Southern Careers Institute

Be The First To
Add Photos

Awesome place to work.

Instructor (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsHours are awesome. Monday thru Friday. All major holidays off.

Constoo many smokers. dirty restrooms. insect problem on campus

Advice to Senior Managementnon smoking enviroment

DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!! RUN AWAY!

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNONE! The pay was decent but other than that NOT WORTH IT!!!!

ConsTerrible, stressful work environment. They expect you to reach a certain quota which hardly anyone reaches, with leads that are sub par at best. The morale is extremely low, they make you work 7 days a week because they are always way behind in numbers/enrollments. The campus is run down. Not professional at all. High turnover rate. I was only there for about 5 months and they had fired 5 people and about as many quit during that short amount of time. And apparently there was a mass exodus before I got hired as well.

Whatever you do - do not accept a job offer from this company. They do not care about their employers. They do not care about the students or the education. All they care about are the stats. Getting those enrollments. This is basically a telemarketing job - and you're expected to harass people to "convince" them to enroll even if it means ruining their lives. They don't care about making a difference. They talk the talk but they do NOT walk that walk!

They are full of liars and manipulators. They even lied to me about how much they were going to pay me. If they offer you job here DO NOT ACCEPT IT!! Just keep looking - anything is better than this place.

good in theory, bad in practice

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Brownsville, TX

ProsThe best thing about working here was that it was assisting in getting people educated, and helping people who had no other opportunities to look forward to. I enjoyed most of my colleagues as they were all good, hardworking people.

ConsI was an admissions representative and my admissions manager is one of the most unprofessional and overall worst person I have ever met. She was unethical and did "whatever it took" to meet the admissions numbers that were required to her by corporate; even if it meant not doing the best for an individual person. Besides being completely uneducated herself, she created a negative atmosphere with every person and department she worked with. She also liked to do personal business with other employees selling cosmetics and other items while on the clock to her subordinates. I left crying every day as I felt accosted but I really needed my job. She would spy on her subordinates and made it a practice to make you feel in danger of losing your job every day.
    The pay is ridiculously low and the stress is extreme as you had to meet your admissions numbers required by the company by doing over 100 cold calls a day to the same phone numbers of people who begged you to stop calling them. I am not sure if it is company policy or just the admissions manager's personal policy, to make sure that the admissions representative place each and every person who requests information into a program, even if we didn't have the program they wanted or were interested in another field. It was our job to sell them on a particular program the school offered- no matter what.
    The hours are not paid fairly as if you stayed overtime, you were told it was "your choice", however if you left, you were told that you weren't being responsible for your job- again not sure if this is company policy or just the admissions manager.
    When I put in my 2 weeks notice (in attempting to be mindful of the company's needs), I was told that they would "allow me to stay on" for the 2 weeks as they knew I was going to be ethical during the time I had left- pretty insulting.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay to make it a competitive company. Hire educated people for management positions and keep close tabs on their work ethic. I would advise them to seek honest feedback from the low level employees in admissions and such because I was afraid to speak up on unethical behavior that I witnessed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Southern Careers Cares About Students

Instructor (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

Pros--instructors care about students
    --three different schedules for students to choose from
    --classes only last 15 days/most students can graduate within 9mo-1 year
    --offer career services to help find a job after graduation

Cons--expensive for students
    --can't transfer credits to other colleges
    --no opportunities for advancement
    --instructors aren't compensated enough

Advice to Senior Management--give instructors more of a voice to offer suggestions; be more flexible with students' scheduling (take one class in am and one class in pm); and offer bonuses for instructors with good reviews

Worked for Southern Careers Institute? Contribute to the Community!