Southern California Edison Reviews

Reset

Bloated and fat

Former Employee - Systems Analyst III in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst III in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison (More than 3 years)

Pros

Southern California Edison has many, many great perks for its employees. Bonuses at non-management levels, health per diem, numerous affinity groups geared towards minorities and special interests, 401K matching, etc. It's a fairly comfortable place to work with some great people to work with. Work load, pressures, and stresses were very low at least while I was employed there. In the three years I worked for Edison, I think I put in one day of overtime. I can't even recall why I stayed late that day. The company, at least outward facing, stresses work-life balance, and it's evident in the work load.

Cons

The overall professional culture at SCE is very dysfunctional. The hierarchical structure, and there are A LOT of layers, is overt and does form separations of rank and position. In my opinion from observation is that relationships amongst its employees (managers or otherwise) seem to matter more than capabilities. The organization is very fat and slow in not just the head count of employees but the business processes which govern the work, the layers of bureaucratic red tape, and glad handing that needs to occur. Managers often are more concerned with empire building than keeping agile and effective, often back filling positions whether the head count is needed or not. While employed with SCE, I often had stints of time where I had very little to do. My work was very focused and didn't allow for much outside of my responsibilities. The work was not very rewarding. And at least in my department, there wasn't much offered for professional growth. Because of the nature of how SCE is funded, via state funding, it fosters an environment not focused on efficiency. Often it is beneficial to spend more because it provides a platform for when the GRC (General Rate Case) is developed to request more and more money from the state.

Advice to Management

Advice to executives and managers alike at SCE is to keep things lean where possible. Empire building can't be the focus for a business that requires outside funding and where public scrutinization is ever present. I know cost-cutting has been a focus for SCE in recent years (e.g. IT has been outsourced) but I'd be lying if I didn't think moves such as these were made to preserve the clout and monetary benefits the upper management have come to expect, and maybe rely on personally.

2. Stability

Current Employee - Manager I in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Manager I in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best feelings about this company is the stability, and the attempt at transparency that upper management provides.

Cons

Depending on your role, work/life balance can become skewed.

Advice to Management

Great job pursuing transparency, but please keep it consistent.

SCE

Current Employee - Grid Ops Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Grid Ops Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and can move forward quickly if you have a college degree

Cons

People with a lot of experience are often laid off

Project Manager

I have been working at Southern California Edison (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good employee compensation plan

Cons

There is no accountability for doing bad job/work. It's all about who you know, not what good work you've done.

Attorney

Current Employee - Senior Attorney in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Attorney in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Work is interesting. Generally, good quality of life. No billable hours. Good benefits and incentives.

Cons

Upward mobility is limited. In the past, promotions have been guided by "who you know" rather the best and most experienced person for the job. Management is often not transparent.

Advice to Management

Spend more time understanding the roles and efforts of the attorneys you manage. Don't play favorites.

Manager IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay with potentially guaranteed bonus of 8 to 30 % depending on your level.

Cons

Extremely disjointed Management in IT. The CIO has very conservative and narrow vision. His primary focus is cost cutting at the cost of quality of service. Overall quality of leadership is very poor. If you express and opinion it's neglected and if your opinion contradicts their plans they will hold a grudge against you for having an opinion.

Advice to Management

Hire better Management on the top special in IT. The current CIO and majority of his directors are not easy to work with and have very strong and racially biased view point and management style.

8. Senior Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Internal opportunities to shift around

Cons

Typical corporate work environment; Too much corporate jargon

9. Analyst Program Project

Former Employee - Analyst Program Project in Victorville, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst Program Project in Victorville, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to promote within and have a long term career. Edison also promotes your eduction goals by reimbursing costs for selected certificates and degrees.

Cons

A few experiences with terrible managers and supervisors, but all in all a great company and people to work with.

Advice to Management

Better selection and training for supervisors and managers regarding HR policies.

IT Business Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Edison has good pay and good benefits. One of the last places at offers a pension and 1for1 401 contribution. Many different locations to transfer to, if you want to change jobs after the 18mo residency.

Cons

IT right now is a disaster, outsourced, and the rest of the company is suffering as a result. Lots of nepotism. Saw alot of good employees let go, people were released not by their skill set, but its a who you know environment. Mgrs are a mess with very little mgmt experience or ones who dont really care. Their answer to the shooting was to outsource, which is proving to be a bad decision. They should have retrained their mgmt team instead of outsourcing. Ultimately CEOs fault for not paying attention to what was going on or for allowing a bad plan to be enacted.

Advice to Management

Learn to plan and budget. To this day, managers still dont know how much projects costs or know how to plan. Take some planning classes for goodness sake! Pedro, how you can you let IT outsource and have no plan for fixing their problems? They believed infosys & TCS hook-line&sinker and this is why the company is suffering. IT should be monitoring these consultants and IT is letting them self monitor!

11. Office Assistant II

Pros

Great people, environment, pay, learning opportunities

Cons

No Cons. This is the beat company I have worked for.

RSS Feed </> Embed