Southern Company

Southern Company Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Southern Company CEO Thomas A. Fanning

Thomas A. Fanning

Pros
  • Excellent transfer of knowledge, good benefits such as pension, health insurance, flexible work schedule(in 14 reviews)

• Good opportunities as well as work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Promoting minorities' over more qualified people was a common theme amongst the company(in 6 reviews)

• Baxley Georgia has nothing in it, besides Plant Hatch(in 3 reviews)

Definitely more good than bad

Computer Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsSeriously great people working at this company. Family atmosphere. Relaxed, low pressure working environment. Great benefits. You become very familiar with an industry that many people take for granted. Lots of different areas to work in and you are encouraged to try new things. Made some great friends working here.

ConsI left about a year ago and it came down to just feeling stifled in my job. There was a hiring freeze and "cost containment" i.e no training budget. I wasn't really feeling challenged in my job and my skills were getting stale. Combine that with the fact that pay is just perfectly average. Promotions are very hard to come by, and you get caught up in the HR grinder that happens at many huge companies. You have no idea if you are doing what you need to do to advance or not. Looking back, leaving was the right decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is by nature a conservative company. Many benefits don't really pay off until you have worked there forever. Unfortunately nowadays people don't work anywhere forever, especially in IT. Pay to keep top talent and make sure people are staying up to date with skills and training relevant to their jobs. There comes a point when the comfort of working here and the "stability" is only worth so much.

It has been very rewarding and I have met great people throughout my time with the company

Engineering Co-Op (Current Employee) Baxley, GA

ProsThe people are great and the southern hospitality is second to none. A small community but one that allows for plenty of friends to be made

ConsVery remote location with limited activities to participate in on the weekends. Travel is usually required for weekend trips of any kind.

Great Company

ProsConservative - The company makes decisions that create long term stability.

ConsConservative - Because of the very conservative approach, there is not a lot of innovation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

How do you obtain a job

NONE (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsHavent had the pleasure of experiencing the pros.

ConsThose impressive rejection letters that i receive

Advice to Senior ManagementI have applied for over 50 jobs with southern company. All of which, i know i qualify for. I have even drove nearly 4 hours for job interview. Only to be rejected via email. I can say those are some impressive rejection letter. Apparently southern company has impressive response for all their jobs.

As everything in life you take the good with the bad. In my case mostly great!

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsExcellent transfer of knowledge, good benefits such as pension, health insurance, flexible work schedule.

ConsPay compared to other industries it's low. The jobs are usually filled by you know more than what you know, in other words networking is key in this company

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make more emphasis on paying top dollar to keep too talent

Not what I expected

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe pension plan - if you remain long enough

Consno opportunities to advance and transfers out of area are discouraged

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at departments with high turnover - not all is retirement.

Great Long Term Company

Engineer I (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsI can tell why people spend their entire careers here. I have been working at Southern Company for a few years and I really enjoy the work. We are on the cutting edge of technology, always looking for ways to make things run more efficiently. The salary is on par with other companies and the benefits are really great (401k, Pension, etc...) .

ConsThe workload can be quite high and stressful on occasion. If you don't like you department/boss, try another one in the same company(there are many great ones).

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to your employees and let them do their work, but give good feedback and encouragement.

Unethical company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob stability, telecommuting
    Company volunteers in the community

ConsHR Management has vendetta toward specific employees. Organization participates in retaliation, age and racial discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed new senior management who cares about the employees and not just the bottom line.
    There are tremendous opportunities for improvement.

Good company and good benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsHave had lots of opportunities for different jobs
    Opportunity for training and development
    Good benefits and good pay

ConsCulture is very conservative, hard to effect change

Great Company

ProsGreat Opportunities and job security.

ConsPromotions from within slow and management is sometimes in the fog.

Worked for Southern Company? Contribute to the Community!