Southern California Edison

www.sce.com
Employer Engaged

SCE, once a leader in many areas, has lost it's mojo

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Southern California Edison has above average compensation, work-life balance, and a diverse cultural work environment. There many dedicated individuals to work with.

Cons

Leadership has relied on third party vendors to make decisions that have resulted in catastrophic economic results for the company, employees, and rate payers. Many of the vendors now are in management. The bankruptcy of Mission Energy and shutdown of the nuclear facility were both due to decisions that could have been prevented. Now the consultants and newly hired management have decided to outsource everything starting in IT. The winners are the consultants. The losers are the company, rate payers, and employees.

SCE is a quasi-government utility, not a high growth, high profit tech company.

Not as stable as it used to be!

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

Work life balance, great pay, work with a lot of nice people. Challenging work. Lots of changes to software that has been a benefit.

Cons

Not easy to get promoted in other departments. Most have a contingent worker already doing the job so the job will go to one of them. Management needs a lot of improvement when it comes to yearly PDP reviews. Everyone is rated the same no matter how much harder you work, expect to be rated Commendable. Threats of solar taking over , fear of layoffs , can cause a lot of stress. Alot of employees are starting to leave and look for jobs out side the company.

Stop the favoritism.

Southern California Edison Response

Feb 9, 2015HR Strategic Program Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We are always looking to improve how we operate. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't find our regular PDP reviews helpful toward achieving your career goals. We'll continue ... More

Good compensation, questionable management

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

Work is interesting, co-workers are great, pay and benefits good (for now). Work life balance pretty good.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy, and too many middle managers. Many managers in Customer Service are incompetent, often glorified babysitters armed with "pulse and a checkbook" diploma mill-type credentials (Univ. of Phoenix, Redlands, et al) who have no grasp of the actual work they're managing, and rule with an iron fist to make up for their low self esteem from managing people significantly smarter than they are.

Eliminate more middle management, especially the old dinosaurs who will never change their ineffectual dysfunctional ways, take the money you save and hire more people doing real work, and give them some empowerment. We're not a bunch of kids in need of babysitting. Also, look at more hiring from within.

35 year employee Big changes coming in benefits package................................................................

Current Employee - Lineman in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Lineman in Rosemead, CA

Pros

First 30 years here have been awesome. Had great opportunities to explore different job classifications, company offered both cash balance and 401K, with ample sick time and vacation hours. Regretfully can't say the same for the next 5 years here.

Cons

Company has become more bureaucratic with more layers of management. Senior management has become too distant from the rank and file employees that get the work done and help them achieve departmental goals which makes them look good. Significant change in benefits for those under 40 and new hires. Management claims cuts are needed because competition in the industry from current and new energy producers means we must stay cost competitive. However, executives have managed to cash in 3 million in stock options.

Show some appreciation for the hard working that commit extensive overtime hours that are directly responsible for helping the company realize their safety, reliability, and budget objectives by enhancing current benefits not cutting them

manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

huge company, great people, plenty of opportunity for career growth.

Cons

too much change, disconnect between senior leadership and employees.

good luck friends

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

wages and the opportunity to improve

Cons

no support in upper Mgmt for IT

General morale has reached the bottom and no support or direction in IT to improve, Best of luck my friends,

Accounting Finance

I worked at Southern California Edison (more than a year)

Pros

Large Utility with many operating groups and by extension opportunity. Great pay scale, above average. Great Benefits.

Cons

Went through a restructure after SONGS shut down. Lean to unsustainably lean in some areas. Just hope you don't land in one of those areas right now.

You may need to communicate up the ladder that it needs to be re-evaluated instead of just demanding more from existing staff and then have them leave under duress and reallocating the work to the existing overwhelmed staff..

Honest Review

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

Lots of job security, easy work, pretty good pay,

Cons

hard to get promotions, everything is black and white, does not promote overall career growth, if you are planning to stay 5+ years plan on staying for life

make people work....too many lifers skating on ice

Not all bitter employees

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

While SCE has been going through changes and reorg within the IT group, this has been needed change as the organization was inefficient. many posting on the site complain simply because they were let go by the company. Even tho I was let go, SCE is still a great company and would return to work there if given an opportunity.

Cons

Entitlement mentality from long serving employees- nothing is guaranteed anymore

It isn't the same any more...

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Southern California Edison

Pros

Workplace was close to home, great rapport with teammates, loved the work I was doing.

Cons

Company culture has changed drastically over last few years... Company used to look after the employees and employees were loyal and supported the company. Now, over the last few years, Management vision has changed, employee don't matter any more... Hard work, commitment, honestly, loyalty etc don't get you far, connections and politics does...
    Re-orgs, downsizing and lack of vision...

Southern California Edison Response

Feb 9, 2015HR Strategic Program Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As you know, growing companies have to make some hard trade-offs as they scale. One of those for us was to streamline our IT organization. Competition ... More

Southern California Edison Photos