Southern California Edison

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015

Southern California Edison CEO Pedro Pizarro
Pedro Pizarro

Pros
  • Work life balance is good in general depending on which department you are with (in 41 reviews)

• This company offers good benefits and some longevity if in the right department (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of clear direction from senior management (in 15 reviews)

• GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful Company

Former Employee - Student Management
    Former Employee - Student Management

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

Great benefits. Great pay scale.

Cons

Lots of overtime. Almost all fellow employees are avid smokers and cuss frequently.

Scared off by unstable work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly supervisors, great co-workers. Huge company which made it seem like there was an opportunity for advancement.

Cons

I was hired part time when the company was undergoing a very large Reduction In Force. The medical insurance rates were astronomical for part time employee. The colleagues who were there before me tried to be positive about my longevity, but I left to pursue a more stable job

Work is so fun and enjoyable

Current Employee - Designer I in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Designer I in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, loving and caring.

Cons

There is nothing I do not like

Love what you guys do

Not all bitter employees

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

While SCE has been going through changes and reorg within the IT group, this has been needed change as the organization was inefficient. many posting on the site complain simply because they were let go by the company. Even tho I was let go, SCE is still a great company and would return to work there if given an opportunity.

Cons

Entitlement mentality from long serving employees- nothing is guaranteed anymore

Lost cause

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

In general, good and some talented people, but management is clueless

Cons

Too process heavy with poor direction for the future. Management is incompetent and too self-serving creating a disconnected work environment.

Streamline processes and then implement systems to support those processes. Processes need a major overhaul, don't implement systems to work with current broken processes.

See. Spot. Run (away) !

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Compensation and work-life balance.

Cons

What could be more stable work environment than working in a company that has been in business for over 125 years. Right? Not anymore. What goes up, goes down. That golden era is over. Thanks to the new leadership. Company underwent a huge reorg and outsourcing wave. Most IT positions have been replaced by low paid temp visa workers. Pretty much whoever was on management's good books got to stay. Everyone else got laid off. Or in other words, "talkers" stayed, "doers" were shown the door. There are also some (not so) glorious examples of people who got promoted to senior management but they hardly have a decade of experience on resume. Think about the people who made those decisions and think about the kind of people you will be reporting to if you decide to join. Next wave of lay offs coming soon in Business areas. Tax penalties for outsourcing, anyone? These so called offshore body shops have local incorporated entities in the USA so one could argue, hey jobs are still in the US and not shipped overseas. We know better.

Get your act together and while you are at it might even consider changing the company name since the "California" in "Southern California Edison" feels little out of place. I would suggest an International name but then it would be above my pay grade.

Company changing for the better

Current Employee - Project Manager (MPP1)
    Current Employee - Project Manager (MPP1)

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

Good place to start your career
    Supportive culture that embraces diversity in the workplace
    Work life balance

Cons

Recommunivat the strategy so the teams are clear on our future direction

Great benefits but very old school management styles

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits and pay. Co-workers are very nice and helpful

Cons

lack of leadership skills and unclear direction from above. Take too long to make a decision as it requires many layers of approval.

Be proactive and listen to your employees. Treat them with respect and trust them.

Good company to grow your career

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits / Salary
    Work life balance
    Team is very supportive and open to change and collaborate

Cons

IT team was not effective and as result some functions were outsourced. This will take time to rebuild and reorganize.
    Like any company going through changes a few employees are not happy

Keep working to be best in class

What a terrible shame!

Former Employee - Project Analyst III in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst III in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits (what's left of them), decent pay.

Cons

SCE was once great place to work, in many departments you felt like a family, but those days are long gone. In my 15 years there, I saw and heard so much, including the shooting of three managers in the IT department by a mistreated employee, and the mismanagement of SONGS, particularly the equipment failure that eventually lead to the closure, and dismantling of the plant, (at the customer's expense.) In the past few years, many valuable long time employees have been laid off, reason being 'downsizing.' While this is true, why are new employees constantly being hired off the street, why not move the current employee to another position? If they're being replaced by outside people. that's not really 'downsizing', it's just basically 'out with the old, in with the new.' The knowledge, experience and value of a long time employee is not easily replaced, yet management continues to let these employees go, and bring in new hires. It's obvious managers just want to get rid of certain employees, the ones they're intimidated by and/or the ones they're afraid will speak about their constant verbal abuse. It's no secret that SCE has a BIG problem with middle management. (There's a complete 'Incident Management Report' on the Internet that the public can access and read. It was put together by an outside source who interviewed several employees throughout the company, many of those employees were soon after targeted for 'lay off.' SCE is full of 'cliques', and if you're not part of one of those cliques, you're a sitting duck, meaning if lay offs come around to your department...."LOOK OUT."! Rumors are there will be many more lay offs in the coming years, including many this year.....if you plan on working here, think hard, then think again.... and whatever you do, stay away from the Customer Service Organization, rumor is that some departments within customer service will be outsourced to India, The Philippines, or some other country that offers cheap customer service assistance.
    I would only recommend this company to someone I didn't like.

Until you get rid of the abusive managers in middle management, the company will never recover from all the turmoil it's gone through in the last few years. Why do you lay off a group of employees, and then the following week promote some of the employees left to higher jobs? And why are abusive managers promoted to higher management jobs when many of them are the source of so many problems in the company? If you really want to see ' Integrity' and 'Respect' throughout the company, you need to listen to the employees, NOT the mangers who are constantly lying to you.

Southern California Edison Photos