Southern Refrigerated Transport

Updated May 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tony Smith

I worked for SRT from 2007 thru 2010 as a Driver/Trainer also on the Drivers Executive Board I always had great miles.

Driver/Trainer (Former Employee) Texarkana, AR

ProsI always had great miles, hometime and great equipment while I was there. I have thought about going back many times dispatch was always helpful when calling between the hours of 8am to 5pm. I always felt as though they had my back if I needed them. Would go back in a heart beat if I needed to.

Cons1.Night dispatch was a little out there sometimes but that is the way it is with most large companies I have worked for over the last 37 years.
    2.Time in & out of shop could have been quicker always seem to take a day or to to get back out once you went into OC for shop repairs.
    3.Trucks need to be washed more often than once a month
    4.Needed to hire more drivers that cared about the trucking industry,the equipment they drive and the company they work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more money and incentives to drivers that have the years behind them in this industry to retain the good them in the door and to retain the good ones.
    Need to hire dispatcher & fleet managers that have experience not only in the industry but also inside the cab on the road as drivers so they to understand what a driver has to go through daily.

Rip-Off Kings of the Trucking Industry

OTR Driver (Former Employee) Texarkana, TX

Prosthe only good thing about this company is they have got some pretty good equipment

Consthis company is the biggest rip off I have ever seen.i have 17 years of driving experience and my checks were NEVER over $500. I worked for this company for six months and for five weeks out of those six months I did not make a check at all.during the entire month of December,2013, I only made $820. the month before I only made $760. this should tell you that there is a lot of sitting with this company.they take more out of your check than they should and cant explain what for.if you ask them why your check is so low they will tell you that you took out too many advances.oh,yeah,and they consider lumper fees and scale tickets and motel rooms for break downs to be personal advances.they only pay your reimbursement once a month and then you don't get all of them.if you are thinking about going to work for this company,please,think again.YOU WILL STARVE AND GET WAY BEHIND ON ALL YOUR BILLS.

Advice to Senior Managementstart paying attention to the driver and get rid of all the free loading dispatchers...start with week end and night dispatchers.week end and night dispatchers screw drivers every chance they can just so they don't have to work...

Southern Refrigerated Transport is a good employer

Lease Operator (Former Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsOverall the company is a good company.

ConsI have no complaints about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire me to develop your lease program

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

THIS COMPANY HAS RIPPED OFF SO MANY DRIVERS AND THEIR FAMILIES

Company Solo OTR Driver (Former Employee) Texarkana, TX

ProsNone that I can think of

ConsThe first thing you'll notice about this company is the mandatory per diem requirement they place on every new driver, they will take $.03 from every trip their new driver runs and say it helps you get bigger paychecks and pay less taxes, don't believe the hype, this is a ripoff pain and simple. Don't ever try to offer any input when given a load such as alternative routes that could save the company time and fuel, they don't care, they'll insist the route they give you is the shortest even if it makes you overshoot your destination. If you ever get into an argument with dispatch, don't call them on the phone, put everything on the qualcomm so you have a record of what you said to the idiot dispatcher, they will tend to talk to you like you're a slave instead of an employee. Did you ever hear the news about the driver who died in his truck and wasn't located for two weeks and then the company charged the family to have the body shipped back home, this was SRT. Also if and when you ever decide to quit working for them, make sure you're close to home or the company will take the cost of your bus ride back home out of your final check, plus anything else they can nickel and dime you for, expect an incorrect complaint from them to your DAC report whenever you leave the company for whatever reason. If you're thinking of driving for them, turn around
     and run as far away as you can.

In spite of where this site says they are located, they are located in Texarkana, Ark. This city
    is located on the border with Texas.

they are disorganized and care nothing about drivers home time

Owner/Oper (Current Employee) Texarkana, TX

Prosmoneys ok and they keep you moving

Consthey don't care about where you want to run or when you want to get home

We need to focus harder on safety, and, security.

Driver/Trainer (Current Employee) Texarkana, TX

ProsI like working produce and meat loads.

Constraining department has been suspended. Some policies regarding teaching new hires: mgmt will treat new hires training environment poorly. Sample: trainer will stop driving truck due to a flat tire, steel cords are showing to be exposed, try to teach new hire safe practices. however, i recvd way too much communication from people whom are not on the ground seeing the problem and they will state flat out drive on the tire. Teaching new hires good judgement becomes difficult without mgmt listening to their trainers. Safety Bonuses: drivers must meet set criteria for achieveing bonus. Sample: driver must drive 33,000 miles in one quater, the truck must average over 6.0 miles per gallon and no accident occurred. However, if mgmt can not get the driver the mileage then no bonus is paid. Downside is: driver can be laid over for 7 days where the driver was available to get a load, but Company will not pay bonus because driver was short the minium mileage criteria.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe, when discreation is available to mgmt for payout of bonuses and the employee has held up their side, where its mgmt whoms at fault by not having the freight, then mgmt should payout the bonus. Also, trainers and their judgement when teaching new hires should be emphasized versus clouded the judgement of newly hired employees.

worst company

Driver (Former Employee)

Prosi had a great dispatcher. thats about the only good thing i can say about this company!

Consthey completly lie to you about everything, from the pay to everything they told me. i quit with them after a short time. i took my truck back to the terminal and did everthing i was suppose to but now they are not giving me my final pay check...because of out of route mile even though i went by their navigation.they would have charged me $1.25 a mile if they would have came to pick the truck up. i was not under a load or anything.their medical ins is way more expensive than most other places, they say you have prepass but they charge you for it(learned that after i was in orintation).they charge you for everything. if you have a low tire they charge you $100,they only care about making money for themselves..DO NOT WORK FOR SRT!!!

Advice to Senior Managementstop ripping your drivers off!

Worked for Southern Refrigerated Transport? Contribute to the Community!