graduate School

Graduate Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Dakota Tech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmaller school, more one on one attention from your advisor. Usually faculty is very accommodating and willing to help.

ConsSince this is a smaller school the research areas might be smaller. If you need to change you may be challenged to find another project.

Poor experience - CAPE Lab

Student Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at South Dakota Tech as an intern for less than a year

ProsLots of freedom, because there is a lack of focus and projects. Otherwise I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to work there aside from resume filler.

ConsThe lab director hides in his office all day while the "Research Scientist" and "Plastics Engineer" mentally abuse the students who do the actual work. Don't work there. There are plenty of other places to work at SDSMT to get started on your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of everyone and start over.

Over all a positive experience.

Research Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at South Dakota Tech part-time for more than 3 years

ProsResearch advisors were very willing to help with problems which arose while in the lab and they were also helpful when looking for new opportunities to further your career.

ConsNot all of the material which was needed for research was readily available due to the small nature of the school.

Abusive Work Environment

Student Lab Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at South Dakota Tech part-time for more than a year

ProsThere are no positives. Do not work here. Avoid it at all costs. I repeat, there are no positives. Work at any of the other labs at SDSMT if you need the experience. This place is not worth your time.

ConsI would not recommend this lab to anybody. The staff is abusive and actually steals from their employer routinely. They keep getting away with it because they keep getting away with it because their manager is absent most of the time, and so believes them when they blame everyone else. Horrible place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue

It could be improved a lot more...

Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Dakota Tech full-time

Pros-Professors are generally very approachable and nice, especially if you approach them outside class
-Surrounded by the Black Hills, tons of outdoor activities such as hiking, rock-climbing, skiing, snowboarding, etc.
-Parking is cheap (about $70 a year)
-Abundant internship/co-op opportunities for those who are ambitious
-Career Center is very helpful in preparing/helping students get a job
-Maintain a very good relationship with certain companies
-Literally the lowest out-of-state undergraduate tuition in the entire United States for an engineering college
-High starting salary. We are currently (as of Sept 2012) rank 10th in the nation for state university in terms of average starting salary. We beat Harvard!

Cons-Professors are horrible in terms of teaching skills. Only about 1 in 10 professors have a decent teaching skills, the rest are just either plain dumb or very smart, but the point is it is very hard to understand what they are teaching. Lacking severely in teaching skills. If you choose to go to SDSM&T, be prepared to read the textbook on your own, don't expect to attend lectures and understand.
-Some professors are "obligated" to teach. They only want to do research, but they are "forced" to teach if they want to take the job, so they teach very poorly (although some are very smart).
-Housing is severely limited. Unless you are a first or second year undergraduate, it is very difficult (next to impossible) to find a decent place within walking distance.
-Parking space is severely limited. During peak hours, there is no parking spot left.
-On campus employment opportunities for international undergraduate students are extremely limited.
-It's very hard for international students to obtain internships/co-op experience
-Upper level courses are offered during even/odd semester/year only, causing your course schedule in jeopardy and delay your graduation
-Almost 90% who applied are admitted. Needs to be much more selective, otherwise students who are really not qualified will struggle once they are admitted.
-A few foreign professors/teaching assistants speak incomprehensible English, although most have good English speaking ability
-Website is horrible. Can't find stuff easily.
-Food is even worse than the website. It doesn't taste like food and will cost you a fortune. The cheapest plan per meal is about $1400 per semester (4 months). And that is a requirement for everybody living in the dormitory.
-Not a highly ranked-university. Very low international reputation.
-Bad preparation for a pre-med program. If you are trying to get into medical school, please do not go here (although they offer it).
-Not a lot of diversity. 90% white, the rest 10% is Native American, Hispanic, Asian, Black, and Mixed Race.
-It feels like 90% of students are male, although the official statistics says 74%. It must be for the nursing students or the industrial engineering students. In other major such as mechanical/electrical engineering, please don't expect to see more than 4 female in 40 students.
-Laboratory equipment is old and outdated.
-Textbook selection is horrible. Please select better textbooks and don't change textbook to a newer edition every year.
-Varsity athletic team is just embarrassing. Please win a game, at least once. Please?
-Very "politically correct" environment although this is just on the surface. Actually, what is really happening is very politically "incorrect". There are teaching assistants (senior undergrad) who missed 70% of class attendance when they took the class. How could they be selected as TAs?
-Some degree of "underground" racial discrimination. I said "underground" because it is not readily apparent.
-The Foundation is not student-friendly. It is lion-friendly.
-Alcohol violation in the dorms are ignored and the Resident Assistant are either collaborating or powerless.

Good Buy

Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Dakota Tech part-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good education of the price

ConsTakes a lot of time

RA in SDSMT

Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Dakota Tech full-time for more than a year

ProsGood finance and easy to live in city

ConsIt is not a high-rank university

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the level of knowledge and faculty

Professional development in real world applications of rigorous scientific knowledge and research.

Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Dakota Tech

ProsI looked all around the western half of the nation for an institution where I could get a masters which fit both of my requirements. I wanted a school which dug into the science, but also was grounded in the real world. I wanted applied science. Many programs fall on either end of the spectrum. Other programs have science for the sake of science, or are happy to storm chase, or forecast on tv without asking any difficult questions. Located right next to the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore, there are many opportunities for outdoor recreation.

ConsThis is a small institution and in some transition. A research plane is scheduled to be in use sometime in the future, and the search is on for a new department head after retirement of others. Some people may not like the smallish city of Rapid City.

Working at SDSMT had been a rewarding experience.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Dakota Tech

ProsThe Black Hills area is a beautiful place to live and play. There are many outdoor activities available. Hours are flexible and management is understanding of personal responsibilities.

ConsThe winters can be very cold and there is the occasional blizzard. The job can be very monotonous at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on updating lab and testing equipment, not making the facilities look better. Make people more accountable for doing their assigned job.

Great College/ Great Students/ Great Place to Work

I have been working at South Dakota Tech

Prosease in collaborating with faculty and staff; accessibility of administrative leadership to faculty and staff; good reputation of the school; students receive a quality education at a reasonable price; faculty and staff are recognized for their accomplishments; location in Black Hills --many scenic and recreational opportunities

Conslimited resources; staff often responsible for multiple roles and responsiblities; limited opportunities for arts and cultural activities due to location in a small-sized city of 60,000 in a rural region of the country;

Advice to Senior Managementsolicit feedback from faculty, staff and students on a regular basis through confidential surveys;

Worked for South Dakota Tech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at South Dakota Tech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for South Dakota Tech CEO Robert A. Wharton. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by South Dakota Tech employees.