South Georgia Medical Center

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James McGahee

Pay kinda sucks but they do care about their employees

I have been working at South Georgia Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHolds lots of events for employees

ConsWorst paying hospital in the region

Advice to Senior ManagementCan play favorites

Good place to start out...no room for advancement

I have been working at South Georgia Medical Center

ProsMajority of people are great to work with. Pretty flexible with time off. Right in the middle of town so the commute is short. The hospital is growing and expanding creating more jobs and availability of care to more people. Tuition reimbursement and scholarships.

ConsStaff are under appreciated. You can go 30 min to another hospital and get paid WAY more even just starting out. High turn over rate. Most people stay for 1-2 years for experience or to work off their scholarship and leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your staff and show it...they are the ones providing patient care. Happy staff will give better care and patients will have a better experience.

Failing!!! Patient care declining, staff morale declining, budget struggling. Not a place anyone would want to work.

clinical and non clinical positions (Former Employee)

I worked at South Georgia Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNice new water fountain, Nice new heart tower, Nice new admissions entrance, New poorly built parking garage. Surgery center is nice. What about working there???? Hmmmm.... Nothing nice about that!

ConsTOP REASONS NOT TO WORK AT SGMC!

-Heavy-Handed Top-Down Leadership
-Fear Driven leadership
-Benefits/healthcare coverage less than par
-Little consideration for long time hard working employees.
-Petty on-the-spot policies to micro manage staff
-Under the table behavior modification
-Superficial non-relational leaders
-Lack of employee rewards based incentives
-Promotes Lower staff to patient ratio during low census and degrades patient care
-Overworks clinical and nonclinical staff with no relief or compensation
-More concern given to keeping up appearances than quality patient and employee care
(Top box % is key not Top employees %)

-Top 10 of nations highest priced healthcare costs
(Although upper management will state they are the lowest priced in region)

Advice to Senior Management*Eliminate Heavy top down organizational structure

*Build from base of long standing employees.

*Build employee relationships instead of creating rules /regulations

*Develop strong employee based incentives to boost morale

*Improve employee health with better insurance coverage and incentives

*Full service On-site health & fitness center

*Provide adjustable desks for seated and standing work, ergonomic workstations and supplies

*Develop frequent job rotation for staff retention and prevent burnout

*Encourage overall health in your healthcare employees first to set example for community

*Offer more training, Georgia work ready, free computer software classes on an as need basis, career advancement for non clinical staff.

***Start empowering lower and middle Staff and you'll build it!
***Continue over empowering upper leadership and you'll end it!

"...where there is no vision people perish..." (Some wise prophet)

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Very Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at South Georgia Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood place to work, regardless of the few cons.

ConsNo sick time,no pension and vacation time built up slowly. Sick time had to come out of vacation time.

Advice to Senior Managementreinstate sick time to not come out of vacation time and help build up vacation time a little faster so people can enjoy their time off to be refreshed and ready to come back to work.

A Job with decent Benefits an Administration (Hospital wide) that can't manage money well

Pharmacy Tech III (Current Employee)
Valdosta, GA

I have been working at South Georgia Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Benefits are great, the people are wonderful (with a few grumpy folks). the Pharmacy Administration is very caring and very particular, they will work with you if your kiddos are sick, or if you are sick.

ConsPay is horrible, they said they compared us to regional hospitals, however when you have a Bachelor's Degree, Certified and Registered and only get paid 11.00 / hr its pretty ridiculous. Upper level adminitration doesn't know how to handle / manage money. They are constantly building and buying other hospitals.. Which adds to the workload yet no raises or no new people are being hired to take care of new patients.. Patient care / satisfaction is horrible probably because employee moral is bad. Overall this is a great place to work if you like to Kiss Up and Brown nose you will go far.. I always just put my head down and work my tail off to earn my keep.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement shows extreme favoritism to some employees.

Good company

I have been working at South Georgia Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAreas for advancement. Benefits package is very comprehensive. Large enough that obtain experience, small enough you don't get lost in the shuffle.

ConsSome "good old boy" network alive and kicking but getting better. Standard of work is not consistent across facility. Some hospital/medical staff are not held accountable like everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake everyone accountable. Listen to staff when making decisions, they are the ones that have to work with the decisions you make. Involve staff in decision making.

Good place to work,

Admissions Tech (Former Employee)

I worked at South Georgia Medical Center

ProsReally enjoyed the environment and the staff. The management was easy to work with and for, and the benefits were perfect.

ConsI didn't really like the hours, or the "one week on one week off" schedule. It worked okay while I was in school, but I can't imagine doing it forever.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe more focus on training and employee optimization would go far to make the work experience an enjoyable one.

Get contract details in writing.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Georgia Medical Center

ProsWonderful new-employee orientation. Great schedule.

ConsDue to short-staffing, I have spent many 12 hour shifts with no break or lunch. (12 hours is a long time to go without food.)

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk the employees for ways to improve. Many of us have excellent ideas, and we want our workplace to be the very best. Make sure to tell the interviewee that the shift differential is subject to change. I was hired at the 5.25 critical staffing shift differential and was never told at the interview that it was temporary. I found out until a month before the critical staffing pay was eliminated. I felt cheated!

Worked for South Georgia Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at South Georgia Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for South Georgia Medical Center CEO James McGahee. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by South Georgia Medical Center employees.