Southern Care, Inc.

MICHAEL J. PARSONS

Hospice

Current Employee - Hospice in Daphne, AL
    Current Employee - Hospice in Daphne, AL

I have been working at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

and wonderful people, can get attached easily. Meet some very sweet, Grey is a great boss! Flexible schedule.

Cons

Loosing patients that you get attached to is very difficult at times.
    Very young inexperienced clinical director, has ruined what was once a great place to work. She is a nice person but is not cut out for this job. Her poor management skills and mismanagement has resulted in a big turn over rate. Most everyone there agrees that working for her is pure MISERY!
    New buyout has caused much chaos, has been an awful experience.

Whats the point they do not listen!

company bought out southern care and NEVER THE SAME AGAIN

I have been working at Southern Care, Inc. full-time

Pros

great employees at southern care

Cons

too many changes especially turnover rate

Enslaved by a company that never cared!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse-Admissions Coordinatoor in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse-Admissions Coordinatoor in Evansville, IN

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Providing end of life care to hospice patients and their families.

Cons

- Poor management
    - Regional management unwilling to address needs
    - Questionable Healthcare Practices
    - Caring ends when profits too low
    - Lack of compensation for staff

I worked for more than 2 years for SouthernCare. RNs are hired as salaried employees and worked to DEATH. Often times I would think I needed to sign myself onto service. Pay was low, with no on call pay or bonuses for staff working 120+ hours per 2 week pay period. On call staff was treated like slaves, sometimes admitting 6+ patients without a break. I worked 58 hours in a row, and then slept in a recliner due to lack of sleep and inability to drive. Management did not respond to request for a break to sleep. Completely inappropriate due to safety of staff driving over and over. Management once claimed they couldn't help because they "hadn't had sleep". Constant lack of monetary or other rewards for the REAL staff. Yet management had beautiful rewards- bonuses, vacations, fancy IT equipment. Poorly run company who forgets who makes them their money. I would never work here again. And I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to apply.

Extremely disappointed in the lack of organization and integrity with this company.

I worked at Southern Care, Inc.

Pros

The best thing about working here is the ability to work with patients at their end of life. PERIOD

Cons

Employees are inexperienced an operate by the numbers. Staff appear to just be doing a job when all people are different. Company seems to be more concerned with quotas than actually caring for the patients and families. Compensation is poor and the company will suck the life out of you.

Hire real nurses that actually care about people and not just making quotas!!!

Nice people, but poor compensation, some regionals are terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the corporate office for almost 5 years, and most people I dealt with (both at corporate, and remote offices) were very nice.

Cons

Some of the Regional Directors were very difficult to work with. Also the benefits were terrible (expensive healthcare, low salary, almost no matching on 401k). If you wanted to get a raise, you had to interview with other companies and prove that you were worth more. As soon as I found a company that was willing to pay me average market value for my job (and not below the lower 25% average for our area like at SC), I left.

Pay your employees what they are worth. Don't make them shop themselves around to get the pay increases that they deserve. Reduce their healthcare costs, and have Regionals that will treat you like a human being and not like some kind of animal.

Overworked and underappreciated

Former Employee - RN Case Manager
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only thing that was positive was the patient interactions. You can get that with any hospice. This hospice does not do things right.

Cons

Go through clinical directors in many offices very often. The leadership direction of this company is very substandard. They waste a lot of money on travel, travel and travel for the higher ups but never compensate nurses, aides with comparable wages to retain employees.
    Orientation is very poor. As soon as they have you as an employee they get you out seeing patient swell before you are signed off as competent.
    Questionable integrity and competency of some employees.
    Management would rather have " a body" than give proper patient care

Figure out why you cannot keep a clinical director at many of your offices, some of your best clinical directors have left this company. It may be a business but the business has to do with taking care of people and in the end of life care, I had come across so many of your people who have said so many off color remarks to get a number ...meet a quota..these are people, someones loved ones...have compassion.

Social services and counseling to dying patients and their families.

Former Employee - Social Worker in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience in working with people in need.

Cons

Poor management of employees and their needs.

Be responsive to front line employees and their needs.

The company allowed some quetionable acts to occur, and was not responsive to have them corrected

Current Employee - D/Irectorr in Petersburg, VA
    Current Employee - D/Irectorr in Petersburg, VA

I have been working at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

potential to do good business

Cons

ccompany representatives allowed questionable acts by business development individuals

Get new representatives

Too much backbiting and not being professional

Former Employee - Hospice Aide in Moultrie, GA
    Former Employee - Hospice Aide in Moultrie, GA

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for this company for 6 plus years it was a good environment to work in. I loved to travel to see the pts. The schedule was really flexible.All in all it was like we were family.

Cons

There were at times staff members not being professional at all. They really did alot of things that were not acceptable in the office such as fussing,taking too many personal calls. They also liked to let certain aides do as they pleased. They did other things that were not within Medicare and Medicaid guidelines. They do anything its about the numbers not about the pts.

The management was to lenient to some of the staff. Management tries to please people instead of being a friend be a better boss. Management also needs to be more worried about how to make sure that every aide gets treated as far as schedules are to be divided. Management also needs to have meeting one on one instead of talking in groups.

Hire people who have experience, not simply to fill a hole.

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good employees and coworkers. Dedication to the quality of their jobs and the families.
    Excellent long-term volunteers.

Cons

--Clueless regional managers.
    --Faceless, uninterested, uninformed corporate office: management and staff.
    --Too much focus on making numbers every month (even though corporate insists they are a "people business").
    --Pay is horrible compared to national averages. Corporate WILL NOT budge on salaries. No option to negotiate even upon initial hire.

Learn how to run an effective hospice. Split up teams into territories: northern county, southern county, eastern county, western county; this will drop burnout among triage, improve service and responsiveness to families, and give employees a break on time spent in the car which is better served meeting with patients and families. Bump up your pay to the national averages or at least look at comparable pay for the region (office workers are getting the shaft). Hire people who have experience with hospice: this is not something you should simply jump into. Train correctly: all employees should be given instruction in the basics of signs of complicated grief, grief counseling, signs of active dying, spiritual advisory, etc. upon hire. Same with volunteers; this is not training that should be strung out over a period of months -- look at other successful hospice training programs. Improve your corporate relations and get competent, responsive office staff who understand the meaning of "customer service."