South Florida Water Management District

Updated September 16, 2014
2.9

CEO

Politics rules the agency

I worked at South Florida Water Management District full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Coworkers are bright motivated people

Cons

Take your turn as the sacrificial lamb

Too political

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

Keep your nose down and work and you'll keep your job

Cons

It's not what you know, it's who you know. Lack of ability to move up unless you know hiring managers really well. That goes for HR too

Better communication needed

Job not a career or pubic service

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at South Florida Water Management District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Reliable pay checks. On-site cafeteria.

Cons

Inexperienced leadership. No value placed on abilities or job satisfaction of existing staff. Executive team is 90% white males between 39 and 55. Very little diversity.

Start putting a value on retaining staff. Stop promoting staff with little integrity or technical/personal skills. Remember that the agency exists to serve the public, not upper management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Questionable Management - Prospective Employees Beware

Current Employee - Const Manager  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Const Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at South Florida Water Management District full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers to work with....good place to put in your time for experience

Cons

Management is one big clique...They hire you for one type of work and then make you perform worl with no support whatsover and to top it off, you are then evaluated for the work you have the least experience in. All promotions and raises while I was there was for management levels only.

Start treating your employees the way you would like to be treated...Stop stalling tactics on Everglades Restoration Projects...

Employees Great, HR & Executive Management Self Serving

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at South Florida Water Management District full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Scientist and Engineers that work there are the top of their field. There are truly dedicated staff that make the place great.

Cons

Promotions based on nepotism. HR staff has more education and real world experience than management. HR management only experience from working at the District. Management nor HR responds to employee concerns, retaliates on employees who report issues. Lacks confidentiality! Executive management received multiple pay increases while employees did receive anything for 5 years.

Was great before Rick Scott (current FL governor)

Former Employee - Division Director  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Division Director in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

* Highly cooperative environment, good teamwork
    * Decent salaries, given it's a government agency

Cons

* 90% of upper management has no management skill
    * Highly politicized place since Rick Scott took over governorship of FL

Take a class. Learn to manage people.

Good experience to move career forward with satisfying work.

I have been working at South Florida Water Management District full-time

Pros

Stable environment with good (not great) benefits. When you focus on your work you are okay. Great co-workers to work with. Support from middle management. Employees are dedicated to doing great work. Attitude throughout the District is to make the goals and missions of the District a success.

Cons

No advancement. Negotiate a good salary to start. No staff support from upper management or the state levels. Expect the next level in career advancement will be outside the agency.

Create an environment to keep your talent with opportunities.

the best place that I worked for

Former Employee - Professional Supervisor  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Professional Supervisor in Miami, FL

Pros

Great Benefits, good people, reliable stable salary and in retrospect, I wished that I never left because the private sector seems like a real jungle after the district. Well, live and learn!!

Cons

Management, as always and everywhere, used nepotism for promotions and padded itself in the back taking credit from someone else's efforts and kept most of the good ideas down. But again, I have not worked at a place where this is not the case.

It is government and not a private industry and despite all the empty talk from the governors and what not, you should stick to your guns, serve the public as well as you can, take care of the staff and really that's all you can do.

Great agency castrated by politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at South Florida Water Management District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great people, world class scientists and engineers, great technology, great benefits

Cons

Sadly is now driven by politics. Science takes a back seat to politics in major decisions.

Stand up and and defend the best resources you have - your staff. Stop putting gag orders on your employees.

NOT for contract employees. You're discriminated! Horrible work environment for contractors-HORRIBLE!

I worked at South Florida Water Management District as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

humm... decent food in the cafeteria.

Cons

From the moment you walk in the door to get a temporary badge from the security guard to the time you need to be in a meeting for work-purposes (then thrown out because you are not an "employee"), you are discriminated against.

The security guard calls you a "temp", you're given a different color badge (red) to highlight you ARE a contractor and not an employee, you are not allowed to attend meetings specific for your job and then asked to leave if you do attend (yes, right before the meeting even begins), then thown into a corner to work by yourself or with other contractors (away from the employee subject matter experts that are necessary to work with for your job), outcasted at lunch to not sit with them because you are a "temp", not allowed to attend very important safety meetings regarding being "out in the field" so you're health is then at risk when you DO have to go, frowned upon when you partake in any fun company events...

I could go on and on. I've had my turns at being discriminated in my 23 years as a contractor, but this takes the CAKE! Unbelievable. I ended my day a few times crying as I left the building walking toward my car until one day I finally quit and walked out due to a joke about how much consultants are worth!!!!

Watch your back for lawers... If this were private sector, SFWMD would be gone and burried years ago.

Worked for South Florida Water Management District? Contribute to the Community!