South Texas Blood & Tissue Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Linda Myers

Lab Tech

Lab Tech (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat place to work and a growing market.

ConsPay rate, the cost of living isn't that great

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great job

They take your blood and suck your life

ProsAt one point they had a good mission. Some good people. It is nice to know your job helps someone even if the company does not seem to care anymore.

ConsThe mission and vision is no longer about saving lives. It's about money. The older reviews remind us as to what it was like here once. Now it is a cutthroat business where managers threaten your job for everything. See BioBridge Global and Qualtex company reviews as well as they are all the same company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people that gave no business in management. The board should replace current CEO then back off. Executives should be held accountable to core values. I don't think I have seen any core values exhibited by any if them. Consider changing RIE, respect, integrity, and excellence to DIE, disrespect, involuntary retirement, and excessive micromanagement.

Could be so much better

ProsProducing life saving products and helping the community

ConsTerrible management that are so goal oriented they forget what the company is there for. What ever happened to making quality products to save lives? It seems like it is achieve this or you are out now. I'm actually afraid for my job every day because we seem to be losing hospital contracts and I know they will have to make up those funds somehow.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember why you are here. Come back to what you once were.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sadly in the department I work there is no opportunity toward growth

DC Coordinator (Current Employee)

Prosmost people for this enterprise are great

Consthere has been no opportunity for advancement, though I have never had a bad mark against me and have remained a very faithful employee, and have made every attempt I know to learn more.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro management is not beneficial to those that are willing to learn and grow. It seems that patience, kindness, teamwork, experience and a willing attitude to learn has not helped me in this company.

Community server and nice people that work there

Coordinator (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsEmployees are great and a meaningful community cause

ConsNot much in other job opportunities or advancement once employed in the company

Advice to Senior Managementoffer training and job opportunities for all employees to grow

Unorganized upper management, low pay but good health benefits.

Manager (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat co-workers. Good health benefits.

ConsToo many changes in upper management. Bad decisions, bad hiring. Low pay.

Loved the job, not the High School Drama

Tech II (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGood for people who want to get their foot in the door of the medical field. Will get a lot of experience for those who want practice in Phlebotomy. When it's busy the day goes by fast! Positive attitude. You feel good doing this job because you are helping to save lives. Decent trainers. If you are applying for the tech 2 position (driver and phlebotomy tech) You will get good training to drive the blood bus for your passenger endorsement. Good job for multitaskers or for people who don't like "sitting down on the job". Paid training.

ConsIf you don't like blood or if the idea of sticking people with needles makes you uncomfortable, or if you don't like to do work, this is NOT the job for you. Holidays, and the summer (when school is out) is the slowest time of the year. Be prepared for the day to drag on and on during these times. Pay for techs are in the $11-12's. Training is a good 3 months and you will get paid less per hour until you finish. The best way to make more money is by being a tech 2, which is the blood tech and driver (overtime). Be prepared to not get home on time (eg if a drive ends at 4PM, You might not clock out until like 6). They are very anal about standard operating procedures. In fact, half the time you will be reading a lot of these SOP's. Everything having to be done in a certain way from signing your name, to taking a blood pressure. So if you are coming from another job in the medical field, it can be frustrating to have to learn a lot of stuff over again the way THEY want you to do it. It's understandable in a way, because they are handling blood that is going to be used by people. If one thing is wrong it can get a unit of blood destroyed, but sometimes they go a bit overboard. Drama. There is always going to be drama at any job you go to, but here the drama is way too much. People are quick to report you for any little thing. Lack of communication. Some team leaders treat the new people as If they know everything already and are quick to get them in trouble. Sometimes it felt like people are trying to get you into trouble. Integrity can be lacking, so cover yourself. Dot your I's and cross your T's. People will let you get in trouble for some thing that they did especially if you are new. This job has a HIGH turnout rate. And I think the drama is part of the cause. The Gossiping here is on a whole new level. Everything seemed so professional when I got hired which left me scratching my head is to why the job turned out like this.

Passionate people for a good cause

Human Resources Representative (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsMany employees are there because they are working for a cause. They are passionate about the mission.

ConsSalaries are way below average. Management is paid well but most others, including professionals are compensated poorly. We lose many good employees because our salaries are not competitive. Worst paid are the Techs.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll levels should be paid as if they are appreciated. We all contribute to saving lives from the Techs to the executives.

STBTC has been a wonderful place to work with outstanding support for their employees if a tragic need arises.

Network Security Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly work atmosphere
    Growth
    New products being researched for production
    Continued expansion of IT infrastructure to meet challenges
    On the job training

ConsNot-for-profit status limits promotion
    Not-for-profit status limits scope of introduction of cutting or bleeding edge technologies
    Small staff must do more
    Benefits are not as comprehensive due to size of the organization
    Loss of positions due to attrition may not be filled immediately or at all

Organization lacks leadership with business acumen.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsCompensation was good and good growth opportunities for everyone.

ConsBehind the times to be able to adjust to a down-turned economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed leadership that is business minded and able to get the company through these tough times.

Worked for South Texas Blood & Tissue Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at South Texas Blood & Tissue Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for South Texas Blood & Tissue Center CEO Linda Myers. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by South Texas Blood & Tissue Center employees.