Southco Reviews

Work Life Balance Is Good; Some Changes at the Top Would Make Things Better

Current Employee - Manager  in  Concordville, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Concordville, PA

I have been working at Southco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility for work life balance - almost no one works after 5:00; Summer Hours are great; depends on your boss, but most people can flex when needed. Salaries are low, but the total package is good - employee stock program, 401k, benefits.

Cons

Again, salary is lower than I could get elsewhere. but the rest of the compensation makes up for it.

It seems that many of the long-timers hold too much weight. People are afraid to even ask for some things because "so and so" won't like it. Tough to feel innovative and cutting edge when the old-school wins.

I've seen a lot of new people be beaten down and frustrated by this.

Acquisition fever is nice and all, but don't forget your flagship.

Jekyll and Hide Leadership. Focus on wrong metrics. Ineffective middle management. Hypocritical at the top.

I worked at Southco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It used to be a great place to work and there are still some really great people there. I'm afraid I hear more people saying how they need to start looking. Then there will be nothing left.

Cons

Where do I start? Being nickeled and dimed on spending in our department then hearing leadership is having regional sales meetings. (And from what I hear the sales meetings always have more booze and bed sharing then strategy and information sharing.). Or hearing that all the officers and bored members are going to Asia with their spouses on the company dime?

We focus on this rediculous metric - passed due to request when customers are able to request tomorrow when we have a lead time of 6 weeks. Why???

We've been on mandatory overtime for months. Maybe even a year now. I've lost track. And the offices get summer hours.

And the leaders are one day nice and positive the next day scary and demeaning. I've seen more than one co-worker reduced to tears. I have a unique view in having multiple roles here. And I can tell you it's got so much potential but no one seems to care enough to return it to greatness.

Take a look back. You "fixed" what wasn't broke.

It is a great place to work

I have been working at Southco

Pros

Very smart people to work with

Cons

Middle management is a little intrusive

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Ole' Boy's Club

I worked at Southco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

offer training and education assistance

Cons

"good ole' boys club" mentality still in effect, no chance for position other than entry level unless you are part of the "club" When moving up within the company pay scales are about 2/3rds less than if hired into the position from outside.

Maybe time for management to look at themselves instead of their employees for the "problems" within.

My experience with Southco

Former Employee - Machine Set-up/Operator  in  Honeoye Falls, NY
    Former Employee - Machine Set-up/Operator in Honeoye Falls, NY

I worked at Southco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Quality awareness, good people to work with, teamwork among employees, good training

Cons

Becoming cross-trained in many areas, and becoming more educated does not guarantee job security.

stress

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Concordville, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Concordville, PA

I worked at Southco full-time for more than a year

Pros

good shifts - if you finish the work

Cons

No work life balance. If you want to succeed you need to work upwards of 60 hours to stay on top of the work load

Support your employees and work with their weaknesses and strengths

Great Place to Work. Good people.

I worked at Southco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Global connectivity and innovation. Room for growth and learning.

Cons

nothing at this time. nothing at this time.

Glad I left

Former Employee - Design Engineer II  in  Concordville, PA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer II in Concordville, PA

I worked at Southco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was a paycheck until I find another job that was better.

Cons

The company is becoming more and more like the company in the movie "Office Space"

Great CO-OP Opportunity

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer Co-Op  in  Concordville, PA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer Co-Op in Concordville, PA

I worked at Southco as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- a variety of industrial engineering projects
    - excellent mentors
    - supportive team

Cons

- captive fasteners, screws and latches are not the most interesting of products for an engineer

It was good in the beginning

Current Employee - Engineer II  in  Concordville, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Concordville, PA

I have been working at Southco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours are flexible. Updated CAD and business management in the past 5 years to stay with the times. The company is growing, but who knows when the rest of the economy takes off. The campus is beautiful. The love my fellow engineers, manufacturing, and toolroom workers. They are great people next to and learn from. I can't say that for 90% of management.

Cons

If your in the Good Ole Boy Club, you have a shot at getting promoted. Upper management is spending money to take the company in directions I do not like. They just became a Smokeless campus and were told that it help cut our health insurance costs. I do not smoke and my rates for health care doubled because they said the current cost were not sustainable. Then they give out extra money per share for yearly dividends, which cost more then what they saved on hiking the cost of health care up on the employee's. I constantly feel that I am untrained for my job, because there are band-aids on the redundant management websites and things change, but we are made aware of it. The company has become management top heavy.

Focus on your employees more, they are going to be around when the economy recovers and there are jobs else. The brave/smart one will leave first, then the followers. Then you'll have to pay the ones that are left behind more to stay and train those you need to hire. There are redundant websites and management tools in place left over from the good days of Southco. The office spaces are depressing and people only talk within their circles unless they are needed else where, fix that. More on-site job training.

Southco Photos

Worked for Southco? Contribute to the Community!