Southern California Edison Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Southern California Edison CEO Pedro Pizarro
Pedro Pizarro

Pros
  • Work life balance is good in general depending on which department you are with (in 41 reviews)

• Good benefits but for managers' favorites only (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management want to outsourcing american's job to offshore companies because they can and been awarding many bonus / stocks from share holder (in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance sometimes lean towards work (in 8 reviews)

1. Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

Old school company and old school benefits (pension, 401(k) matching) and good health insurance.

Cons

Management heavy. Too much HR red tape for annual reviews.

Company in flux

Current Employee - Corporate Representative in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Representative in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SCE has excellent benefits. There use to be a lot of room to move around the company; however, the company is reorganizing in order to better compete in a changing business climate. This has significantly reduced the number of opportunities to move around. I have witnessed that exceptionally high performers will be kept, moved around the company and promoted, which is great. The work is very intellectually challenging and interesting. I have been fortunate enough to be in a group with really great management.

Cons

SCE is going through a major cultural shift. There is still a huge portion of the employees and management that are used to the old way of doing things. They are used to slow, incremental change. An environment where the customer has no choice. Paralysis by analysis is still very common at the company.

Advice to Management

In the rush to become more cost competitive, I'm concerned there will be an over reliance on out-sourcing. I'm afraid the pendulum will swing to far toward out-sourcing and in a few years there will be a huge push to bring back certain functions in house. There already has been a huge debacle with the down sizing and outsourcing of the IT department.

3. Manager 1

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Overall lots of opportunity initally

Cons

Management touts need to change culture but then claims 120 years culture as a proud fact.
    A lot of politics and poor management practices - they have lost concern for employees that was one of their best strengths; not it is just profit. Too many layers of management.

Advice to Management

Forget being politically correct and move to transformational management. Return to real concern for employees. Less offshore work would help also as well as hiring citizens. Many methodologies touted but not actually used. Process improvement should be a major effort by people that can actually do it as opposed to many junior folks that do not have a clue.

Rather than raising San an Offree just get rid of water cooled reactors and go to air cooled. They need a paradigm shift and need to address public opinion and political hacks rather than being afraid of them. Use of the existing infrastructure would save millions of dollars. Your past layoffs were foolish and hurt your image by employees especially long term employees.

5. Maintenance Helper at San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station

Former Employee - Machinists Helper in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Machinists Helper in Temecula, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved my job. The benefits were fantastic, they supported a questioning attitude and clear and concise communication. They focused on safety, teamwork and promoted further education.

Cons

Engineers should have really thought through buying the "new and improved" steam generators. They should have used a more conservative approach and stuck with the design that worked.

Advice to Management

Re-open the plant, I want my job back...

6. Nuclear Security Officer

Former Employee - Nuclear Security Surveillance Officer in Murrieta, CA
    Former Employee - Nuclear Security Surveillance Officer in Murrieta, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits and 401k was outstanding

Cons

Poor Leadership that had no clue on how to manage at San Onofre. Promotions were done by the good ole boy club

Advice to Management

not much to say the plant was shut down at San Onofre

7. Project Analyst

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

Good pay
    Will not need to bring work home

Cons

Favoritism
    Work management is disproportionate
    Constant down sizing

8. Great Management

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

The project manager I've worked with has been very impressive. She is a seasoned pro with a very personable approach.

Cons

You work when there are projects available. If not, not work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I think you are fantastic!

9. Good pay, good people

Current Employee - Engineer Intern
    Current Employee - Engineer Intern

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

Opened many doors in the utility industry based on the experience SoCal Edison provides.

Cons

Good use a modern touch.

10. Many layers of management

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Good pay. Room for growth.

Cons

Too many layers of management. Hard to get anything done. Management treats workers poorly.

11. Fantastic Experience with SCE

Current Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with SCE for over 5-years and I have had a terrific experience. I've loved the team-focused culture. There is no back-stabbing, and everyone is generally interested in helping each other do well. There is a strong focus on career development as well as having a successful work-life balance. I can definitely see myself staying here for the rest of my career.

Cons

The company is undergoing a lot of change, which may be difficult for some folks. However, I believe leadership has the company headed in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Continue the strong focus on developing a positive work environment and empowering people to grow, take on new responsibility, and have ownership of their work.

RSS Feed </> Embed