South Suburban College

www.southsuburbancollege.edu

South Suburban College Reviews

3.4

CEO

Very enriching and enjoyable.

I worked at South Suburban College

Pros

I was able to work with lots of nice people in the television studio. I was also able to get production and crew member experience.

Cons

Sometimes there would be technical difficulties. But on the whole, everything was smooth.

Keep doing what you're doing. The TV studio is a great resource for students seeking careers in film and television.

SSC is a great place to work, but it's extremely political.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South Holland, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Holland, IL

I have been working at South Suburban College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relaxed work environment
    Lots of days off
    Stable environment
    Guaranteed raises
    Free education

Cons

Politics
    Terrible managers and directors
    Force union enrollment

Shy away from the politics. There is a new generation of workers that are taking positions in the college that just do not have the same work ethic as the previous generation. Knowing someone doesn't mean that anyone is entitled to do little to no work. If you hold a position within the college, you should be held to high standards and expected to fulfill the job duties.

Hiring friends and family is fine, it's what happens. The issue is that these people have no desire to do the job they hold. Management needs to hold people accountable for their work.

One of many in the army of adjunct instructors

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  South Holland, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in South Holland, IL

I have been working at South Suburban College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Classes are always full and I've never had a class cancelled due to low enrollment. The full time faculty seem interested in helping the adjuncts succeed.

Cons

The pay is horrible as if pay for all adjuncts in Illinois. I earn 1600 dollars per class per semester. After SURS and taxes its less than $100 per week. The campus is a concrete jungle, and a lot of the equipment in the classrooms is outdated. Sadly many students are not prepared to be at the college level at this school, which presents a host of additional challenges for the instructors. In my opinion a lot of the admins and staff were hired because they knew someone and not because they were a good fit in an office.

I'm not sure any advice would help. Higher Ed is in trouble, My advice is to anyone thinking about a career in academia: DON"T DO IT unless you are independently wealthy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review of Job experience at South Suburban College

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  South Holland, IL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in South Holland, IL

I have been working at South Suburban College part-time for less than a year

Pros

They have excellent training, and my supervisor is always available to assist me if I have a problem. The job atmosphere is serious but not pressured. The managers are not distant or aloof but always availiable if you have a question. Overall I am having a good job experience at South Suburban College.

Cons

The layout of the College is not well planned and one may be confused on first visiting there. For example the main entrance and the employee and student parking lots are not at the front of the main building but behind it.

One thing that can be improved is having more teaching materials available for instructors.

Worked for South Suburban College? Contribute to the Community!