Southern Illinois University

Southern Illinois University Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Southern Illinois University President Glenn Poshard

Glenn Poshard

Pros
  • The cost of living is relatively low, and so is the crime rate ((in 3 reviews)

• Very flexible schedule which is also great(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In general, potential work hours are severely limited for most student workers due to the 8 - 4:30 work hours(in 4 reviews)

• They are often unclear in their information about job availability for the future(in 2 reviews)

Directors in athletic media services are helpful!

Media Intern (Current Employee) Carbondale, IL

ProsWorking here you get a lot of hands on training.

ConsYou will have to work and travel a lot on weekends.

Good opportunity, but too much micro-management.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Carbondale, IL

ProsWorking with great professors and smart people.
    Chance to get teaching experience.
    Great co-workers.

ConsThe English department puts far too much workload on their GAs for the "20 hours" they are paid for.
    Throughout my time here, they consistently put more restrictions on our teaching, and made it more difficult.
    The administrative environment is currently in a lot of flux, so it's just a bad time to be at the school, right now.

State, regional & institution financial deficits have made it a tough place to work.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Carbondale, IL

ProsGood, commited faculty & staff, those that remain.

ConsTop researchers & productive faculty have left in droves. Over-bloated administration (how many vice-chancellors does a university of this size need?) and some Deans are not competent. The chancellor just left & a new president has just come in, so there's an opportunity for positive change.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mixed Emotions

Student Worker (Current Employee) Carbondale, IL

ProsWorking as a student worker here is great. Plenty of opportunities as there is always work to be done. Very flexible schedule which is also great.

ConsThere aren't so many challenges working here, as there are going to school here. I guess the worst part about it is no budget for training student workers. Which is to be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to take student workers out of their comfort zone.

GA position - Information Technoly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place
    Great supervisor
    Great opportunity

ConsI can't think of any

Good Experience

Computer Programmer (Former Employee)

Pros. Nice place to work.
    . Friendly environment
    . Colleagues are helpful
    . So many things to learn if you are working in Information Technology
    . Salary is good
    . Beautiful Campus and Town

Cons. Town lacks amusements and good restaurants

Program Director

Program Director (Current Employee) Carbondale, IL

ProsGreat working with non-traditional students

ConsAdministrators are clueless about their lousy administrators

Advice to Senior ManagementEducate yourselves about poor administration

Graduate Assistant at SIU

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Carbondale, IL

ProsYou have great people here to work with, and my job pays most of my tuition and stipend each month. It is the best job as a grad student can have while at school.
    For school part, I have been in SIU for 6 years; I did my undergrad here and right now I am in grad school; I love the environment of Carbondale, weather is always very nice and locals are very friendly as well.

ConsSometimes you have horrible and incompetent supervisors, but again it really depends on which department you work at. Because it is a public entity, underperformed employees are rarely being terminated.
    As a graduate student, I would rather not recommend my friends to come to SIU's graduate school, the reason is that the budget cuts have really put SIU in a terrible positions: many departments are underfunded and good professors left. There are so many classes not being offered anymore because departments have no money. If these things don't change in the future, it is hard to say SIU is really helping you to accomplish your academic goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe school really should concentrate on one core mission: does SIU try to be a more accessible school to general public or a research institute? I feel like they want to do both but often times they are not doing well on neither.

a college town with many friendly people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslow cost of living expenses

Conshmm, there are some good professors here. WSIU is a good place to do volunteer job/intern

Glory days are in the past.

Assistant Professor Or Administrative Professional (Current Employee) Carbondale, IL

ProsSIU Carbondale is a comprehensive research institution. It has a wide variety of programs and research centers for those who are interested in interdisciplinary collaborations. The library was recently renovated, and a new student services building was added earlier this year. The campus looks great; it is nestled in the Shawnee National Forest. On any given day, you will find white-tail deer frolicking around campus. The green spaces are neatly manicured and most classrooms are being renovated with Smart Boards or wireless technology. A new president was recently hired, and there is some hope for improvement. The cost of living is relatively low, and so is the crime rate (...it really depends on the comparisons you make). Even the lowest performing schools are probably better than average, and there are diverse living communities as well as homogeneous ones - whichever you prefer. If you are a young, single, professional, you may find Carbondale stifling. However, if you are middle-aged, married, or an empty nester, it isn't a bad place to settle and possibly retire.

ConsEmployee morale has been declining for the last decade. State funding is drying up and enrollment has declined by nearly 7000 students (from 25,000 to roughly 18,000) since the mid 1990s. Cuts in state appropriations and improvements in info tech have driven campus-wide reorganization of nearly every unit. However, personnel decisions are inconsistent and the most productive people are not always the ones to survive budget reductions. Many employees have retired recently, but most of their positions have been downgraded in terms of both title and salary, and duties expanded. If you are an A/P staff person in middle management (director level), there is nothing for you here. However, if you are just starting, SIU is a nice springboard to bigger and better opportunities (particularly at the coordinator level). For junior faculty, promotion and tenure decisions are inconsistent. There are numerous recent cases of highly productive junior faculty being denied tenure. However, if you are in the right department, come with a great pedigree, and have secured external funding for your research, you can survive the process with moderate scrutiny.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen conducting internal searches, be sure to make the process open and fair. I have seen some people move effortlessly from post to post without making much of a difference in any of them. Yet, they are revered and trusted by everyone in central administration to serve as stewards of the institution. There are good people with good ideas suffering in dead-end jobs all over campus, who refuse to subject themselves to the application process anymore because they do not have the right connections. In addition, conducting a national search for openings does not necessarily result in netting the best candidate, but it definitely sends the message to current employees that applying is a waste of time (unless you have been asked to apply by a powerful ally).

Worked for Southern Illinois University? Contribute to the Community!