Southern California Edison Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Southern California Edison CEO Pedro Pizarro
Pedro Pizarro

Pros
  • Work life balance is good in general depending on which department you are with (in 41 reviews)

• Good benefits but for managers' favorites only (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management want to outsourcing american's job to offshore companies because they can and been awarding many bonus / stocks from share holder (in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance sometimes lean towards work (in 8 reviews)

Drastic Changes

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Benefits Vacation Time Compared to the economy Edison compensates above average

Cons

Locations are going East Top Heavy Nepotism Not a lot of Diversity Laying off

Advice to Management

I get it, you are downsizing Edison to save the company in the future, but why not cut salaries and bonuses from Executives. They still maintain the same pay and are still getting increases. It's too top heavy. Most departments have 3 Supervisors, Sup1,2 &3, then 3 Managers, Manager 1,2,& 3 a Director a VP a senior VP. Mind they all are making 6 to 7 figures.

2. If you're okay with the dealing with the corporate grind, SCE might be for you.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

1.) Better pay than most other companies. 2.) Great benefits including long vacation time if you stay there a long time and a pension (which is rare for a private company). 3.) 25% off utility bill 4.) $5,000 a year educational reimbursement 5.) Transfer opportunities to locations closer to home.

Cons

1.) Lots of layoffs and cutbacks. 2.) Upper management doesn't seem to care about employees, as long as it saves the company money.

Advice to Management

They should stop being so cheap just for the sake of raising their stock prices. I agree that we should keep our overhead low so that we can provide customers with the most competitive rates, but the current situation isn't sustainable.

3. Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Edison is an amazing place to work

Cons

Your not allowed to work over time

Cost Estimator Specialist 3

Former Employee - Cost Estimator Tech Specialist III in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Cost Estimator Tech Specialist III in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Great place to work for, in every respect. Great Salary good systems, good environment.

Cons

Management too focused on Stock prices than anything else. Incredible waste in resource allocation.

Financial Analyst

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

SCE is still a great place to work when you're not constantly comparing to how things used to be. Compare to other employers and you will still find great things at SCE, including: - medical benefits - 401(k) - above-market salaries - employee programs - work-life balance - results-sharing - annual merit increases - company-wide growth opportunities - generous severance in reorgs

Cons

The Company is going through massive reorganization efforts to better position themself competitively. It can be very challenging to work in this type of environment. Business processes are in flux and management is breaking new ground. As a result, non-management working professionals are burdened with heavy workloads and multiple competing priorities with overlapping deadlines on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Choose win-win solutions over win-lose every time. It is possible.

Time to go.

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good people that care about their work and the company. We are actually contributing to the community by providing electricity, a vital resource to society.

Cons

Operational excellence (OpX) means layoffs. If you are thinking about coming to work here, please reconsider. Layoffs are happening throughout the company as our leaders prepare for major changes in our industry.

Advice to Management

You are doing what is necessary to keep this relic of a company alive. I only hope that as you sign off on all these layoffs you take into consideration your own situation. Will you make any concessions as others in the company are being shown the door? Also, as you go through this OpX exercise, please take a close look at all employees. Some of the most incompetent employees are directors and VP's not to mention managers.

8. Great time to join SCE!

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Salaries are above average and work life balance is encouraged. The company is going through drastic changes to be prepared for the future and if well positioned could operate like a tech company. The new CEO has a forward thinking vision. I know many old timers gripe and moan about the company, but they are out of touch of what other companies are like and that they have it good. These negative attitudes are starting to see the light or move on...

Cons

Still some old mentalities that make your job more difficult

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and make sure visionaries and outside the box thinkers are rewarded, and not the old guard people that only manage up.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

Good benefits and opportunities for training and credential advancement.

Cons

Upward career advancement is a difficult process

Advice to Management

Change the process for upgrading employees in current positions to allow for professional advancement within the same division.

10. Changing Organization

Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many smart people. If you surround yourself around these individuals you will definitely learn a lot. And can succeed.

Cons

There is a lot of politics. There is a lot of deadwood there. The organization is always changing because of technological advancements, but that is business. There are many that work hard and then there are the others that take advantage and don't add value to the organization one bit. Usually you can spot once they open their mouth.

Advice to Management

Hire for talent not for tenure. Not every manager deserves to manage. Not everyone in a leadership position is a leader.

The ONLY Review You Need To Read.

Current Employee - Front-line Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Front-line Manager in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Let's be honest. The benefits/compensation account for 1 of the 2 stars I gave them. They are 10-15% (some cases, 25%) higher in compensation than most any other company (forget industry alone). However, senior management knows that too. In the company, it's called the golden handcuffs. Guess what? You want to find another entry level "Analyst" position that pays 65-70k + 8% bonus!? ha! good luck. Don't believe me, just validate that with Glassdoor. So what heppens is that then people become entitled. This is also with the executives who get bound to a company solely because they are not competent nor accomplished enough to work elsewhere in a similar capacity. I don't know many non-tech companies that pay Senior Project Managers north of $120k + 15% bonuses. Sure, I love the paycheck, but I am now learning there is more to life than dollars and cents. Trust me. Or don't, come and work here, be overpaid, and hate your job/life. I myself am looking and luckily, I can take a 15-20% paycut and not lose my home; but at least I can work for a company that I believe in and am proud to work for. The second star is for the fact that you can literally never get fired here. You literally have to lie, cheat, steal, or hit someone to possibly be considered for a suspension. You may say, great! That's awesome news, job security. Well guess what, every company, large or small hires a few knuckleheads or lazy people right? Well, extrapolate that for a Fortune 500 company like SCE and you get a LOT. To add insult to injury, overpay them too so they'll never leave. This company is so scared of lawsuits and terminations, that they do not get rid of underperforming or incompetent employees. They will either slap them on the hand and say never ever do that again or move them to a menial job so they'll quit on their own, or worse, promote them. Okay, stop laughing...it's true! In summary, good pay/benefits although given how they recently stuck it to the Union, we'll end up getting what they get, so it's unlikely the benefits are staying. With bonuses, we have little control so it truly is hit or miss, so most smart employees don't plan on ever getting one. Whatever you get, you get.

Cons

Where do I start? Well, let's talk culture/values/ethics. There is a lot of posters, talks from executives, and emails about how important the values are for edison. Publicly available, our values are supposed to be Integrity, Continuous Improvement, Teamwork, Respect, and Excellence. The big issue I have is with Integrity. We have a huge Ethics and Compliance Code and department that investigates issues and concerns. I have seen countless occasions where employees are let off the hook (namely senior managers/executives) for inappropriate behavior, remarks, you name it. Clearly, I can't cite specifics on Glassdoor, however, the integrity here is absolutely non-existent, from the HR group to the executives. I heard of a work location where a manager was creating a terrible work environment with employees having examples and witnesses to various incidents. What happened? You guessed it, absolutely nothing. That manager as of this review, is still there. Have we really learned from Rivergrade? Aside from them not doing anything, I honestly, cannot work for a company that believes in fostering a negative work environment where 80%+ employees despise coming into the office. It's one thing if executive management/HR didn't know, but it's horrible to think that they do know and choose not to do anything about it. That to me, is the worst thing you can do. Don't even get me started on their "Annual Performance Reviews"...picture a perfect Bell Curve. 80% of employees MUST fall into the middle rating of a C-/C/C+. 10% must get NI's (Needs Improvement) and 10% will get E's. They have calibration which should be to ensure that two folks in two locations with the same job title are consistently rated. Instead as you move up the food chain, it becomes a "macho man" match on who can put their employees in the 10% and god forbid we actually do have an "E" employee. Typical responses include: "Too bad, we already have 10% of E's, so they only get a C+ regardless of if they really do deserve an E." And when you try to defend with specific accomplishments, the response is: "That's part of their job, so no E!" haha! Really? You must literally walk on water to even get a C+ and the bell curve is unspoken of and denied at the upper levels, but it lives. Oh and pull up a job listing, see that line: "Performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned."? Yeah, you can thank HR's legal team for throwing that nice nugget in there. So that said, if we honor that, how can an employee ever go "above and beyond"? They can't because everything falls into your job description. Let that sink in for a minute. Got it? Okay, so we all feel like a mouse on a wheel and they are dangling an E in front of us. To the employees and recent employees who read this: Know that you're not alone and remember what your purpose and passion is in life. Respect yourself and know the company you work for. Red tape and bureaucracy is everywhere, but when things go bad, ask yourself why and what the company is doing about it. Be grateful for what you have but we need to break free from the golden handcuffs and realize that while money is important to live and provide for our families, it should never be the sole reason to work yourself to the bone. It's not worth it and soon this company will be left with the folks they chose not to deal with and will realize where their best talent went.

Advice to Management

Operational Excellence (OpX as it's infamously known) is here. Let's talk IT outsourcing. Now, as executives, I'm sure you all ran the numbers on the millions you think you are saving, but let me advise you from the actual folks working the front lines and need that IT team you "reduced." We call, we get India. Okay, so they got smart, instead of india, let's send them to some american guy in Cincinnati who has ZERO idea of any of the applications we use...but at least they're understandable.Now, no knock on Tata of India, they're doing what they do to make money off US companies like SCE, so respect to them, but I really wonder if our CIO said, hmmm, we're saving $X millions of dollars, great! My boss is going to love this, but wait, let me do some research on how much additional time AND productivity lost will cost me by going offshore. 15 minutes here, 15minutes there, given our grandiose hourly rates, they start adding up doesn't it? I've literally spent 2 hours on phone calls with IT within the first week of the transition. Conservatively, assume an avg hourly rate of $30/hr (some make more, some make less), that's $60 spent (more with benefits etc), plus the lost productivity of those 2 hours. Now, assume 80% of our 14,000 employees experienced the same time loss. I'm no math whiz, but that's $672,000 in wasted wages plus some other cost of lost productivity. I just cut into your "millions" in savings in 1 week. ouch. Now a few months into it, I wonder what that number is no? Like someone else said, I give it about 2-3 years before we start hiring back the same IT staff we let go. Now to the C-level stuff. Let me try and open your minds a bit. The traditional utility model as we know it is evaporating and think everyone in the C-Suite and VP-level can agree with that statement. Yet our company continues to email us directives and decisions based on "benchmarking data with other similarly sized utilities across the country." Now, I don't have a degree from MIT, CalTech, or Harvard, nor did I work for McKinsey or Bain so bear with my simple mind: Why do we continue to compare ourselves to a company in an industry that we all agree is becoming obsolete? For the simple folk, it's similar to if Circuit City benchmarked themselves against Best Buy rather than Amazon--and we all know what happened to Circuit City. We should be benchmarking ourselves against the companies set out to disrupt the energy market as we know it and other major companies that are taking our customers off the grid and eliminating ANY need for a utility. In summary, don't be a Circuit City.

RSS Feed </> Embed