Southern Refrigerated Transport

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014
2.1

Tony Smith

I worked for SRT from 2007 thru 2010 as a Driver/Trainer also on the Drivers Executive Board I always had great miles.

Former Employee - Driver/Trainer  in  Texarkana, AR
    Former Employee - Driver/Trainer in Texarkana, AR

I worked at Southern Refrigerated Transport full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I always had great miles, hometime and great equipment while I was there. I have thought about going back many times dispatch was always helpful when calling between the hours of 8am to 5pm. I always felt as though they had my back if I needed them. Would go back in a heart beat if I needed to.

Cons

1.Night dispatch was a little out there sometimes but that is the way it is with most large companies I have worked for over the last 37 years.
    2.Time in & out of shop could have been quicker always seem to take a day or to to get back out once you went into OC for shop repairs.
    3.Trucks need to be washed more often than once a month
    4.Needed to hire more drivers that cared about the trucking industry,the equipment they drive and the company they work for.

Offer more money and incentives to drivers that have the years behind them in this industry to retain the good them in the door and to retain the good ones.
    Need to hire dispatcher & fleet managers that have experience not only in the industry but also inside the cab on the road as drivers so they to understand what a driver has to go through daily.

A "family company" that doesn't care about your family.

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Texarkana, AR
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Texarkana, AR

I worked at Southern Refrigerated Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the workers are friendly. Pay is good starting out. $12 an hour. Has benefits, if you can actually afford them.

Cons

-No more than 2 days in a row of vacation time is allowed in the recruiting department.
    -Supervisors and upper management do NOT communicate. You will be bounced around to multiple tasks that are impossible to complete simultaneously.
    -If upper management feels the recruiting number isn't to his/her satisfaction, whole department stays 30-60 minutes longer while they leave for the day.
    -Told to hang up on drivers that do not meet qualifications. If they call back, just tell them they are not qualified, give no explanation, then hang up on them again. If they continue to call, send to voice mail and do not return calls.
    -Very negative environment.
    -Benefits are so over priced, you can not afford them.
    -No lateral movement with in the company. Once you are in safety or recruiting, you are not eligible to try for positions in other departments.
    -Forced to work weekends.

Get on the same page and communicate with other supervisors, owners, etc.
    Treat your employees like they are people.
    Treat the drivers with respect even if they do not meet qualifications. Do not leave them out to dry for days/weeks on end.

Rip-Off Kings of the Trucking Industry

Former Employee - OTR Driver  in  Texarkana, TX
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Texarkana, TX

I worked at Southern Refrigerated Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

the only good thing about this company is they have got some pretty good equipment

Cons

this company is the biggest rip off I have ever seen.i have 17 years of driving experience and my checks were NEVER over $500. I worked for this company for six months and for five weeks out of those six months I did not make a check at all.during the entire month of December,2013, I only made $820. the month before I only made $760. this should tell you that there is a lot of sitting with this company.they take more out of your check than they should and cant explain what for.if you ask them why your check is so low they will tell you that you took out too many advances.oh,yeah,and they consider lumper fees and scale tickets and motel rooms for break downs to be personal advances.they only pay your reimbursement once a month and then you don't get all of them.if you are thinking about going to work for this company,please,think again.YOU WILL STARVE AND GET WAY BEHIND ON ALL YOUR BILLS.

start paying attention to the driver and get rid of all the free loading dispatchers...start with week end and night dispatchers.week end and night dispatchers screw drivers every chance they can just so they don't have to work...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

THIS COMPANY HAS RIPPED OFF SO MANY DRIVERS AND THEIR FAMILIES

Former Employee - Company Solo OTR Driver  in  Texarkana, TX
    Former Employee - Company Solo OTR Driver in Texarkana, TX

I worked at Southern Refrigerated Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

The first thing you'll notice about this company is the mandatory per diem requirement they place on every new driver, they will take $.03 from every trip their new driver runs and say it helps you get bigger paychecks and pay less taxes, don't believe the hype, this is a ripoff pain and simple. Don't ever try to offer any input when given a load such as alternative routes that could save the company time and fuel, they don't care, they'll insist the route they give you is the shortest even if it makes you overshoot your destination. If you ever get into an argument with dispatch, don't call them on the phone, put everything on the qualcomm so you have a record of what you said to the idiot dispatcher, they will tend to talk to you like you're a slave instead of an employee. Did you ever hear the news about the driver who died in his truck and wasn't located for two weeks and then the company charged the family to have the body shipped back home, this was SRT. Also if and when you ever decide to quit working for them, make sure you're close to home or the company will take the cost of your bus ride back home out of your final check, plus anything else they can nickel and dime you for, expect an incorrect complaint from them to your DAC report whenever you leave the company for whatever reason. If you're thinking of driving for them, turn around
     and run as far away as you can.

In spite of where this site says they are located, they are located in Texarkana, Ark. This city
    is located on the border with Texas.

Southern Refrigerated Transport is a good employer

Former Employee - Lease Operator  in  Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Lease Operator in Olathe, KS

I worked at Southern Refrigerated Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall the company is a good company.

Cons

I have no complaints about this company.

Hire me to develop your lease program

they are disorganized and care nothing about drivers home time

Current Employee - Owner/Oper  in  Texarkana, TX
    Current Employee - Owner/Oper in Texarkana, TX

I have been working at Southern Refrigerated Transport

Pros

moneys ok and they keep you moving

Cons

they don't care about where you want to run or when you want to get home

We need to focus harder on safety, and, security.

Current Employee - Driver/Trainer  in  Texarkana, TX
    Current Employee - Driver/Trainer in Texarkana, TX

I have been working at Southern Refrigerated Transport

Pros

I like working produce and meat loads.

Cons

training department has been suspended. Some policies regarding teaching new hires: mgmt will treat new hires training environment poorly. Sample: trainer will stop driving truck due to a flat tire, steel cords are showing to be exposed, try to teach new hire safe practices. however, i recvd way too much communication from people whom are not on the ground seeing the problem and they will state flat out drive on the tire. Teaching new hires good judgement becomes difficult without mgmt listening to their trainers. Safety Bonuses: drivers must meet set criteria for achieveing bonus. Sample: driver must drive 33,000 miles in one quater, the truck must average over 6.0 miles per gallon and no accident occurred. However, if mgmt can not get the driver the mileage then no bonus is paid. Downside is: driver can be laid over for 7 days where the driver was available to get a load, but Company will not pay bonus because driver was short the minium mileage criteria.

I believe, when discreation is available to mgmt for payout of bonuses and the employee has held up their side, where its mgmt whoms at fault by not having the freight, then mgmt should payout the bonus. Also, trainers and their judgement when teaching new hires should be emphasized versus clouded the judgement of newly hired employees.

Good equipment, terrible dispatch.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Southern Refrigerated Transport

Pros

The equipment is some of the newest on the road.

Cons

Dispatch procedures and attitudes are absolutely the worst. The blame can be laid directly on upper management. Communication is virtually nonexistent.

There is no advice to give to those who don't care to change.

worst company

Former Employee - Driver
    Former Employee - Driver

I worked at Southern Refrigerated Transport for less than a year

Pros

i had a great dispatcher. thats about the only good thing i can say about this company!

Cons

they completly lie to you about everything, from the pay to everything they told me. i quit with them after a short time. i took my truck back to the terminal and did everthing i was suppose to but now they are not giving me my final pay check...because of out of route mile even though i went by their navigation.they would have charged me $1.25 a mile if they would have came to pick the truck up. i was not under a load or anything.their medical ins is way more expensive than most other places, they say you have prepass but they charge you for it(learned that after i was in orintation).they charge you for everything. if you have a low tire they charge you $100,they only care about making money for themselves..DO NOT WORK FOR SRT!!!

stop ripping your drivers off!

Worked for Southern Refrigerated Transport? Contribute to the Community!