Southern California Edison Reviews

Reset
2.9
Southern California Edison CEO Pedro Pizarro
Pedro Pizarro

Pros
  • Work life balance is good in general depending on which department you are with (in 41 reviews)

• Good benefits but for managers' favorites only (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management want to outsourcing american's job to offshore companies because they can and been awarding many bonus / stocks from share holder (in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance sometimes lean towards work (in 8 reviews)

1. Information Technology Specialist

Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist III in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist III in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An industry leader and technology advocate

Cons

Much of IT been outsourced

Advice to Management

Keep employees with internal business and system knowledge.

Not what it used to be. Not what it should be. Not what it could be.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been here for some great years It has been a quality place to work for most of my time here. Work-Life balance was important and respected. Edison had almost a family feel. I worked with friends not just coworkers. Employees were valued and listened to. Customers were important. Doing the right thing was rewarded. Empowerment was given and supported. Compensation is solid.

Cons

Many of the Pros have gradually slipped away. Empowerment lost out to Compliance. JD Powers ranking wins over customer care. Make Goal at all costs! We were told that our coworkers were NOT our friends. Your coworkers would turn you in if it came to that. The close, family feel is mostly gone. Now we fill out surveys so upper management can hire the next consultant to determine what is going on. Employees are afraid to speak up and say what's really going on. I probably should not submit this...

Advice to Management

Use fewer consultants and get out and listen to what customers and employees are saying. Managers are drinking the Kool Aid to survive. They aren't allowed the time to represent the front ranks.

Systems Analyst 3

Former Employee - Systems Analyst III in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great place to learn new technology. Really great workforce, very talented and hard working.

Cons

Management does not recognize staff as the resource that it is but rather as pawns to be manipulated in any way to fatten the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Loyalty is a two-way street; the inability or failure to recognize the great contributions made daily by staff will undoubtedly undermine the success of this organization in the long run. Nepotism and cronyism are rampant. Entire families work for SCE and help each other promote.

5. Great Management

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Irwindale, CA

Pros

The project manager I've worked with has been very impressive. She is a seasoned pro with a very personable approach.

Cons

You work when there are projects available. If not, not work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I think you are fantastic!

Too many contractors. Lazy long term employees

Former Contractor - IT Manager in Irwindale, CA
    Former Contractor - IT Manager in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Easy for people who don't want any career growth and get a very good paycheck doing less work

Cons

Lot of long term employees who are paid too much for the quality of work they contribute. They laid off some employees and then ended up bring them onboard as sub contractors. lol :) How dumb can the process be. So now you have a major IT vendor who charges you more for the same work.

Advice to Management

Try to make sure resource management is optimum. Offshore non client side facing work and keep key resources onsite. Train the right people and let go of any middle management overheads.

Bloated and fat

Former Employee - Systems Analyst III in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison (More than 3 years)

Pros

Southern California Edison has many, many great perks for its employees. Bonuses at non-management levels, health per diem, numerous affinity groups geared towards minorities and special interests, 401K matching, etc. It's a fairly comfortable place to work with some great people to work with. Work load, pressures, and stresses were very low at least while I was employed there. In the three years I worked for Edison, I think I put in one day of overtime. I can't even recall why I stayed late that day. The company, at least outward facing, stresses work-life balance, and it's evident in the work load.

Cons

The overall professional culture at SCE is very dysfunctional. The hierarchical structure, and there are A LOT of layers, is overt and does form separations of rank and position. In my opinion from observation is that relationships amongst its employees (managers or otherwise) seem to matter more than capabilities. The organization is very fat and slow in not just the head count of employees but the business processes which govern the work, the layers of bureaucratic red tape, and glad handing that needs to occur. Managers often are more concerned with empire building than keeping agile and effective, often back filling positions whether the head count is needed or not. While employed with SCE, I often had stints of time where I had very little to do. My work was very focused and didn't allow for much outside of my responsibilities. The work was not very rewarding. And at least in my department, there wasn't much offered for professional growth. Because of the nature of how SCE is funded, via state funding, it fosters an environment not focused on efficiency. Often it is beneficial to spend more because it provides a platform for when the GRC (General Rate Case) is developed to request more and more money from the state.

Advice to Management

Advice to executives and managers alike at SCE is to keep things lean where possible. Empire building can't be the focus for a business that requires outside funding and where public scrutinization is ever present. I know cost-cutting has been a focus for SCE in recent years (e.g. IT has been outsourced) but I'd be lying if I didn't think moves such as these were made to preserve the clout and monetary benefits the upper management have come to expect, and maybe rely on personally.

IT Business Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Edison has good pay and good benefits. One of the last places at offers a pension and 1for1 401 contribution. Many different locations to transfer to, if you want to change jobs after the 18mo residency.

Cons

IT right now is a disaster, outsourced, and the rest of the company is suffering as a result. Lots of nepotism. Saw alot of good employees let go, people were released not by their skill set, but its a who you know environment. Mgrs are a mess with very little mgmt experience or ones who dont really care. Their answer to the shooting was to outsource, which is proving to be a bad decision. They should have retrained their mgmt team instead of outsourcing. Ultimately CEOs fault for not paying attention to what was going on or for allowing a bad plan to be enacted.

Advice to Management

Learn to plan and budget. To this day, managers still dont know how much projects costs or know how to plan. Take some planning classes for goodness sake! Pedro, how you can you let IT outsource and have no plan for fixing their problems? They believed infosys & TCS hook-line&sinker and this is why the company is suffering. IT should be monitoring these consultants and IT is letting them self monitor!

Lost cause

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irwindale, CA

Pros

In general, good and some talented people, but management is clueless

Cons

Too process heavy with poor direction for the future. Management is incompetent and too self-serving creating a disconnected work environment.

Advice to Management

Streamline processes and then implement systems to support those processes. Processes need a major overhaul, don't implement systems to work with current broken processes.

IT has changed a lot and not for the better. No room for growth.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Depending on your department and manager, they may do a lot and help you with your career path. Work-life balance is a joke! IT is not the place to be for work-life balance.

Cons

There is no communication within the company. There are communication at the higher and public level. In regards to changes within organizations, there is always a hesitation. There is no collaboration within the organizations.

All talk, all bull

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, benefits are good, work pace is very lax. If you are a handsome white guy or girl with the gift of gab, you will go far.

Cons

Nepotism and favoritism is so rampant, it's utterly discouraging. Hiring, firing, reward and punishment is who you know (and who you...you know the rest). There are so many examples I could cite, it would fill a few pages. Many years ago, an employee went on a shooting rampage and the company hired a 3rd party firm to randomly sample employees within that organization to "tell the truth". The study was released company wide and the results mirror my first sentence. A majority of the problem management were eliminated, but some managers who should've been cut are still in management positions today (some even higher). The company also has decimated the IT organization as of Dec 2014. Another 3rd round of layoffs expected. The core organization known as Transmission and Distribution will also be subject to cuts in the next two years. The company's mishandling of the SONGS nuclear power generation unit as well as its well documented mishandling of the wind storm several years ago paved the way for these recent layoffs. Meanwhile, executive compensation continues to rise as does the way the manager's bonus incentive plan is calculated.

Advice to Management

Cut it with your preachy b.s. nonsense about Core Values. Realize that most of the rank and file recognize that hiring, firing, reward, and punishment is based solely on who you know. Be real. If you want us to give you feedback, take it to the next level: involve us in the decision making because you all know who the problem managers are, just get rid of them.

RSS Feed </> Embed