Southern Company

Southern Company Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Southern Company CEO Thomas A. Fanning

Thomas A. Fanning

Pros
  • Very good benefits and long term retirement(in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, average salary made up some with bonus potential(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work force genrally does not trust management(in 3 reviews)

• Promoting minorities' over more qualified people was a common theme amongst the company(in 6 reviews)

Great opportunities to advance

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsGreat beneifts, training, my bosses were the best!!

ConsBenefits were changed to support alternative life styles

2012 Finance Internship

Finance Intern (Former Employee)

ProsSouthern Company is a great organization with a friendly culture and outstanding people.

ConsThe work environment just wasn't what I was looking for. The projects I worked on were not as challenging as I would have liked, and in general my role was not as fast paced and exciting as I would have liked.

Different strokes for different folks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits
    Too be honest that was the only pro for me
    Most people are friendly

ConsToo old fashioned
    Low salary compared to other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the culture into the 21st century!! Your having a hard time attracting and keeping young talent because the company is far too conservative...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Conflicted between the strong positive employee values and the lack of objectivity in employee promotions.

Financial Analyst, Staff (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe company values and pays its employees towards the upper end of each scale. The company also participates in an industry that is extremely relevant.

ConsSouthern Company has a poor history of promoting worthy minorities. In addition, Southern Company has a long history of promoting friends and family.

Advice to Senior ManagementGenerally, current management is on the right track, but hard decisions need to be made about the leaders of tomorrow.

Great Company

Engineer Co-Op (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsThey care about their employee and great safety program

ConsCan be hectic sometimes when you have to meet project deadline

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the employee based on their experience

Old-fashoined stable company.

Technical Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFlexible work hours and nice staff. The environment is very friendly to new hires. Starting pay was decent.

ConsVery aged company. Felt awkward as a younger adult coming in to the work force working with exclusively 50+ employees. There are politics within the office which is discouraging.

Good company bad processes

IT Security Analydt (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsSouthern Company has an open developmental move program that allow to to try working in different departments within the company

ConsSouthern tends to have a Good Ole boy mentality. This subsequently puts people who are not good managers in management positions

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house with the employee level management.

Great people & company but senior management lacks leadership qualities necessary to make for an enjoyable job

Analyst Supply Chain (Current Employee) Columbia, AL

ProsGood benefits, good job security, great people to work with

Conspitiful management i.e. only knowledgable on pushing employees past the limit, very overwhelming expectations, very unnecessary style of management

Advice to Senior Managementnot much hope so not really worth mentioning but to suggest a minima, create an enjoyable atmosphere for employees to work in by treating them like people. Be firm but mix in previous leadership style so company can get back to begin the best in the business.

A job for life...

Planning Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat pay, benefits and job security.

ConsNot a cutting edge company and steeped in tradition. Can be frustrating when you know change will help but no one will accept it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the siloed operating companies. One company, one brand that all employees belong to. Too much APC vs GPC garbage that stops change for the better from happening.

Good Career Company

IT Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLarge enough to move around and learn various business areas.

ConsVery conservative company. Decisions are slow. Raises and promotions are slow.

Worked for Southern Company? Contribute to the Community!