South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust

www.slam.nhs.uk

South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust Reviews

CEO

Great place to learn from world leaders in their fields.

Current Employee - Assistant Psychologist  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Psychologist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust full-time for more than a year

Pros

In my area, my supervisors have been exceptionally knowledgeable and generous with sharing their knowledge. They have gone above and beyond to help me improve and develop in a way I have never experienced previously. The clear career pathways and strict criteria for interview and promotion within clinical roles in the NHS appears to largely remove many of the reasons for intra-organisational politics. After a career in the private sector, it has been refreshing and makes up for not being provided with free hot beverages a thousand times over!

Cons

Facilities are minimal and there is little reward beyond personal growth and satisfaction for the difficult jobs people do. There are no Christmas bonuses and there are no opportunities to jump pay bands within a job title. In short, the pay is pretty poor considering how hard people work and how educated they are. I would love to see how many people in the private sector would begrudge NHS staff their pension if they spent just one day doing some of the jobs we do. Yet, that one bonus, that one reward for often thankless work is disappearing too. To save money, our particular trust is trying to consolidate its property portfolio which means there is less and less space available for people to work. As a result, our building is full beyond capacity such that I haven't even been allocated a permanent desk in the 9 months I have been in my current role and all my stuff is in a cardboard box. In summary, the pay is rubbish and the office facilities are awful.

Instead of trying to save money by cutting frontline staff who do the jobs that patients need the NHS to do, look at efficiency savings. For example, it takes between 5 and 40 minutes for us to log into our computers in the morning. That's the amount of time it takes to write case notes, read a patients history or almost a whole therapy session, yet we are stuck staring at a computer screen paralysed because almost everything is computerised these days. The NHS is a complicated animal and deciding where to make cost savings is incredibly difficult, but cutting front line staff should be the last option, not the first. Especially in the face or substandard IT systems.

Great job, a lot of staff should be sacked though!

Current Employee - Assistant Centre Coordinator  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Centre Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Brilliant variety of mental health work in one of the leading mental health trusts

Cons

A lot of staff are totally incompetent, lazy and rude to patients

Train managers to be more assertive with their reports and get rid of the coasters - they are doing you no service.

Disorganised Management

I have been working at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay, benefits. The NHS has good job security.

Cons

Senior Management. As in any large organisation, the ones who rise to the top are narcissists and don't care much for those below them. There are office politics.

This is a mental health organisation, please treat employees with kindness and care.

Worked for South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust? Contribute to the Community!