South Suburban College

1. Enjoyable job as an adjunst

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Oak Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Oak Forest, IL

I worked at South Suburban College part-time

Pros

I was told ahead of time whether I would work from semester to semester. Sometimes classes were cancelled because of low enrollment. I worked in a smal department in the Oak Forest Campus. I loved working there. Everyone was respectful and polite to one another. I met some wonderful people. Because what I taught was somewhat of a speciality, politics did not rule. There were few adjuncts who could teach the classes in that field.

Cons

Mandatory union fees were deducted from my check.

Advice to Management

The attorney in charge of our department had too much going on to handle our department properly. I would like him to know that students suffer because of your business.

2. Very dissatisfied with this employer

I have been working at South Suburban College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My current boss is great.

Cons

Upper managerment is poor and you have to be politically connected to work here.

Advice to Management

Get a college degree and some common sense.

SSC is a great place to work, but it's extremely political.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Holland, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Holland, IL

I have been working at South Suburban College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment
    Lots of days off
    Stable environment
    Guaranteed raises
    Free education

Cons

Politics
    Terrible managers and directors
    Force union enrollment

Advice to Management

Shy away from the politics. There is a new generation of workers that are taking positions in the college that just do not have the same work ethic as the previous generation. Knowing someone doesn't mean that anyone is entitled to do little to no work. If you hold a position within the college, you should be held to high standards and expected to fulfill the job duties.

Hiring friends and family is fine, it's what happens. The issue is that these people have no desire to do the job they hold. Management needs to hold people accountable for their work.

5. Very enriching and enjoyable.

I worked at South Suburban College

Pros

I was able to work with lots of nice people in the television studio. I was also able to get production and crew member experience.

Cons

Sometimes there would be technical difficulties. But on the whole, everything was smooth.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The TV studio is a great resource for students seeking careers in film and television.

6. One of many in the army of adjunct instructors

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in South Holland, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in South Holland, IL

I have been working at South Suburban College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Classes are always full and I've never had a class cancelled due to low enrollment. The full time faculty seem interested in helping the adjuncts succeed.

Cons

The pay is horrible as if pay for all adjuncts in Illinois. I earn 1600 dollars per class per semester. After SURS and taxes its less than $100 per week. The campus is a concrete jungle, and a lot of the equipment in the classrooms is outdated. Sadly many students are not prepared to be at the college level at this school, which presents a host of additional challenges for the instructors. In my opinion a lot of the admins and staff were hired because they knew someone and not because they were a good fit in an office.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure any advice would help. Higher Ed is in trouble, My advice is to anyone thinking about a career in academia: DON"T DO IT unless you are independently wealthy.

7. Review of Job experience at South Suburban College

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in South Holland, IL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in South Holland, IL

I have been working at South Suburban College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have excellent training, and my supervisor is always available to assist me if I have a problem. The job atmosphere is serious but not pressured. The managers are not distant or aloof but always availiable if you have a question. Overall I am having a good job experience at South Suburban College.

Cons

The layout of the College is not well planned and one may be confused on first visiting there. For example the main entrance and the employee and student parking lots are not at the front of the main building but behind it.

Advice to Management

One thing that can be improved is having more teaching materials available for instructors.