Southern Company Reviews

There is no "Southern Style" to be found here

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wilsonville, AL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wilsonville, AL

I worked at Southern Company as a contractor

Pros

Plenty of overtime to be had, even if you don;t want it. Some of the people you work WITH are great family people who are there just to try to make a living.

Cons

If you work as a contract employee and not directly for Southern Company, you are nothing more than the "hired help." They have zero respect for the opinions of specialists hired to perform certain job functions, simply because they are not Southern Co. They are dismissive towards contract employees, women are made to feel as if the only job they are qualified for is secretarial duties, and their attitude is abusive and discriminatory. The only way anyone gets a promotion is if their lips are firmly planted to the coat tails of the "important." There have been occasions where Southern Co personnel have verbally abused and cursed contract employees in front of witnesses. The Southern Co employee received zero disciplinary action, was just relocated to another part of the facility. The contract employee was allowed to keep his job, but only because he filed a formal grievance. Once the "investigation" was complete, the contract employee was let go. Even though the contract employees do not work for Southern Co nor do they fall in Southern Co chain of command, Southern CO takes every opportunity they can to push around , harass via email and phone, and threaten to fire contract employees. Most of the contract employees are there to just try to make a living and support their families. Southern Co takes advantage of this and uses this as a leveraging tool. For a company that claims to have Christian values, they certainly appear to have never picked up a Bible.

Get rid of cronyism and start promoting people based on merit, and not because they stroke your ego. Employ better team building between your personnel and contract employees. Everyone there is working as a team to get the goal accomplished. Your people only want to find mistakes, get people fired, and drag the ship down. Make it easier for contract employees to file grievances on your personnel without fear for their job. Open your eyes and realize this is the 21st century. There are plenty of women out there with brains and experience who are certainly more capable than some of the men you have employed. Give them a chance and stop tucking them away behind a "secretaries' desk. Stop claiming to be about "Southern Style," when the mannerisms and attitudes are not there to back it up. Realize that people there have families and would like to see them. Forcing them to work weeks at a time with no break does not foster a healthy environment.

2. Great place to work!

I have been working at Southern Company

Pros

Good opportunities to grow if you are in the right group

Cons

Salary and diversity
    Too much favoritism in some groups

3. Great company with great people

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Southern Company

Pros

Southern Company is truly a great company with great people. They promote mostly from within and put a heavy emphasis on developing talent internally. Salary has historically been competitive and the performance bonus is typically very generous. Internal Southern Style culture is as good as any corporate culture I've experienced. Leaders are generally competent and have come up through the ranks.

Cons

Salaries have not kept pace with industry recently. Being a large company, it's not uncommon for a mistake in a part of the company completely unrelated to your function to have a large, negative impact on your bonus. Organization structure in most areas is relatively flat, which does provide exposure to senior managers, but also limits promotion opportunities. You often have to take multiple lateral job transitions before you can expect to move up. The aging workforce is in transition as senior experts are retiring in large numbers. There does not seem to be a sense of urgency to replace these very valuable assets, especially on the technical side. Staffing levels are low in many groups, giving heavy work loads and poor work/life balance.

Prioritize technical development of support staff. Keep up the renewed operations focus, including developing our next generation of operations leaders, but give them some time to learn.

It's an okay place to work if you like southern culture.

Current Employee - Engineer in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a stable company. I understand that there are many people who like this place and that is totally good for them!

Cons

There are many cons. Firstly, the company is away too conservative and it is filled with old males. The cafeteria in Inverness has around 7 television screens and EVERY one of them is constantly tuned to Fox News. I've heard a myriad of racist and sexist comments during my five years working for this company an it's very disgusting. This is not at all a good pale for a younger technical professional to learn because the culture and knowledge retention programs are so regressive. There is no real knowledge retention program by the way, these old guys just fly by the seat of their pants. I've seen a few comments about how minorities apparently get priority promotion over others which is simply the most untrue thing that I've ever heard in my life. In actuality, the leadership is dominated by white men and there is absolutely no sign of that changing anytime soon. The middle management at this company are spineless and function mainly as yes men. The culture is extremely regressive and stupendously conservative. The company does a horrific job at actually training younger professionals. This is not the place where a young person with ideas should work. It's too stifling of an atmosphere and I personally have been searching for a much better position in another geographic location for a few months. I've gotten a few offers for interviews so let's hope that I can leave this company once and for all!!

Fire yourself and institute a younger and more dynamic and diverse set of individuals to make this company actually competitive. I'm afraid that you've lost me already but you may be able to keep other bright minds. Seriously folks, this is a terrible place to work and if you are a sane individual that hates politics, racism, sexism, and plain incompetent behavior, you won't want to work here at all! You have to ask yourself if stability trumps decency, innovation, and passion. To me, it sure as hell doesn't.

6. Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong leadership, opportunities for advancement, good benefits

Cons

Company is made up of multiple affiliate companies. It can take a long time for management to make decisions that require the buy in from all companies

This place will give you a real career.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Southern Company is arguably the best at what they do in the world! You will have experience working at a industry leader. There is room to grow, people move departments and jobs all the time. You get to acquire new skills, you will never hit a career ceiling unless you choose to. You get some of the best low cost benefits.

Cons

Don't listen to negative people in the office. Many people have worked here their whole career and don't know what it's like elsewhere. Don't take this job for granted, other people would love to work here and take your place.
    I imagine many departments are different, try to surround yourself with people you like and can work with every day.

Recognize your employees strengths and embrace those skills.

Good only if you can break through the 'Good Ole Boy' barrier

Current Contractor - IT Analyst I, Client Support in Birmingham, AL
    Current Contractor - IT Analyst I, Client Support in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Southern Company as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

From what I hear, the benefits are good and people tend to stay once they become full-time employees. I am contracted out to SCS located in the APC Corporate HQ. Some things like QoL is great and there's a lot to learn if you get with the right people.

Cons

They don't mind keeping folks at contractors for 5+ years, accountability means nothing here, and if you don't fit the demographics of "Southern Style" then start looking elsewhere. There are many who hold positions and they are no where near qualified for them. This especially applies to many of the technical feilds involved.

Please check the credentials of people you hire and premote. Just because they like your favorite college football team does not mean they are a good fit for the job...

9. Great! A lot of good people

Current Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great! Southern has great leaders and benefits

Cons

I do no know of any

None

10. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Southern Company

Pros

Good pay and benefits, excellent bonus program

Cons

Difficult to advance without relocation.

11. Unbelievable

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary, career development, benefits, culture, etc etc etc

Cons

I honestly have not found any

Keep doing what you are doing