Southern California Edison

Updated February 25, 2015
3.2

Southern California Edison CEO Pedro Pizarro
Pedro Pizarro

Pros
  • Work life balance is good in general depending on which department you are with (in 41 reviews)

• This company offers good benefits and some longevity if in the right department (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of clear direction from senior management (in 15 reviews)

• GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Edison is better than most in being a company that operates as a company.

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

The pay and benefits are better than average. The work is not hard work. Great place to work if you are accepted as "one of us" by your fellow workers.

Cons

Takes a long time to get anything done. Lots of "we don't do that here." Lots of nepotism and other forms of "in group" attitudes.

You have too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

FAKE Reviews

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a great place to work. Great coworkers, leading the industry, benefits, and the likes.

Cons

Everyone is being laid off so SCE can bring in "managed services" , ie. TEMP STAFFING so they don't have to pay benefits. THe recent 5 STAR reviews are fake and bought. Internal atmosphere is dreadful and hellish. I'm so glad I got out of there.

You should be ashamed of yourself

epitome of inefficiency, waste, bureaucracy, wrong people in their positions

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

Fair & compatitive benefits, good physical work environment, some genuine & talented people; there has been speaking of change, yet to see and know it is in a right direction

Cons

Wrong people in mid & upper management, too many levels of management, too many inefficient processes, jobs are being given based on relations & connections and not qualifications; too many people in management level with big egos and disconnected from real world; too many entrenched & persona

have the courage and ability to identify & correct the cons explained above.

What a terrible shame!

Former Employee - Project Analyst III in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst III in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits (what's left of them), decent pay.

Cons

SCE was once great place to work, in many departments you felt like a family, but those days are long gone. In my 15 years there, I saw and heard so much, including the shooting of three managers in the IT department by a mistreated employee, and the mismanagement of SONGS, particularly the equipment failure that eventually lead to the closure, and dismantling of the plant, (at the customer's expense.) In the past few years, many valuable long time employees have been laid off, reason being 'downsizing.' While this is true, why are new employees constantly being hired off the street, why not move the current employee to another position? If they're being replaced by outside people. that's not really 'downsizing', it's just basically 'out with the old, in with the new.' The knowledge, experience and value of a long time employee is not easily replaced, yet management continues to let these employees go, and bring in new hires. It's obvious managers just want to get rid of certain employees, the ones they're intimidated by and/or the ones they're afraid will speak about their constant verbal abuse. It's no secret that SCE has a BIG problem with middle management. (There's a complete 'Incident Management Report' on the Internet that the public can access and read. It was put together by an outside source who interviewed several employees throughout the company, many of those employees were soon after targeted for 'lay off.' SCE is full of 'cliques', and if you're not part of one of those cliques, you're a sitting duck, meaning if lay offs come around to your department...."LOOK OUT."! Rumors are there will be many more lay offs in the coming years, including many this year.....if you plan on working here, think hard, then think again.... and whatever you do, stay away from the Customer Service Organization, rumor is that some departments within customer service will be outsourced to India, The Philippines, or some other country that offers cheap customer service assistance.
    I would only recommend this company to someone I didn't like.

Until you get rid of the abusive managers in middle management, the company will never recover from all the turmoil it's gone through in the last few years. Why do you lay off a group of employees, and then the following week promote some of the employees left to higher jobs? And why are abusive managers promoted to higher management jobs when many of them are the source of so many problems in the company? If you really want to see ' Integrity' and 'Respect' throughout the company, you need to listen to the employees, NOT the mangers who are constantly lying to you.

Waiting On Bain

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

You'll get paid every two weeks until the "intellects vast, cool and unsympathetic" running the place decide they can outsource you. They just hired a Power Production division manager that in three month has NEVER visited a single PPD site but DID hire Bain Capital his first week on the job.

Cons

SCE is on the glidepath to death. It's an electrical utility company that is run by bankers, makes less than 5% of its own power, and has run off maybe 70% of it's trained technical workforce. Apparently they think they can continue to get paid for wheeling in the most expensive power they can find indefinitely. I can't wait for the Feds or the State of California to "nationalize" them, but since so many of the folks in office are too technically clueless to understand the importance of the electrical system mebbe not.

Do everyone a favor and turn over the operation to the State of California. It's obvious you are not interested in your public charter.

You're either in or your out..........it's anyone's guess

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

Good pay considering the poor conditions

Cons

I was in a hostile work environment which I reported to my manager on several occasions. He told me it was up to me to suck it up and to "make it work" or I would no longer be in line for promotions. It is a horribly male dominated culture in which there has never been a female leader of Transmission and Distribution! There is much discussion of equal opportunity but little to show for it. THIS place is terrible even thought the glossy brochures would have you believe something else.

Walking Dead. The Zombie Side.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People with no skills except for the ability to say "Yes" to management can get jobs there.

Cons

A company with no integrity, no respect, no teamwork. A competition of egos. Run if you are a human and you want to stay human. Join if you can lie day in and day out, if you can fake a smile when you you are dying inside, if you have no other skills.

No management will care, but anyway. Stop popping pills and pretend you are improving anything. Xanax, Prozac, Vicodin can only solve your problems, they don't make the company better. Pedro (for outsiders: Ron is not the president anymore), just sell SCE and end the misery.

Be Careful What You Wish For...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, learning opportunities, and programs designed to enhance your life both at and away from work. Almost all of the people who work there are great, it is very "band of brothers" whereby most (not all) employees feel as though they are all enlisted together and watch each others backs.

Cons

University of Phoenix Masters Degrees, people who have achieved rank with their "degree" even though they would never have stood a chance at completing a real graduate school let alone be accepted to one. Therefore their attempting to run a business shows their inadequate abilities since moral is extremely low. To make employees happy they invent new pseudo job opportunities further insulting the intelligence for those of us whom obtained a real education by actually having to take SAT tests, apply, etc. In other words management is unprepared, unqualified, and over paid doing next to nothing in terms of day to day work. In fact the call center has more managers than departments, not one person knows what any one of them does except attend 6-10 meetings a day. Internal politics and ethics violations are out of control since this is a "good ole boy" establishment, managers too have each others backs creating a situation where there is a clear division between the actual working employees and management who do nearly nothing but filibuster. SCE is a great company if you are union, outside of that, it is a place where talented and skilled employees go to die because if you are better than a manager, you are being super glued to your desk.

Make a decision and stick with it, don't have a dozen meetings on how to make a decision, most of your employees feel that their leaders are impotent, inadequate and could care less about the families we are trying to feed. Don't smile at me and tell me my best interest is in your mind - don't lie like that because actions speak louder than words, so SCE much like congress talks a whole lot but gets even less done.

A sad, dreary place to work. Company looking to be acquired.

Former Employee - Commuunications Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Commuunications Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Higher than average pay. Good benefits. Some of the smartest, nicest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

A culture of fear. Stodgy, old school. Frequently bullying of employees by managers (which is what caused the 2011 shootings at Rivergrade).

Retire and be replaced by someone with a VISION. Someone who can INSPIRE employees to embrace the cause and not just phone it in every day and collect their bloated paychecks every other Friday. John Bryson's "Leading the Way in Electricity" initiative pumped new energy into the company, but was soon kicked to the curb by the cronies currently occupying the executive offices on the 4th floor and collecting their bloated paychecks.

overpaid employees

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

less work more pay. Irwindale filled with loosers who are way overpaid

Cons

many lazy coworkers who are incapable of finding job elsewhere

Southern California Edison Photos