Southern California Edison

Southern California Edison Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Southern California Edison President Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Pros:
  • "Benefits are fairly good, work/life balance is manageable, meet a lot of good people"
    in 30 reviews
  • "This company offers good benefits and some longevity if in the right department"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Not a great environment from upper/senior management"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a good place to work

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe salary and benefits are very good. Most of the managers want to see you do well and be successful in your job. There are many processes in place that allow for a healthy check and balance of the work place. Generally, most people are friendly and helpful.

ConsThere is a lot of red tape. It is very difficult to get approval and then you get dinged for taking too long to get approvals. Although there are budgets for personal development there isn't any time, so you end up not taking advantage of it because management doesn't work with you to make it happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management may want to think about adopting a company wide management style or philosophy. There would be happier employees if there was company wide consistency. Generally it is a very good company except for those pockets that bring everyone down.

Excellent company with great pay, benefits, and good management.

Technical Specialist IV (Former Employee)
San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWhile I would not call it a family oriented organization, the management I worked with was always respectful and treated their employees well. The pay was excellent for the work required, as were the benefits. The work can be very rewarding, and I thoroughly enjoyed my job.

My supervision only accepted work done right and was always striving to excel in the industry. Always willing to listen and take action where warranted, management conveyed a sense of trust, at least in the engineering department where I spent my most recent time.

ConsAs a large company, the family feel that used to be the rule in SCE is no longer there. EIX (the parent company of SCE) is a business first. Since the electrical power production industry no longer guarantees that the utility will make a profit, that is probably necessary. However, if the worker isn't fortunate enough to get a good supervisor (not all are stellar) then SCE can become very impersonal. Sometimes there can be a riff between management and represented personnel, but overall I found the company willing to work with its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to your supervisors and management to ensure they are representing the company with the values that are presented to every employee. The fact that a supervisor has worked for the company for many years doesn't necessarily make them a good supervisor or manager. Promote those that deserve it and show the leadership skills desired in a good supervisor or manager.

Dumb and Dumber

Manager (Current Employee)
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent pay and good benefits.

ConsMost of mid-level management is homegrown with little or no formal training or education making them ill equipped to move the company forward and manage individuals effectively.
The company is stuck in the way they have always done business and is not open to new ideas or business models.
Managers are so ill equipped that they are unable to identify skills of employees and leverage them for progress. They are unable to provide meaningful mentorship and feedback for growth.
If you are just starting your career this is not your company, they will stifle you growth and creativity and you will lose your enthusiasm and drive when it is stiffed by the ignorance of those that manage you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't fear innovation or the future!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learned that management lacks leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern California Edison

ProsGood benefits for full time employees

ConsManagement lacks leadership and integrity!

Advice to Senior ManagementGood ole boys mentality needs to stop, after all, this is Los Angeles, CA - melting pot of a diverse society.

Mediocrity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe pay was higher than many other places.

ConsThe culture is reprehensible but can be salvaged if leaders are held accountable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a manager doesn't make you a leader.

Leadership is setting the wrong tone.

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople work very hard to do the right thing, but lack management support.

ConsLeadership is driving out the good people and keeping those that are out only for themselves. Company has lost its team and is only in the me business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake classes in how to motivate employees along with getting them to work as a team. Remember that leadership cast a large shadow!

GBelRRed

Instructional Designer (Former Employee)
Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as a contractor for more than a year

ProsCompany culture is great within most departments; employees helpful and friendly towards one another. Overtime pays decent for contractors. Benefits for FT are great. Very inclusive environment.

ConsIT holds every project hostage; nothing ever drops on time and when it does, significant workarounds are usually necessary.

Many departments have management who are in their positions because of seniority. Doesn't mean they know anything about what goes on in their department or how to run things. Unfortunately these people will be your "SMEs".

Management sets tight timelines. IT often delays the project or implements key components days before go live, which makes it a nightmare for IDs to document. Long nights and working weekends and on holidays right before deployments is common.

IT parses out information selectively and defensively. If you discover a glitch, be prepared to fight to make it known to get it addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRein in IT and then get them more help so they have the manpower to accomplish the aggressive implementation schedules senior management insists upon.

Join another company. Your talents will be better appreciated.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSCE is at the end of its life cycle as a business. If you are comfortable working for an old school company that's command and control, SCE is the place for you.

ConsThe business units are heavily siloed. Old ways of doing business here that are not competitive. Top heavy with management. You will not be able to use your skills here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have not been able to solve your management problems. Your guiding principle of respecting employees "giving them a square deal" has been ignored.

Mismanagement of San Onofre Nuclear Generation Station

Designer (Former Employee)
San Onofre, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy Office was right on the Beach. Wonderful personal relationships with my Co-Workers. Great Benefits. Both a 401K and a Pension Plan. I was always given the best CAD System to draw on.

ConsImmediate Boss was the worst I've had in 40 years in the business. Upper Level Management or lack thereof cut corners Design and manufacture of two Nuclear Assemblies which caused the Plant to close prematurely costing over 1500 hard working people their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompletely out of touch with the sacrifice that the workers when through as they let a 40 year Institution crumble due to their greed and incompetence. No one likes to be lied to and they did it to our face every time the spoke to us as a group. I left a great job on the insistence of an Edison recruiter, that I would have a place to work until I retired, SONGS was in the ditch with everyone losing their job in just four years. Take the time, one on one to talk to the people that define your position, without them you don't deserve to have that position. Do not rule through intimidation, everyone just wants a job that they can go to and be proud of, and be treated with a sense of fairness and respect.

Great Company to begin Career

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee)
Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company to begin career. Flexible work schedules, educational reimbursement, great benefits for individuals and family. Been working at SCE for 6 years.

ConsNo room for upward mobility.
Too many silos among organizations.
Upper management seldom sees the big picture

Worked for Southern California Edison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southern California Edison reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southern California Edison CEO Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger. All 288 reviews posted anonymously by Southern California Edison employees.