South University

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
3.3

John T. South, III.

Business model revolves around the provision of a quality higher education with excellent service.

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at South University

Pros

Helping people reach their educational and professional goals.

Cons

Fast-paced work environment; work some week nights and weekends

Emphasis on professional development internally.

Great company, sad to see recent negative press

I worked at South University

Pros

Great people, comfortable office space (in Chandler, AZ), lots of opportunity to learn new things. Free tuition if you're taking classes through an EDMC company, which is worth serious money.

Cons

Mediocre pay scale, lack of management training program means many managers are well intentioned but sub-par, heavy government regulation means every phone call is an opportunity to get yourself fired.

State your revenue accurately.

Not a bad company to work with.

Former Employee - Intern in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Savannah, GA

I worked at South University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, every one willing to help and work.

Cons

There were not much cons, just low salary.

Help the employees more to gain more.

Worst place I have worked where upper management degrades others & the company is non-compliant with Title IV funding.

Former Employee - Admissions in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Admissions in Austin, TX

I worked at South University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some good programs and nice building. Enjoyed working with most of the local staff. Pay was okay and benefits were good.

Cons

Title IV regulations state that you can no longer monetarily incentivize admissions staff in recruitment for number of starts. However, the company constantly threatened jobs if numbers were not hit. At one point management wanted all of admissions put on a performance plan even though most of the staff worked very hard. Very hostile work environment from the corporate leadership. I witnessed ridiculing, name calling, degredating emails, constant threats about my job and other's jobs, humiliation, micro-management, and ultimately firing admissions staff for not hitting their numbers. This is a college that primarily cares about profit and secondarily about education.

Realize that certain markets are different than other markets and work with hard working, dedicated employees to make things better. Avoid threatening employees jobs and mistreating them by not verbally abusing them. Lastly, look at all the metrics. Our campus performed much better on most admissions metrics, but was abused for not hitting the overall numbers. The problem was NOT the admissions staff, but local market differences, location, and lead flow.

Great School and Great Work Experience!

I worked at South University

Pros

Great environment with good people. It was my first ever job and I was honored to be part of Student Affairs as a work study. Every department had its different mood and feel which added life to the job. Very friendly workers.

Cons

I can't really think of anything horrible. You have your days when you want to sleep or go home, but that's with any job.

Keep up the good work!

Good Company to Work For

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Savannah, GA

I have been working at South University as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people; diverse student body; faculty treated well. Very willing to hear suggestions, comments, etc. from adjuncts.

Cons

Attrition in staff; salary freezes.

Good job to work for

Current Employee - Janitor in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Janitor in Savannah, GA

I have been working at South University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good folks here when EDMC perks 401K good pay

Cons

Keeping it clean we have PTO

Keep up the good work

okay job for what it is.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

I worked at South University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a relaxed atmosphere at time to a certain extent. The training was good, enjoyed the people I worked with immensely. Good pay and Good benefits.

Cons

Honestly you have unrealistic expectations as to what it is you are supposed to do as an admissions representative. Often times depending on what team you are on greatly influences how you perform. If you are on a team without the leads that another team has you are held to the same standard as them which makes it very hard. The atmosphere of the job could be very tense at times do to the industry and falling stock price.

You are almost expected to get blood out of a stone at times do the variables that are our of your control. Management does not care about this and believes that this is your job to fix this. Management and others listen to EVERY call and you can be written up or even let go if you slip up your wordage once. I understand this practice due to the nature of the business but saw many people just make a simple mistake get in trouble of something they had no idea about.

I never felt secure with my job there as every week someone quit or was let go. I never saw a single person finish their two weeks there in the year I was there. Upper management comes across as very callous and paranoid even yelling at people for wearing "competitors' clothing on school spirit days wear they were encouraged to celebrate their alma maters.

Another weird thing is that the company doesn't "fire" people very often but gives them a month long severance so that they will willingly quit so it shows they didn't fire them.

The job is just a job but don't expect to make a career out of it.

Be more realistic in terms of what you expect from your employees. Reward us with complements not just continue to threaten us by telling us you will find someone else to do it.

Wonderful company, flexible hours, unlimited overtime, low-stress environment.

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions

I have been working at South University full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, work-life balance, benefits (free education), tons of time off, stress-free environment, great co-workers, great pay (have a salary but allowed unlimited overtime).

Cons

Because of restrictions from the government, we are not allowed to make a commission. However, since we do get the unlimited overtime, it doesn't really bother me.

Management is wonderful here. No micro-managers, they truely let you run your own show and trust you will do your job right.

Great people to work with but management needs to work on incorporating business goals into education.

Former Employee - Full-time Faculty, Health Sciences in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Full-time Faculty, Health Sciences in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at South University full-time

Pros

The faculty at the South University campus in West Palm Beach were welcoming and always willing to help out. They were really there to help the students succeed.

Cons

Many decisions about curriculum and scheduling were made with out input from faculty who would be most directly affected. These decisions were often made in Savannah with little consideration for different student populations at other campuses.

Involve faculty from all campuses when making decisions that affect what and how they must teach a course.

South University Photos