Southern California Edison

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014

Southern California Edison President Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger
Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Pros
  • Company has great work-life balance, usually many opportunities to volunteer (in 39 reviews)

• This company offers good benefits and some longevity if in the right department (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of clear direction from senior management (in 15 reviews)

• GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

140 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company

Current Employee - IT Specialist III in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist III in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance and Flexibility, Benefits

Cons

Patience, Not much of growth..

In-effecient Management..

Everything has been going well.

Current Employee - Intern in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Many branches spread throughout Southern California provide plenty of opportunities in various locations. The salary is excellent (as are the benefits) and org units really tend to work well together and have good rapport with one another. The company instills a great culture of safety, and the work-life balance is fair.

Cons

An IT department was recently outsourced, which leads to concerns over job stability for others.

T&D Business Planning

Current Employee - PRF I in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - PRF I in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally speaking, I had a great experience in this group. Majority of the group was extremely intelligent and approachable. I really learned alot! Overall leadership of the group was great and definitely headed in the right direction as far creating a productive and forward looking work environment. As far as other internship offers I received, compensation was slightly better than average.

Cons

After re-org in January, I was placed under a new manager that was socially inept (background was in accounting so I didn't expect much). She was difficult to work with, not only by my standards but everyone else in the group as well. She was not very well liked by the majority of the team. This made all the difference in deciding where I would accept a full time position when I graduated (Not with SCE).

Trim some of the fat in middle management. The "old school" managers need to go. Corporate America is changing. Top talent will no longer accept the bureaucratic, slow, and out-dated status quo.

Low skilled employees

Former Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Its a pretty known fact that this company is for looser for the long run. Any one who joins from a contractor to a employee here is either not good enough to get a job elsewhere or is just too lazy to work. So the pro is for some of the lazy IT and non IT people out there to try in a company like this which has great job for paycheck

Cons

No technical challenges or job growth motivation. Its a old company setup with no fire to learn anything new.

Stop paying employees too high. You are a public service company who use a rate case. So pay only what other companies pay. Finally you have learned to outsource which is good to save cost. But you should have hired that many employees at those high salaries in first place. There are still some employees in Irwindale who will be retained because they know someone and not because they are skilled. So improve your act!!

Long time employee downsized out. Forced to take a severance package.

Former Employee - Manager II in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Manager II in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company had a long history of being the "Edison Family". For years it was a great place to work, with good pay, good benefits, and job security. Unfortunately, that has all changed in the past few years.

Cons

The Edison company has become a much less enjoyable place to work. I still keep in touch with many former colleagues who often complain about how bad it's gotten and how they really don't enjoy their jobs there anymore. Many are actively looking elsewhere for another position but keeping the Edison job to pay the bills.

Get a clue. You have created something bordering on a hostile work environment. People feel insecure in their jobs and feel no appreciation from management for their contributions.

Future of uncertainty...

Current Employee - Supervisor in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The historical value and contributions to the utility industry will forever enable this company to attract/hire talent. It's foundation is what drives me to remain hopeful during the company transformation

Cons

Unfortunately, the transformation is not truly weeding out its challenges with leadership and viral employees who impact the very fabric of the company. The leaders who fattened up the company resulting in the much needed transformation are still there and some promoted prior to the realization of the transformation ROI.

CORPORATE EXECUTIVES (Ted Craver): Measure this leadership against the ROI of the transformation to managed services and grow a pair (since there are now only men on the executive leadership team). If results are not realized within a specified duration, LET THEM GO and give the next level an opportunity to elevate the company to its once known level of integrity. I suspect the fore fathers are turning in their graves.

Excellent career experience

Former Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Gained knowledge and expertise during 15-year career with Southern California Edison

Cons

Unfortunately my employment was severed along with several others during company realignment

Much company and industry expertise was eliminated. Please consider re-hiring some of this great talent you helped train and cultivate.

project manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefit is good, management does not seem to know what people are doing. So for lazy people, this is a perfect job.

Cons

projects are done out of control, monkey business financially, mistakes are under the carpet, management knows but choose to ignore.

spend money wisely. After all, we all pay electrical bills. It is not right for consumer to pay higher rate for internal poor management job.

Excellent work environment but totally incompetent management in all levels of IT

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

State of the art technology, no stress, reasonable benefits. The motto in IT was, "we spend money to make money"

Cons

Unbelievably incompetent management in IT. Comparable only to Nuclear Technology management which managed to destroy a fully functional nuclear power station. Sycophancy, nepotism and plain corruption present at all management levels.

The management are beyond help. Hopefully the Regulators will wake up one day and audit this den of thieves.

Mixed, lately cons outweight the pros

Current Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits, flexible work schedules. The company is spending a lot of efforts on management training and supports development and training

Cons

The company is going thru business transformation as management is trying to counteract business pressures from alternative energy sources leading to loss of customer base and pressures to re-engineer the grid to allow electricity to flow both ways ... generating plant sending electricity thru the grid to customers and now customers supplying electricity back to the grid. Business Units are looking to restructure operations and are pursuing outsourcing strategies displacing long and dedicated US workforce with off-shore opportunities to cut costs. Most long term employees have entitlement attitudes and management encourages employees to challenge management creating often difficulties for managers that came from outside to make lasting changes.

With push to move the company to increase profitability.... consider polling employees if they would consider salary and benefit cuts over outsourcing strategies.

Southern California Edison Photos