Southern Air

Add Photos

Southern Air CEO Dan McHugh

Dan McHugh

Finding its feet

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany is growing, and has ambitious goals.

ConsStingy for small beneficial expenditures, while extravagant for superficial statement. Not employee minded.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Too much upper management

Operations (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsThe company had many diverse customers, they continued to grow. Attempted to meet the customer demands on last min schedule changes.

ConsToo much upper management, and the upper management did not communicate their goals or plans to everyone else. Some managers would talk poorly about their own department and employees. Upper management would stay as disconnected to other staff as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate!

Good people

Aircraft Inspection (Current Employee)

Prosnot pro-active always one step behind.

Constrying to save money by farming out a/c records a/c inspection next a/c parts. parts by hour
    is going to be very costly.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is good smart people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some good and some bad, neutral overall

Operations (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood chance to travel around the globe and seek experience with the job

ConsA bit of discrimination especially towards Asian continent employees

Big Ideas, Bad Execution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsSmall company, opportunity to learn a lot and wear many hats. Some excellent staff who, in my opinion, were carrying the airline on their backs.

ConsTreated future employees better than current employees-always a bad sign. Disconnect between senior management/headquarters/finance and line level leaders.

Lack of respect Global Company

Technical (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsStrong industry - Global Air Cargo service provider with 60+ years of experience - cargo services from Flag Carriers, Charter Brokers...and Government continuous to place Southern Air on the SKY

ConsExperiences with Executive Leader at Southern Air and the Lack of respect shown for ALL PEOPLE inexcusable, extending bad behavior to minorities and women

Advice to Senior ManagementDemand executives to practice and learn / read and honor Southern Air Company Mission and Vision respect for the/all Individuals enforce GLOBAL diversity understanding and respect

Avoid this company

Service (Current Employee) Lynchburg, VA

ProsGood work hours. Employee's are friendly.

ConsThe management in the offices are always gossiping about each other. In turn the person they are gossiping about get's fired. Yes, fired. No job security and if you are a female you will not be promoted. They have raise freezes for years. If you are hired, ask for a salary you can live on for 3+ years.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpty out your entire office and start over. That's including your President and VP.

Pilot job at Southern Air Inc.

Pilot (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsWorldwide travel, flying some of the most desirable aircraft ever made for cargo transport. Great pilots, mechanics and ramp employees.

ConsManagement is too concerned about moving aircraft with very little regard for overall safety of crew. Management uses heavy handed tactics to intimidate crew and personnel to keep aircraft flying.

Advice to Senior ManagementCrews are always motivated to move aircraft. We understand the business model of our chosen careers. However this is not at the expense of our safety and the general publics safety. Listen to your crews and remove all barriers for safe and efficient operations.

Southern Air is a typical cargo ACMI airline with growth potential but a poor overall work environment.

Flight Crew (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsWorldwide travel is a great benefit. A great crew force and union make working at Southern Air possible. A great training department is also a great asset.

ConsManagement looks down upon the crew force. The management uses intimidation and retaliates often with aircrew. Talk only with union reps about safety and FAA issues before notifying company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your mechanics and aircrew as they are the ones on the line flying and completing the mission daily.

Worked for Southern Air? Contribute to the Community!