South Nassau Communities Hospital

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Richard J. Murphy

Great working enviornment

Nursing Assistant (Current Employee)
Oceanside, NY

I have been working at South Nassau Communities Hospital part-time for more than 3 years

ProsSouth Nassau really is like a little family. The staff are extrememly friendly and work well together. They really value their employees and there are plenty of opportunities for growth and advancement.

ConsThis really isn't a "Con", more like a tip. A lot of the staff that work there are students from surrounding schools in the area. So the newly listed positions tend to fill up quickly around graduation so I recommend applying early if you are interested in getting a position.

Wonderful place to work

Social Worker (Current Employee)
Oceanside, OR

I have been working at South Nassau Communities Hospital part-time for more than 5 years

ProsStaff professional and very caring

ConsWork in Homecare office would benefit if location was in hospital

OR Nurse

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at South Nassau Communities Hospital

ProsPeople were mostly nice to work with, a little cliquey

ConsLow pay, poor benefits package

good place to work and great athmosphere

Pca (Current Employee)
Oceanside, NY

I have been working at South Nassau Communities Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Prossmall and friendly hospital, friendly staff,

Consnot really any down sides

Great Learning Experience

Cpht (Former Employee)

I worked at South Nassau Communities Hospital for more than 3 years

ProsHires to teach, not much experience required

ConsPer Diems still work 30-40 hours a week

Its not for everyone but love it

Psychiatric Assistant (Current Employee)
Oceanside, NY

I have been working at South Nassau Communities Hospital full-time for less than a year

ProsNice Pay, Nice atmosphere, Updated units, Mostly friendly Staff

ConsYou have to come at least 15 minutes before your shift for immediate free parking, if not you'll have to park in the other parking lot and take the shuttle bus to the hospital.

Nice employees, So-so management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at South Nassau Communities Hospital as an intern for more than a year

ProsWorking with nice, fun people. I liked the values that they held, and felt like there were opportunities for further education, especially for the nursing staff.

ConsFrustrating dealing with Human Resources, not a lot of equity in treatment within departments - people who were favorites were given special treatment when their performance did not merit it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, be fair and treat equal employees equally.

Sleepy south shore long island community, close knit environment, small minded views.

Medical Secretary (Former Employee)

I worked at South Nassau Communities Hospital

ProsDisclaimer: I can only speak for my experience at SN as a supporting staff member. I cannot describe the work environment for nursing professionals.
This is a small facility that serves the surrounding communities, unlike the large academic institutions that serve the metro area. You will quickly get to know almost everyone working here and people will recognize you. There are many genuinely nice and friendly employees who you will look forward to seeing, and many will be happy to assist you if you need help. Also such a small facility means the work load can be much less than larger hospitals in the area.
Administration prides itself in their so called "open door policy" when it comes to approachability. The administration department is located at the very entrance to the facility, open to all, so it is not hard to find someone to voice your concerns to. Human resources and most other departments are located in the same building, (for now) so it is easy to get help with any issues you may be having.
Full time employees are paid Bi-Weekly, receiving paychecks on Thursday, while part time and per Diem employees are paid weekly.
No matter where you are driving in from, the commute is generally pretty tolerable. There is also a bus stop directly in front of the hospital which allows many people without cars to get to work.
Employee only cafeteria means it is easier to just relax and have your lunch, and the food is cheap and good enough!
Also the HR department offers some nice perks, discounted movie tickets sold here, some entertainment discounts, Verizon employee discounts are given as well.

ConsPay and benefits are okay, but simply don't stack up to the larger facilities in the metro area. Health care plan is decent, dental coverage is termed "dental assistance plan" so it offers more of a discount on dental care. Its not quite comparable to a true dental insurance plan. No vision benefits offered. You can use the health plan to see an ophthalmologist, however eyeglasses are not covered.
Federal holidays come out of your "paid-time off bucket" instead of the hospital simply paying for the day off, meaning, if you have Thanksgiving off, it will be deducted from your personal days or vacation time. This is very different than other area hospitals.
Parking, can be very hard at times, and people who live nearby are constantly petitioning the town of Oceanside to place heavier restrictions on people parking in front of their homes which neighbor the hospital. I've been yelled at by many homeowners for parking near their house. I feel their pain, but what else can we do. The hospital will not build any more levels to their parking area because it will "obstruct the view of the hospital" by passerby... come on.
When it comes to using vacation time, management is not very accommodating. They will make you feel as if you using the time off you have earned is an inconvenience.
The equipment and technology being used here is horribly outdated in some departments, and technical support can be lacking at times. When it comes to budgets, technology is not given any kind of priority or importance.
The medical records department can be inefficient sometimes, and the hospital places a big reliance on them to provide necessary information, since historical records are not digitized here. An EMR is only just being implemented here so you can only imagine how many archaic and outdated practices are in place...There are even people using typewriters here...no I am not joking. Many workers simply don't have up to date computer skills. Many departments have designated people to perform typing or computer work because many people don't know how to use programs like Microsoft Office.
Some of my co-workers were not confident enough, or were lacking proper education and training to do their jobs. Sadly many errors are made on a constant basis, and sometimes these mistakes are the type to affect patient care. There are little to no opportunities for additional training to those who don't feel completely confident. You are expected to learn from your trainer as quickly as possible and they don't appreciate you feeling unprepared, even if training was not sufficient. Continuing Education seminars are not frequent enough, and those who want to attend are sometimes discouraged if it will inconvenience the department (rather than accommodating those who wish to expand their medical knowledge).
No bonuses are given here. Although I am unaware if administration and management are entitled to yearly bonuses.
Many senior management personnel and staff physicians are just downright demeaning and unkind people who can treat employees horribly. In this small place, you will see the same physicians constantly. Unfortunately if you make a complaint about a manager or physician's abusive behavior, its hard to be taken seriously.
Departmental Policies are constantly changing and even contradicting each other from time to time. It sort of makes you feel that the hospital administration doesn't have a grip on laws and regulations as they relate to the hospital.
Lastly, my biggest concern was the attitudes of many workers, who I witnessed on multiple occasions expressing negative comments about people of certain cultures, religions, and orientation. I don't know if they intended to be hateful, but this type of thinking is toxic to the rest of us who do not harbor hatred or small minded views.

Advice to Senior Management*Ensure all staff members are properly educated and trained as it might relate to their job. I think there is a big opportunity here to better educate support staff so that they feel more confident in what they are doing. (Again I can't speak for the nursing staff) Also continuing education as far as advances in the medical field and technology developments should also be incorporated. Nobody wants to feel old fashioned.
*Vacation time is beneficial to our mental well-being. Management will happily take their vacations, whenever it suits them. Everyone else should be able to without fear.
*Hold management and on-staff physicians accountable for their abusive behavior. It doesn't do any good to promote negative environments.
*Take better care to ensure proper staffing in departments. Spending a little more money on some staff will make many people happy.
*Promote better cooperation and understanding of each other and with people of all cultures. This is so important in health care.
*Reassess the technology being utilized here. Technology is only here to make our lives easier, and making sure you are using relevant technology will only make work flow more efficient in the long run. Email is extremely under utilized.

great place to work

Utility Worker (Former Employee)

I worked at South Nassau Communities Hospital

ProsIt is relaxed place to work

Consit doesnt pay that much

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay for emplyees please

Clashing gears

Licensed Health Care Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at South Nassau Communities Hospital

ProsLocation, location, location. Especially with the high cost of transportation, coupled with the difficulty of traversing long distances in the New York Metro area, South Nassau is a good employment option for people living in East Queens, Nassau County, and Western Suffolk County.

ConsHospital Administration does a poor job of insuring that different departments work together seamlessly. This results from poor lines of communication between staff, middle management, and administration. One example would be e-mail. E-mail has proven to be an effective way to promote communication between various levels of staff, yet, incredibly, South Nassau does not permit staff level personnel to hold e-mail accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely, open the lines of communication. This cannot be reiterated enough. Additionally, show more concern to insuring that interdependent departments work together seamlessly. The intention to provide top-notch care definitely exists among the staff, but inconsistent policies and procedures make this rather elusive.

Worked for South Nassau Communities Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at South Nassau Communities Hospital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for South Nassau Communities Hospital CEO Richard J. Murphy. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by South Nassau Communities Hospital employees.