Southern California Edison Reviews

471 reviews filtered by
3.1
Southern California Edison CEO Pedro Pizarro
Pedro Pizarro

Pros
  • Work life balance is good in general depending on which department you are with (in 41 reviews)

• This company offers good benefits and some longevity if in the right department (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of clear direction from senior management (in 15 reviews)

• GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities (in 8 reviews)

After two years I saw the real truth.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

Acceptable pay. The cons so overwhelm the pros.

Cons

I was very happy the first two years because I was making more money than my previous employment but, started to notice how poorly not only the employees were treated as well as minority customers. Union Local 47 has lost its past great power which management has taken advantage of to the detriment of the rank and file member.

Advice to Management

It is really very simple. Treat all employees like it was your son or daughter you were managing . The golden rule comes to mind. The changes that have been made are breaking the backs of the employees that are left after layoffs and outsourcing. Listen to the employees that are left or you will be left with a foreign work force who will not care about SCE or America.

The most backwards and unfair place I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst IV in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst IV in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

I am still pressed to find some.

Cons

IT department has too much politics and doesn't appreciate technical talent. Permanent people feel threatened by contractors.

Advice to Management

Evaluate positions of people having been there more than 10 years, as they take their jobs for granted without bringing anything on the table. I experienced extreme harassment by employees, and at the end I lost my job.

Technical Specialist

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and bonuses.

Cons

NO job security. I was a part of thousands who just went through a mass layoff. The company makes billions and had just gave us the biggest bonus in the decade that I was there. The impending layoff was held over our heads for months before the day finally came. When we were finally told that we were being laid off, we were given 30 minutes to pack and leave the property. We were told that it would be done with "dignity and professionalism." Nothing could have been further from the truth. It was humiliating. We weren't even given the chance to say "goodbye" to people we had worked with for years. The company didn't have to do this...they did it because they could. Hopefully the investigations by Congress will help.

Advice to Management

Get a conscience!

Highly politicized, Toxic Environment not Focused on Business

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

Benefits are good
    work life balance can be good depending on department

Cons

Highly politicized environment
    No room for advancement
    Brown-nosing a must
    ineptness among management not experienced in modern-day business

Advice to Management

Need to enter the new millennium and bring in experienced management to complement the institutional knowledge within the company. Find ways to provide incentives and career development. Stop HR from telling people that "if you are too smart, creative or innovative, you won't fit in"- a really poor recruiting methodology and at the core of what is wrong

it's a illusion.. it is part of the government & a identity that acts like a monopoly.

Current Employee - Desktop Support in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Desktop Support in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

it's a nice name to show off to your friends.

Cons

electricity is cheap, employee's get paid poorly, & pensions are not paid by the government. People mainly work climbing poles, high number get hurt.

Advice to Management

Learn how to use a computer so your workers don't call the Helpdesk all day, make them responsible for remembering their password, layoff's is needed to get people who spend all day doing nothing out. Managers should not be moved everything they mess up, hopping they will get better. Fire them or demote them.

Twenty Five years of lies and cheating customers and employees.

Former Employee - Field Representative in San Jacinto, CA
    Former Employee - Field Representative in San Jacinto, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

You get paid the industry standard.

Cons

In a Union shop an educated individual is held down because he or she is a threat to old school supervision or management. They lie and cheat to hold you down. How many times has SCE been sued by its own employees ? Just because you get paid every other Friday does not me you should have high moral !

Advice to Management

Go back to business school and reeducate yourself to conduct business in the USA. Realize that the real talent is in educated employees in the USA and not in China or some other low wage country.

Edison is better than most in being a company that operates as a company.

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

The pay and benefits are better than average. The work is not hard work. Great place to work if you are accepted as "one of us" by your fellow workers.

Cons

Takes a long time to get anything done. Lots of "we don't do that here." Lots of nepotism and other forms of "in group" attitudes.

Advice to Management

You have too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

FAKE Reviews

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a great place to work. Great coworkers, leading the industry, benefits, and the likes.

Cons

Everyone is being laid off so SCE can bring in "managed services" , ie. TEMP STAFFING so they don't have to pay benefits. THe recent 5 STAR reviews are fake and bought. Internal atmosphere is dreadful and hellish. I'm so glad I got out of there.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed of yourself

epitome of inefficiency, waste, bureaucracy, wrong people in their positions

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

Fair & compatitive benefits, good physical work environment, some genuine & talented people; there has been speaking of change, yet to see and know it is in a right direction

Cons

Wrong people in mid & upper management, too many levels of management, too many inefficient processes, jobs are being given based on relations & connections and not qualifications; too many people in management level with big egos and disconnected from real world; too many entrenched & persona

Advice to Management

have the courage and ability to identify & correct the cons explained above.

What a terrible shame!

Former Employee - Project Analyst III in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst III in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits (what's left of them), decent pay.

Cons

SCE was once great place to work, in many departments you felt like a family, but those days are long gone. In my 15 years there, I saw and heard so much, including the shooting of three managers in the IT department by a mistreated employee, and the mismanagement of SONGS, particularly the equipment failure that eventually lead to the closure, and dismantling of the plant, (at the customer's expense.) In the past few years, many valuable long time employees have been laid off, reason being 'downsizing.' While this is true, why are new employees constantly being hired off the street, why not move the current employee to another position? If they're being replaced by outside people. that's not really 'downsizing', it's just basically 'out with the old, in with the new.' The knowledge, experience and value of a long time employee is not easily replaced, yet management continues to let these employees go, and bring in new hires. It's obvious managers just want to get rid of certain employees, the ones they're intimidated by and/or the ones they're afraid will speak about their constant verbal abuse. It's no secret that SCE has a BIG problem with middle management. (There's a complete 'Incident Management Report' on the Internet that the public can access and read. It was put together by an outside source who interviewed several employees throughout the company, many of those employees were soon after targeted for 'lay off.' SCE is full of 'cliques', and if you're not part of one of those cliques, you're a sitting duck, meaning if lay offs come around to your department...."LOOK OUT."! Rumors are there will be many more lay offs in the coming years, including many this year.....if you plan on working here, think hard, then think again.... and whatever you do, stay away from the Customer Service Organization, rumor is that some departments within customer service will be outsourced to India, The Philippines, or some other country that offers cheap customer service assistance.
    I would only recommend this company to someone I didn't like.

Advice to Management

Until you get rid of the abusive managers in middle management, the company will never recover from all the turmoil it's gone through in the last few years. Why do you lay off a group of employees, and then the following week promote some of the employees left to higher jobs? And why are abusive managers promoted to higher management jobs when many of them are the source of so many problems in the company? If you really want to see ' Integrity' and 'Respect' throughout the company, you need to listen to the employees, NOT the mangers who are constantly lying to you.

Southern California Edison Photos