Southern Illinois University

Southern Illinois University President Glenn Poshard

Glenn Poshard

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Advanced Clerical

Advanced Clerical (Former Employee)
    Springfield, IL

ProsNice people, easy tasks to fullfill, casual environment.

ConsI was hired on a temporary basis with promises for a more permanent opprotunity. Ended up being asked to leave early because apparently there was no more work that needed to be done. Thanks for catching us all up, but you can leave now...I understand that there were issues from the get-go because I could not learn their system since I was "temporary help", but I feel that was bad planning on their part and I got the short end of the stick

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile management are kind people, I felt a high lack of professionalism on their part. They sought someone to help them in a time of need. However, they did not do the research or ask the right questions in the beginning to get the proper permision needed for all of the amenities, such as a computer, that a person may need to actually do the work needed. Instead of doing six months worth of backed up filing.

Worst job and employer, ever, after 20+ years!

Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee)
    Springfield, IL

ProsGood coverage/ability to be evaluated for medicaid patients.

ConsDirty! The clean/sterile technique was the most appaling I've ever seen by physicians and nurses, actually there wasn't any!
    Extremely disorganized, NO ONE new what was going on, or what should be going on!
    Would never allow my family to be a patient there.
    Long hours d/t disorganization.
    Support staff extremely unprofessional.
    Quit after 8 weeks, wouldn't want to tarnish my good reputation or be associated with that type of poor care, I have ethics!

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up and organize, disgusting for a state organization or any organization!

Dr. Swango trained here and paranoia lingers.

Faculty Physician (Former Employee)
    Springfield, IL

ProsIt is partially funded by government, which improves job security. Even if you are not on tenure track you will still have well above-average job security. If you are on tenure track you can have superb job security. Some medical students and residents are highly capable and appreciate quality teaching. The patients are a good mixture of different socioeconomic classes and they appreciate good medical care and most of them try to cooperate, they are good to work with. Nice State Museum in town. Easy to get around, little traffic, lots of supermarkets, reasonably friendly townsfolk, Lincoln culture is good, good medical care is available from private MDs, good hospitals, some good public schools, some good home neighborhoods.

ConsOriginal work is obstructed. No mentorship for academic MDs. No real campus, the SIU campus is 200 miles away in Carbondale. No socialization opportunities among faculty except once/year at "meet the new faculty" and a one-day softball competition. Administration is inbred and proud of it, Dean and several chairs trained there; their academic credentials are unusually weak compared to other med schools. School lawyers participate closely in internal administration. Administrators are overly intrusive, probably ever since serial killer Dr. Swango (an SIU M.D. graduate) became famous. Arduous call and weekend work with little to no compensation. Especially for its size Springfield is unusually violent with epidemic daytime assault-robberies in and near downtown. Little culture available except for Lincoln exhibits, few decent restaurants, harsh weather, for good air travel must drive to St Louis 100 miles. In the community SIU medical care is generally seen as no better than from private MDs and sometimes not as good.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuality improvement is needed, this is more like a trade school than an academic place. To improve quality the Deans and Department Chairmen need to be as well qualified (before their positions) as at medical schools with admirable quality. Inbreeding in administration is undesirable and should be minimized. Decrease the responsibility and authority of lawyers unless they are full-time regular teaching law faculty.

Worked for Southern Illinois University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southern Illinois University reviews and ratings in Springfield, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southern Illinois University CEO Glenn Poshard. All reviews posted anonymously by Southern Illinois University employees.