Southern California Edison

Updated December 3, 2014
2.9

Southern California Edison President Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger
Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Pros
  • Work life balance is good in general depending on which department you are with (in 41 reviews)

• This company offers good benefits and some longevity if in the right department (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of clear direction from senior management (in 15 reviews)

• GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

146 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company being destroyed by clueless Sr management.

Current Employee - Applications Support in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Support in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. I have been working here since last 6 years...moved from east coast to take up this job. Good benefits, Great training program...in fact I never saw any company spending so much to train their employees, Awesome friends and great people I met over last 5 years.

Cons

No accountability what so ever. For example take the training...Managers sign up their work force for training in latest and greatest programs but will fail to check if those guys are actually contributing in those areas. So now you have guys queuing up for training to get free laptops and ipads from the training company.

I will save my breath. Please QUIT.

Was a great place to work , now not so much.

Former Employee - IT Specialist III in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist III in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Great people.

Cons

Highest level of management only care about themselves and whatever they can take out of the company. They are willing to sacrifice lower level personnel to pad their bank accounts.

You have already ruined a great company and the lives of many that committed their lives to it. Should have given the people you laid off an offer of a reduced salary to save money rather then toss them to the curb. Outsourcing will never replace the talent you purged. What you saved in wages of IT talent you will lose in core TDBU employee productivity.

Great Company

Former Employee - Storage Engineer III in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Storage Engineer III in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

This is a company affected by deregulation

none

An Honest Assessment

Current Employee - Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having been at the Company for 6 years and scrolling through the reviews on Glassdoor, I decided on leaving a an honest assessment of the Company to strike a balance between the negative reviews from ex employees and raving reviews from newbies.

SCE is much like the United States. Each Business Unit, work location, has its own rules much like different States have their own laws. With that said, if you land in the right "State", you are golden. Managers would be wonderful and you may make good friends for life. You will enjoy the Company's benefit of 401k, pension plan, tons of paid holidays and other perks the Company throws at you. You will be promoted from an intern to Senior Management in less than 5 years, if you land in the "right" State. Now, do you feel lucky enough to take a chance and see if you would land in the right group?

Cons

Some groups are backward, full of politics, behind closed door deals. Human Resources are ill equipped, having no full understanding of Labor Laws or contemporaneous changes in Law. Therefore it can be a mad house where you end up in, like Power Supply Business Unit, where they may not even bother to "justify" their actions. "WASTES" and "mismanagement of Ratepayers' money" happen BEHIND closed doors and chummy relationship with the CPUC. Think carefully before you even "ASK QUESTIONS" because you may find your self a Target the very next day. These rogue "States" (Business Units) sing and dance the "Know the Ethical Code" / "No Retaliation" song, because they DO NOT practice it. To survive in these "States" would mean for you to give up any fiber of moral and ethics in your conscience. If you are willing to do this for a BUCK, then refer to the "PROS" up above.

Employees are resource, not liability. Keep SCE out of the news and bad publicity, by looking INWARD and walking your talk.

Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were opportunities for advance and pay was very competitive.

Cons

Work was not distributed equally. Some departments were overstaffed while others were understaffed.

Balance the departments.

Old Fashioned, not willing to embrace the future

Current Employee - Administrative Assistance IV in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistance IV in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Office Moral and Culture is very supportive of each other. The benefits are great, if you are a full time employee. Great projects to collaborate with numerous government and private entities.

Cons

Managers lack integrity throughout each department. Everyone has been brought up to be "Babied" and fed with a Silver Spoon. Money is spent left and right, without any conscious decision to budget and truly look at cost reduction instead of cost increase. The ripple affect flowing to the rate payers. IT department has been outsourced, make routine IT service calls a hassle. Managers " Micro-manage" like they have nothing to do. Company is unwilling to embrace the future of the utility industry; ie solar.

Great Company

Current Employee - IT Specialist III in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist III in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance and Flexibility, Benefits

Cons

Patience, Not much of growth..

In-effecient Management..

Everything has been going well.

Current Employee - Intern in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Many branches spread throughout Southern California provide plenty of opportunities in various locations. The salary is excellent (as are the benefits) and org units really tend to work well together and have good rapport with one another. The company instills a great culture of safety, and the work-life balance is fair.

Cons

An IT department was recently outsourced, which leads to concerns over job stability for others.

T&D Business Planning

Current Employee - PRF I in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - PRF I in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally speaking, I had a great experience in this group. Majority of the group was extremely intelligent and approachable. I really learned alot! Overall leadership of the group was great and definitely headed in the right direction as far creating a productive and forward looking work environment. As far as other internship offers I received, compensation was slightly better than average.

Cons

After re-org in January, I was placed under a new manager that was socially inept (background was in accounting so I didn't expect much). She was difficult to work with, not only by my standards but everyone else in the group as well. She was not very well liked by the majority of the team. This made all the difference in deciding where I would accept a full time position when I graduated (Not with SCE).

Trim some of the fat in middle management. The "old school" managers need to go. Corporate America is changing. Top talent will no longer accept the bureaucratic, slow, and out-dated status quo.

Low skilled employees

Former Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Its a pretty known fact that this company is for looser for the long run. Any one who joins from a contractor to a employee here is either not good enough to get a job elsewhere or is just too lazy to work. So the pro is for some of the lazy IT and non IT people out there to try in a company like this which has great job for paycheck

Cons

No technical challenges or job growth motivation. Its a old company setup with no fire to learn anything new.

Stop paying employees too high. You are a public service company who use a rate case. So pay only what other companies pay. Finally you have learned to outsource which is good to save cost. But you should have hired that many employees at those high salaries in first place. There are still some employees in Irwindale who will be retained because they know someone and not because they are skilled. So improve your act!!

Southern California Edison Photos