Southeastern College Reviews

13 reviews filtered by
2.1
CEO

1. OVERALL EVALUATION

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor of Philosophy/Theology in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Southeastern College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A respectable open-enrollment institution. Has grown much over the years. Honestly and always trying to improve in the face of stiff competition. Has potential. Paychecks always on time.

Cons

Erratic, at times ill considered replacement of staff and instructors has too often diminished the quality of SU's education and culture, as stated by students to replaced teachers. Most complaints and occasional disaffection reflect constructive attempts to help, not to tear down. Persons in positions of authority should listen more, and fear less.

Might wish to introduce differentiated pay for quality instructors. Quality is not easily replaceable and market pricing has its downside, as it does not reflect quality, only the numbers game. Might try compacting ten-week terms into one-month intensives, as does some of the competition.

2. A place for transition.

Current Employee - Instructor in Miami Lakes, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Miami Lakes, FL

I have been working at Southeastern College full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, diversity. Tuition reimbursement if you expect to be here two more years after graduation. Great students.

Cons

Small campus, ancient computers, no office space for instructor or program coordinators. No room for professional growth. If you are ambitious in life and want to keep growing, this is not the place. If you love to be in your comfort zone and do the job to keep also your managers in their comfort zone, then this is definitely the place for you.

Take more risks, appreciate the talent. Improve your leadership qualities.

3. Limiting

I have been working at Southeastern College

Pros

Great camaraderie among staff since we are all in the same boat and have the same opinion of our employer.

Cons

Pay stinks
    It's all about the money making and not about producing a quality product
    They require an entrance exam but still make allowances for those students who can't pass it
    They will not let you fail a student - they call it retention but we know it's all about keeping the money coming in
    They do not keep their hiring promises about annual reviews and raises
    They won't let us market our campus and then complain because we have no students applying

Listen to your education staff. We are the ones that really know what is going on and can help you turn things around.

Admissions Coordinator

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Columbia, SC

I worked at Southeastern College full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Worst Job Ever! Good news is you get to leave when you are scheduled. No one wants to come early or stay late, so trust you'll be ready to go!

Cons

No work/life balance. You work 6 days a week! Mandatory Saturday's or they whine when you can't come. For what?! It's not that serious. Pay is awful and micro management is an understatement! Awful experience.

6. Teaching students at Southeastern college was a great experience for me.

Former Employee - Surgical Technologist Instructor in Miami Lakes, FL
    Former Employee - Surgical Technologist Instructor in Miami Lakes, FL

I worked at Southeastern College full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One of the most positive aspects of this job was to have the freedom to teach students everything I have learned throughout my career.

Cons

The challenges at this facility was that managers of the school were lacking leadership.

My Advice to this problem is to create a system where the school can be respected and as competitive as the surrounding colleges.

Micromanagement is the Norm

Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Southeastern College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros:
    The work location is ideal (centrally located, near major expressways and bridges). The work environment is clean and the employes and instructors are friendly.

Cons

Cons:
    1. Extreme micromanagement
    2. Misleading job description for Admissions Coordinator - this is a sales job. Weekly and monthly enrollment (sales) goals must be achieved. However, this is not mentioned in the job description and it is shunned during training.
    3. Negative reinforcement

Believe in your coordinators. They went through an extensive hiring process so they should not have to endure extreme micromanagement (monitoring calls, messages and meetings). If a coordinator is given breathing room, they will be more confident and feel more comfortable in their job. This translates into a happier coordinator, which is something a prospective student will notice during their interview. In the end, this may result in more enrollments because students are more likely to enroll with a happy coordinator than with a "stressed-out" coordinator.

Becareful about working here

Former Employee - Instructor in Greenacres, FL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Greenacres, FL

I worked at Southeastern College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful students. They cater lunch on occasion and the dean is great to work with.

Cons

This company pays below average and over works salaried employees. The benefits program they use is too high and not worth the money.

Don't be so afraid to make changes that need to be made within certain departments. Hold a townhall meeting so students feel free to discuss their concerns.

Too much turnover

I have been working at Southeastern College full-time

Pros

ok benefits, stability, good reviews, great co workers

Cons

low pay, no room for advancement, do 5 jobs outside of your daily position

Management is rude, disrespectful and unapproachable

Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Southeastern College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with instructors, admissions coordinators and people from different departments was great....helping students was very rewarding.

Cons

First: The management is drunk on power, condescending, disrespectful, rude, unapproachable and has fostered a climate of mistrust and high stress/anxiety. Second: Students are forces to get private loans, and that is even if they are qualified to max out on Pell grants and Stafford loans.

None, because they hired a VP who clearly has no humility, no outstanding leadership qualities, and no empathy towards others. I feel bad for all employees and students who are involved in this school.

School has a significant problem of nursing retention

I worked at Southeastern College

Pros

There are no pros at the school!

Cons

Management sucks! They do not value all their employees. Pay is horrible!

Learn how to talk to your people and offer encouragement and constructive criticism rather than fault finding and raw criticism