Southern Company

Updated December 11, 2014
3.7

Southern Company CEO Thomas A. Fanning
Thomas A. Fanning

Pros
  • Very good benefits and long term retirement (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, average salary made up some with bonus potential (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • I think it is hard to move up in the company without being here for a while (in 3 reviews)

• Slow moving bureaucratic organization (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong leadership, opportunities for advancement, good benefits

Cons

Company is made up of multiple affiliate companies. It can take a long time for management to make decisions that require the buy in from all companies

Good only if you can break through the 'Good Ole Boy' barrier

Current Employee - IT Analyst I, Client Support in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - IT Analyst I, Client Support in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Southern Company as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

From what I hear, the benefits are good and people tend to stay once they become full-time employees. I am contracted out to SCS located in the APC Corporate HQ. Some things like QoL is great and there's a lot to learn if you get with the right people.

Cons

They don't mind keeping folks at contractors for 5+ years, accountability means nothing here, and if you don't fit the demographics of "Southern Style" then start looking elsewhere. There are many who hold positions and they are no where near qualified for them. This especially applies to many of the technical feilds involved.

Please check the credentials of people you hire and premote. Just because they like your favorite college football team does not mean they are a good fit for the job...

This place will give you a real career.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Southern Company is arguably the best at what they do in the world! You will have experience working at a industry leader. There is room to grow, people move departments and jobs all the time. You get to acquire new skills, you will never hit a career ceiling unless you choose to. You get some of the best low cost benefits.

Cons

Don't listen to negative people in the office. Many people have worked here their whole career and don't know what it's like elsewhere. Don't take this job for granted, other people would love to work here and take your place.
    I imagine many departments are different, try to surround yourself with people you like and can work with every day.

Recognize your employees strengths and embrace those skills.

Great! A lot of good people

Current Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great! Southern has great leaders and benefits

Cons

I do no know of any

None

Great People to work with.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Southern Company full-time

Pros

- Professional
    - Good Team Work
    - Decent Pay
    - Hard Working Employees / Good Co-Workers
    - First Line Supervisors care for their employees' professional development ( unfortunately, due to Southern's culture, it is difficult for supervisors to make a major impact).

Cons

- Lack of work/life balance- it is NOT uncommon to work 50 hours per week - it is expected to be on call if needed ( weekends/ nights)
    - Sometimes process and procedures are convoluted and contradict each other.
    - High turn over rate of technical employees due to "busy/ non-technical work" assignments.

- Listen to your employees.
    - Clarify roles and responsibilities of departments and have clear realistic expectations.
    - Consider hiring more admin. assistants so engineers can truly focus 90% -100% on technical work.
    - You do an excellent job on hiring talented and smart people; however, not a good job on making sure technical employees are assigned technical tasks. Employees are you greatest assets, recognize that and invest in their professional development.

Class system and who you know

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Southern Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Easy going environment, free parking. If you stay here, you will likely be able to retire here with a pension.

Cons

The easy going environment is quite political behind the scenes. The company operates in a very southern style (no pun intended) where business decisions and support are based upon who you know. There are many, many camps and factions here. If not in the right one, you're toast! Northern and mid-western folks with different life experiences and broader perspectives from other parts of the country may struggle here. Contractors are treated as disposable assets. There is no sense of urgency to get anything done and if you are "on the inside" as an employee, this may be the job for you if you are accustomed to working within the realm of indecision.

Value everyone, including contractors

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Southern Company

Pros

Good pay and benefits, excellent bonus program

Cons

Difficult to advance without relocation.

Unbelievable

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary, career development, benefits, culture, etc etc etc

Cons

I honestly have not found any

Keep doing what you are doing

Only looks good from the outside looking in.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Southern Company (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Very laid back atmosphere
    - Flexible schedule
    - Decent Pay
    - Decent Benefits

Cons

- Advancing is very political and politics pays more than knowledge.

- Contract labor is viewed as very expendable and of little worth to most management. No benefits, no training, and no inclusion in most company functions. There is an us and them mentality from most of the company towards contractors.

- Aging work force is of no concern to management

- Unless you have a four year degree or a masters, advancement is very limited.

- Very much still a "good ol boy" network where it's more about who you know then what.

- A large majority of your work force is nearing the end of their career and yet you do nothing about it, this is going to come back to haunt you in the coming years.

- Get to know your managers. Alot of them are near retirement age and are costing out the door, making them VERY poor managers, and it is becoming a very sore subject for those working under them.

- More than 1/3 of SCS is operated by contract labor. Some who have been on board for several years and yet you continue to shun them. A lot are getting fed up with it and should the job market open up this could create a lot of turnover.

- The hiring process is WAY to convoluted. Jobs are being awarded based on networking instead of who is right for the job.

I work in the strategic finance group for Southern Company and have had a terrific learning experience.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst, Staff in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst, Staff in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southern Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Active learning environment with lots of support; I've never been hesitant to approach someone within my group or even outside for help on an issue large or small. This is part of the value system that is firmly implemented at SO and is very apparent in relation to other jobs I've held. Great exposure to management and even the executive level (in this specific position). Great benefits.

Cons

Southern is a very slow moving company so sometimes its difficult to actively pursue change or advancement in your career.