Southern California Edison

Southern California Edison Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Southern California Edison President Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Pros:
  • "Company has great work-life balance, usually many opportunities to volunteer"
    in 33 reviews
  • "This company offers good benefits and some longevity if in the right department"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not a great environment from upper/senior management"
    in 13 reviews
  • "GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Laid off employees to redecorate HQ

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Rosemead, CA

ProsUsed to be a great place to work for. Salary used to be competitive. People used to be friendly and hopeful. Management used to respect the law and their employees.

ConsCompany just laid off thousands of people, shut down the nuclear plants and used the $36 million to .... redecorate the HQ in Rosemead. The atmosphere is toxic and disgusting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is dying and you are the cause. Get a clue and figure this one out.

My Experience with SCE

Planner I (Current Employee)
    Rosemead, CA

ProsGreat benefits. Good pay. A lot of opportunities.

ConsMandatory overtime. Ongoing changes in job responsibilities.

Advice to Senior Management20% indefinite mandatory overtime for Planners with creates difficulties in keeping a work/life balance. Planner $$ values, performance metrics and trend toward micromanagement brings down morale. Consultants can sit with us for a few days but they will never understand the true scope of a Planners job. Operational minimum was eliminated for Planner 2's which used to be a desirable job. Now most Planner 1's have no motivation to become Planner 2's (exempt w/ higher title & a couple dollars an hour more pay is not appealing). Planning Supervisors who have been Planners are the best input on how to improve the overall Planning department, not consultants.

SUGGESTION: Planner 1's who are interested in becoming Planner 2's should be allowed to test for the position or become upgraded after a few years just as Designer 1's are upgraded to Designer 2's. The pay won't change much so an upgrade shouldn't hurt. If they are knowledgeable, they probably deserve it anyways. Most Planner 1's do a significant portion of Planner 2 work anyways.

IT Project

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Rosemead, CA

ProsThere is no Pros within the company anymore

Cons1. Company is ready to reduce the full time / permanent workforce to the lowest level by out-sourcing "non-essential" function.
    2. Company is out-sourcing IT to off-shore because senior managements want boost their compensations and move the company stock higher
    3. There is no accountability at all within entire company. You can make huge errors and no one will get fired. Smart / Good employees already left ....

Advice to Senior ManagementStop waste money on the technologies which does not work. like FlexPod / NAS / UCS / FCoE.
    SCE does not need high-paid Architects which does not know anything about REAL Works.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management is a big problem

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Rosemead, CA

ProsPay, benefits, some co-workers, some locations

ConsThe company is not the same, middle and senior management are on a rampage promoting their favorites, and laying off or ignoring the hard working. It doesn't matter how much you know or how hard you work, it's all about who you know. If you want to get ahead here, you had better know the right people. The company made big mistakes at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating station, which lead to it's closure. All those employees were let go. Human Resources, Customer Service, and IT are all laying off also, and it's not just 10 people. If you're starting your career, this is not the place to be….think before you apply here. If you don't mind getting overlooked for someone less qualified because they know someone here, then you'll be fine. But if you're ambitious, seek growth, and want to promote, run. Your hard work will be appreciated somewhere else. Employees tried to tell the leaders the treatment they received from managers, and those employees were laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they don't listen anyways.

Terrible Management

ProsGreat Benefits, Great Co workers

ConsThey screw over hard working employees and promote the mediocre.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink before you make some of the decisions you make.

My experience at Southern California Edison was very positive and fullfilling for the most part.

Telephone Operator (Former Employee)
    Rosemead, CA

ProsIn my experience, supervisors and managers genuinely looked out for me and always supported me in taking opportunities to better my skills through training classes or any other type of network event taking place at Edison.

ConsUnfortunately, I was part of a Union. In my group, people with seniority were very self righteous, lacked respect for their job and rules, they were lazy, and often times practiced lack of integrity. Edison's hands are tied when it comes to union folks, and unfortunately the hard working people with the least seniority are the first to go during a RIFT.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop fearing union employees with an abundance of seniority years, just because they threaten to file grievances everytime they don't get their way. It's their way of throwing tantrums, and it works!

It's all good until the new upper management decided to out-source jobs

Application Developer (Current Employee)
    Rosemead, CA

ProsGood benefit, friendly people, everyone is willing to help each others. Lower management take care of their people.

ConsThe new upper management decided to out-source (Managed Service) the entire IT and thinking that could save some money, soon will realize they are making huge mistake when they receive the bill from the vendor. Vendor's revenue is mostly from "changed request" where every little modification/request will burn a hole in your wallet.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't fall into the sales pitch and sell the entire IT. You guys should integrate the IT with Business and be a leader in this industry, not follower.

This is the one of the most Racist company I have worked at.

Desktop Engineer (Former Employee)
    Irwindale, CA

ProsThe money was good, but as a African-American, I hated being there each and every day in the 'Computer Lab'

ConsIf you're African-American in the IT department.... Watch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify with more minorities, and give them opportunity to talk and discuss in meetings, instead of knowing 'they' better be quiet.

Good

ProsGood job and stuff to do

ConsBad decision by management sometimes

Yo don't want to work there

Technical Specialist III (Former Employee)
    Brea, CA

ProsGood benefits if you work there long enough.

ConsGoing through Reduction in Force, the are laying people off left & right. Letting the good workers go and keeping the lazy ones!

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the people that do the work and let the working people review their suoervisors

Worked for Southern California Edison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southern California Edison reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southern California Edison CEO Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger. All 319 reviews posted anonymously by Southern California Edison employees.